ADVERTISEMENT

Whether you’re a gung-ho or so-so HCPN fan…..

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
So PSN has an article on CFB HC rankings done by a couple guys at the Athletic. Tiers 1-8 from best to worst. I think Saban, Smart and Dabo were the only tier 1 coaches.

HCPN was ranked tier 4. Hard to evaluate that unless you have more details on the criteria for each tier. Except when you see what coaches they have ranked tier 3 - just about all other ACC coaches except NCST’s Doreen who was in tier 4 with HCPN and then the couple obvious candidates ranked somewhere lower than tier 4.

I don’t care if you’re big time pro-HCPN or lukewarm to lower on him, I think we’d all agree that tier 4 for him is a little ridiculous.

i know im far from objective on the matter but i'd rank him in the top 4 HCs in ACC. probably, without doing a ton of research, i'd say 3 at the highest and 5 at the very lowest. so yeah, 4..

• Haha
Reactions: HTownStiller
These things are always so stupid because it's like they don't take the program's baseline into account. It should be based on how much each coach is operating above or below stasis for their particular school. I'm fine with assigning a little extra weight the further up the hierarchy you go, but they come out with these lists that look closer to top 25 rankings or something.

Reactions: GHOSTOFPHATWOOD
So PSN has an article on CFB HC rankings done by a couple guys at the Athletic. Tiers 1-8 from best to worst. I think Saban, Smart and Dabo were the only tier 1 coaches.

HCPN was ranked tier 4. Hard to evaluate that unless you have more details on the criteria for each tier. Except when you see what coaches they have ranked tier 3 - just about all other ACC coaches except NCST’s Doreen who was in tier 4 with HCPN and then the couple obvious candidates ranked somewhere lower than tier 4.

I don’t care if you’re big time pro-HCPN or lukewarm to lower on him, I think we’d all agree that tier 4 for him is a little ridiculous.
Now give Sabo and Saban PITTs roster and give Narduzzi either of their rosters. It’s amazing what top talent does to coaching rankings

Now give Sabo and Saban PITTs roster and give Narduzzi either of their rosters. It’s amazing what top talent does to coaching rankings
Well they do recruit their players and retain them. Part of coaching . But it would be interesting.

Reactions: CJsE
Many if not most of those … media sources? Take profiles of their readers, including the all important “what teams do you support”…and tailor these ‘polls’ to them

• Haha
His recruiting NEEDS to impore. Other than that, he is definately a very good coach.

it’s like endorsements in politics and celebrities in advertising. I really could care less what they think

Duzz is about as good as we can get at Pitt. He’s coached up some pretty entertaining teams who have been pretty competitive. The program is about where Pitt should be. A consistent top 25 team with the potential for a special season once every 5 years or so

I’ll take it.

Many if not most of those … media sources? Take profiles of their readers, including the all important “what teams do you support”…and tailor these ‘polls’ to them
Ohh ok. So before writers for The Athletic write their article they check their “Subscriber Allegiance” metrics then tailor their opinions to the results? Man, I’d love to see what factual basis you have for this statement.

Also, If Lance Leipold and Brohm are T3 coach then Duzz is at least that high.

• Haha
Reactions: paradox1984
Ohh ok. So before writers for The Athletic write their article they check their “Subscriber Allegiance” metrics then tailor their opinions to the results? Man, I’d love to see what factual basis you have for this statement.

Also, If Lance Leipold and Brohm are T3 coach then Duzz is at least that high.
BINGO.

RESULTS are what matters.

I'm sure there are people at your work who, dress the part, speak the part, and have great reputations, but they don't get results. Yet, they're looked upon as great management material...

That's what we have in the case of Leipold and Brohm. Neither has done a thing to warrant a T3 rating....

Narduzzi in low tier 3 or high tier 4, whatever. The results have been solid, recruiting and some game-day coaching need work, but his ability to develop talent and get players to the NFL has been very good.

The bigger issue is some of the T3 coaches. Brohm? Mack Brown isn't the guy who won a title at Texas anymore. Campbell is overrated. Clawson gets overhyped because "it's hard to win at Wake Forest." Guess what, it was hard to win at Pitt for a long time too and Narduzzi is doing it. Fleck is a gimmick coach and you can keep going on with a bunch of the other guys on this list. When you look at results, there isn't much difference and Narduzzi hasn't had any complete duds like some of these HCs.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
He’s done well here. But elite? Stop with the nonsense. If he was anywhere near elite teams would be beating the door down to try and hire him away.

how do we know they aren't? only time that stuff goes public is when a) coach wants a raise and it's leaked by their agent or b) they're moving in on hiring the coach.

agent of the coach leaks the info. It's clear Narduzzi wants to stay at Pitt .. 20 wins in 2 years is elite. I'd bet a billion dollars that schools are calling constantly.

• Haha

Yeah I couldn’t care less what some article says or someone randomly ranks, all I know is our team is better than it was before he got here

What he’s able too do with PITTS resources has been nothing short of elite. If you can’t see that, you don’t understand cfb
What does Pitt lack in resources??? Cash, maybe, but not much else. And having a pro team here doesn't hurt.

That Dabo ranking certainly aged well.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT