ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Penn State steal Marshall's motto?

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I saw a movie called, "WE ARE MARSHALL!"

The movie was based in 1970.

Penn State actually stole this phrase and acts like it is their own.

#WE ARE refers to the good folks in Southern West Virginia. A program that suffered a REAL tragedy, not one that was caused by a rogue coach who was then covered up. But real tragedy, real death. Real issues, not some bogus sanctions.

WE ARE. MARSHALL!

There are a few out there that everyone uses, they are just cheers. Two of the most common ones are "We are" and "Let's go", and I'm sure there are probably others too. Let's go Pitt! Let's go Mountaineers! We are Penn State! We are Marshall! Even the high school cheerleaders use them. Think of back to your high school days, your cheerleaders probably used something like these.

Funny thing is that everyone thinks they are unique to them, that the cheers are theirs.

Like Sweet Caroline, I've heard it used by the Boston Red Socks, Montreal Canadiens, and the Carolina Panthers. I think I've heard it on TV during PoSU games too.

Last edited:
We are isn't the only thing PSU invented in their minds. White outs were created by them though NHL stadiums in the early 80's beg to differ. White zombie jumping also was created by penn state though the english premier league had them beat yet again. They do though have a leg up on revisionist history.

Reactions: bwh05 and buckage
But I do think they were the first to let pedophiles use their football team and campus to lure victims.

We are isn't the only thing PSU invented in their minds. White outs were created by them though NHL stadiums in the early 80's beg to differ. White zombie jumping also was created by penn state though the english premier league had them beat yet again. They do though have a leg up on revisionist history.

Because it is lame and has the scent of desperation

A 'WE ARE' cheer is lame & has the scent of desperation?

Most cheers are lame when you get right down to it don't you think?

And since you are the cheer expert, What would be a good cheer and how can you tell which ones have the scent of desperation and which ones do not?

I was responding to jimmy franks using the 412 idea from PITT! I don’t really care about plagiarizing a chant that many use!

A 'WE ARE' cheer is lame & has the scent of desperation?

Most cheers are lame when you get right down to it don't you think?

And since you are the cheer expert, What would be a good cheer and how can you tell which ones have the scent of desperation and which ones do not?

There are a few out there that everyone uses, they are just cheers. Two of the most common ones are "We are" and "Let's go", and I'm sure there are probably others too. Let's go Pitt! Let's go Mountaineers! We are Penn State! We are Marshall! Even the high school cheerleaders use them. Think of back to your high school days, your cheerleaders probably used something like these.

Funny thing is that every thinks they are unique to them, that the cheers are theirs.

Like Sweet Caroline, I've heard it used by the Boston Red Socks, Montreal Canadiens, and the Carolina Panthers. I think I've heard it on TV during PoSU games too.
There were a bunch of nitters from McKeesport at a pirates game last summer, chanting the we are crap. But nobody paid attention to them

#WE ARE refers to the good folks in Southern West Virginia. A program that suffered a REAL tragedy, not one that was caused by a rogue coach who was then covered up. But real tragedy, real death. Real issues, not some bogus sanctions.

WE ARE. MARSHALL!
I did some research on this years ago when I heard it at USC Game and asked some Fans how long they were cheering it at USC, most said they did not know.

I went to many Penn State Games in the 1970s there was no such cheer but by the 1980s it was done at Penn State. Once at a college football seminar, I asked someone at that worked at Penn State and they explained it. They said. way back when Northern Teams went to Bowl Games, there was still segregation and no African-Americans allow on Teams. When a Penn State Players arrived to play at a Bowl Game a Hotel would not allow the Player to stay there and Players and Coaches got together on what to do? One Player gave his opinion, and said, "WE ARE" Penn State together or some kind of paraphrase. The Publicity Department at PSU was very aggressive as Attendance and Stadium grew and that Cheer was used ever since sometime in the 1970s.

Now Pitt had some History of its own too in Integration. when and African American Player still played at a Peach Bowl Game in Georgia and Pitt said they were playing regardless of what State Law or there would be no game. The Refs called a Fathom Foul on the Pitt Player and Pitt lost!

In 1963 Alabama Bear Bryant Team was not voted in Polls a NCS and Bear led the way to advocate soon Integration in SEC and that happen in Football, but at some SEC SChools that did not happen in Basketball until 1970's. One can google and get details on that far better than aspects in this post.

In any event, there were other myths that became facts by some Penn State Faithful by what was termed Paterno Publicity Department, but Joe building a Football Program when Pitt, Wvu and Cuse and others were not caring anymore as they limited Scholarships & Medical Redshirts under the Big Four Agreement to just 25 a year and later adopted by the NCAA. Joe brought in many Redshirts when he took over like 35 every year that did not play as freshmen so he said there was no violations and Players Foreign Language Requireme4nts were removed. Pitt did not do that and still limited Redshirst to 10 Medical Only and this caused much problems for Pitt, Wvu, and Cuse having far less Players on the rosters. Paterno and others at Penn State saw CFB as a future big money maker and once they went undefeated in 1968-69, and football grew on TV so did Penn State winning. Pitt woke up in 1972 and started to do the same thing and its first act was withdrawing from the Big Four Agreement! Wvu and Cuse followed and it took them to improve in teh 1870s too and into the 1980s.

1. Penn state First Colors were not Blue & White, but Pink and Black. The Black faded to a worn out to darker blue and pink turned to a less pink to white, so they were changed to Dark Blue & White.

2. The first Mascot at Penn State was Coaley The Mule, that first build some buildings when Penn State was known as the Farmers High School. He was often taken by students and put in buildings as a joke. His Bones on still displayed in a Building at Penn State somewhere. Some say, they see his ghopst sometimes? The Nittany Lion Name came in 1900's when Princeton Baseball team was playing Penn State and bragging about being "Tigers" and a Penn State Student got upset and said, well, have Nittany Lions here at Penn State. The name for Cougars, Panthers and Mountain Lions are all the same too. Pitt adopted Panthers and I think was the first University to do it?

The First Animals killed off by settlers and hunted to protect chickens, cows, pigs brought by settlers trying to live and develop new farms, were Panthers and Wolves, and many were killed off in Pennsylvania along with Parrots and Beavers to sell pelts and feathers as civilization advanced westward.

A Link on Penn State Myths!
LINK:
http://www.psu.edu/ur/about/myths.html

In addition, when I was at USC Game in 2013, they used Three Bell Sounds GONGS when the Defense was trying to stop Third Downs. Now I hear it at many CFB & NFL Games and they have been doing it way before, I do not know, but Athletic and Sports Publicity Departments are always looking for New Ways to attract and publicize games and traditions and taking motto's, inventing slogans, and changing traditions happens often now.

The Ole Rebel has been removed, the Penn State Grand Experiment, Success with Honor and the Penn State Way, and Pitt to Pittsburgh, Panther tooth and Pittsburgh Dino Cat back to Pitt Script? New Day and New Dawns and New A.D new logos, uniforms, and coaches and new rivals when old ones are discontinued?

Pederson was paying big money to Consultant's at Pitt and Nebraska on Publicity and his Ego driven Ideas while saying going back to Point Script would not win more games???? At some point, the New Chancellor Gallagher quit listening to him and he resigned! Rebuilding a Great Football Program can only happen when a Chancellor makes it happen by finding the right people to do it?

Last edited:
Reactions: #99HUGHgreen

WE ARE. MARSHALL!

I don't know about any of this. But I do know that PSU is looking into filing a lawsuit against Jack White for stealing the tune to Seven Nation Army from PSU.

It figures their first mascot would have been a jack ass!!!

I did some research on this years ago when I heard it at USC Game and asked some Fans how long they were cheering it at USC, most said they did not know.

I went to many Penn State Games in the 1970s there was no such cheer but by the 1980s it was done at Penn State. Once at a college football seminar, I asked someone at that worked at Penn State and they explained it. They said. way back when Northern Teams went to Bowl Games, there was still segregation and no African-Americans allow on Teams. When a Penn State Players arrived to play at a Bowl Game a Hotel would not allow the Player to stay there and Players and Coaches got together on what to do? One Player gave his opinion, and said, "WE ARE" Penn State together or some kind of paraphrase. The Publicity Department at PSU was very aggressive as Attendance and Stadium grew and that Cheer was used ever since sometime in the 1970s.

Now Pitt had some History of its own too in Integration. when and African American Player still played at a Peach Bowl Game in Georgia and Pitt said they were playing regardless of what State Law or there would be no game. The Refs called a Fathom Foul on the Pitt Player and Pitt lost!

In 1963 Alabama Bear Bryant Team was not voted in Polls a NCS and Bear led the way to advocate soon Integration in SEC and that happen in Football, but at some SEC SChools that did not happen in Basketball until 1970's. One can google and get details on that far better than aspects in this post.

In any event, there were other myths that became facts by some Penn State Faithful by what was termed Paterno Publicity Department, but Joe building a Football Program when Pitt, Wvu and Cuse and others were not caring anymore as they limited Scholarships & Medical Redshirts under the Big Four Agreement to just 25 a year and later adopted by the NCAA. Joe brought in many Redshirts when he took over like 35 every year that did not play as freshmen so he said there was no violations and Players Foreign Language Requireme4nts were removed. Pitt did not do that and still limited Redshirst to 10 Medical Only and this caused much problems for Pitt, Wvu, and Cuse having far less Players on the rosters. Paterno and others at Penn State saw CFB as a future big money maker and once they went undefeated in 1968-69, and football grew on TV so did Penn State winning. Pitt woke up in 1972 and started to do the same thing and its first act was withdrawing from the Big Four Agreement! Wvu and Cuse followed and it took them to improve in teh 1870s too and into the 1980s.

1. Penn state First Colors were not Blue & White, but Pink and Black. The Black faded to a worn out to darker blue and pink turned to a less pink to white, so they were changed to Dark Blue & White.

2. The first Mascot at Penn State was Coaley The Mule, that first build some buildings when Penn State was known as the Farmers High School. He was often taken by students and put in buildings as a joke. His Bones on still displayed in a Building at Penn State somewhere. Some say, they see his ghopst sometimes? The Nittany Lion Name came in 1900's when Princeton Baseball team was playing Penn State and bragging about being "Tigers" and a Penn State Student got upset and said, well, have Nittany Lions here at Penn State. The name for Cougars, Panthers and Mountain Lions are all the same too. Pitt adopted Panthers and I think was the first University to do it?

The First Animals killed off by settlers and hunted to protect chickens, cows, pigs brought by settlers trying to live and develop new farms, were Panthers and Wolves, and many were killed off in Pennsylvania along with Parrots and Beavers to sell pelts and feathers as civilization advanced westward.

LINK:

In addition, when I was at USC Game in 2013, they used Three Bell Sounds GONGS when the Defense was trying to stop Third Downs. Now I hear it at many CFB & NFL Games and they have been doing it way before, I do not know, but Athletic and Sports Publicity Departments are always looking for New Ways to attract and publicize games and traditions and taking motto's, inventing slogans, and changing traditions happens often now.

The Ole Rebel has been removed, the Penn State Grand Experiment, Success with Honor and the Penn State Way, and Pitt to Pittsburgh, Panther tooth and Pittsburgh Dino Cat back to Pitt Script? New Day and New Dawns and New A.D new logos, uniforms, and coaches and new rivals when old ones are discontinued?

Pederson was paying big money to Consultant's at Pitt and Nebraska on Publicity and his Ego driven Ideas while saying going back to Point Script would not win more games???? At some point, the New Chancellor Gallagher quit listening to him and he resigned! Rebuilding a Great Football Program can only happen when a Chancellor makes it happen by finding the right people to do it?

The one I hate the most is the Denver Broncos "In-com-plete!" That one gets on my nerves.

LINK:

"ncyajleel, post: 834638, member: 2576"]It figures their first mascot would have been a jack ass!!!
LOL! You are correct and many Alumni spew all kinds of Myths about Penn State history that are outright just wrong and and the first remark they say back to you, is "Hey buddy I went there and I know I am right?" With today's Smart Phones just say, go google it! The dumb ones just leave with a sigh, the smart ones, thank you for letting them know, kind like some Bloggers on this Board? Education is only good when you know how to use it and share it and learn it together? You are correct though some of "JA's" are drunk in the stands!

LINK:

http://onwardstate.com/2014/08/26/old-coaly-the-mule-who-built-penn-state/

Last edited:

WE ARE. MARSHALL!
Stealing is what they do.

Where did "unrivaled" start? Because to me, it means something completely different than what it means to them...and it's nothing to pump your chest about.

In advancing education on the Lair to share, found this gem on We Are PSU Origins and they also admit in the Article many of the Orientations of Penn State Students are not entirely true? I knew some of the details told to me years ago, but not all of them as below in the link! Now even I learned something new today because the Question came up on the Lair, I can't wait to use this on some pf my PSU Friends. If the PSU Band started to use the Goose Step one if the believers would say Hitler copied it from Paterno? He believes everything Paterno's Myths advanced at Penn State and just Hates anything about Pitt?
Excerpt:
Earlier in the month, Onward State, ran a “Penn State History Lesson” which claimed that the origin of the iconic “We Are Penn State” phrase and cheer was from the actions of the 1947-48 football team, who admirably stood up to racial prejudice. The story is beautiful and inspirational. The story has been repeated multiple times by Onward State, The Daily Collegian, Penn Stater alumni magazine, the Centre Daily times and more. I understand it’s become part of Penn State’s orientation for students. It’s also not true.

LINK:
http://onwardstate.com/2015/09/25/the-true-origin-of-we-are-penn-state/

Last edited:

WE ARE. MARSHALL!
Thank You Owtie, we finally got to the bottom of where the true chant and cheer started due to your posts on the Lair, Looks like it was stolen from Ohio State and USC, not Marshall, and started in the "981 Ref Guman Nebraska Football Cheat Game" that led to Joseph Vincent Paterno First National Title????

Not the Phoney Baloney I was fed by Penn State Lawyer claiming it came from Penn State Noble stand up to Discrimination? Once Again another Penn State Paterno Publicity Myth exposed as another Fraud!

I knew I did not hear such a cheer until early 1980s, but now below we know it was copied from Ohio State and USC way back in 1975 but still not perfected until 1981?
Excerpts:
"We watched as this loud roar of 'O-H' rolled down the field to an 'I-O,' " recalled Don Mains, then a sophomore and the Penn State "mic man," the cheerleader who leads the crowd in cheers with a microphone. "It was phenomenal," said Dennis, another sophomore at the time. "They started to do this 'O-H? I-O' back and forth. We were impressed." That experience inspired the cheerleaders, but they weren't sure how to instill the Buckeyes' spirit and liveliness in the seemingly stoic Nittany Lion crowd. Part of the answer came a few weeks later while the cheerleaders watched a televised game from the Los Angeles Coliseum. None of the Penn State cheerleaders can remember the opponent, but when they saw the USC cheerleaders leading the home crowd in a rapid chant of "We are SC!" they knew they were on to something. The USC cheer was fast-paced, with only a slight pause between the "We are" and the "SC." It was repeated rapidly several times: "We are SC! We are SC! We are SC!" So using the Ohio State and Southern Cal cheers as their framework, the Penn State cheerleaders developed a new cheer for 1976 and tested it in the student section, then located in the north end of Beaver Stadium. The first three games of the season were all at home — Stanford, Ohio State and Iowa — and the cheerleaders tried to get the students to cheer "We are Penn State!" without any pauses between the words. "It went nowhere," said Krimmel. Of course, the fact that Penn State lost to Ohio State and Iowa may have dampened the students' enthusiasm, but the cheerleaders were disillusioned.

The fourth game was at night against Kentucky in 3-year-old Commonwealth Stadium. As was usually the case with a night game, the atmosphere before kickoff was electrifying. "There was this unbelievable roar back and forth across the stadium, with one half yelling 'Blue' and the other half screaming 'White,' " remembered Krimmel. "We knew that would work for us." So the cheerleaders placed a pause between the first two words and the last two and began teaching it to the students. It continued to be a slow, grueling process. "We had to work section by section," Twardzik said, "and the Blue Band drummers tried to help with a 'boom, boom' in the pause between the two sides screaming 'We are' and 'Penn State!' " The cheerleaders labored throughout the 1976 and 1977 seasons with varying results.....
Still, it took another three years for the cheer to be fully adopted by Penn State fans. It was during the second game of the 1981 season at Nebraska that the cheerleaders were encouraged to press on despite the continued lethargy among students and alumni........
However, in 2006, a movie debuted about the 1970 plane crash that virtually wiped out the Marshall University football team. The movie was called "We are Marshall." Its title evoked the cheer that allegedly became the inspirational rallying cry for the resurrection of the team, the university and the town of Huntington, W.Va., where the school is located. The popularity of the movie elicited assertions in several media outlets that perhaps the Penn State folks had taken Marshall's cheer and made it their own. Chris Spencer of the Huntington News looked into the claim, and in a story published on Jan. 4, 2007, he reported that Marshall's cheerleaders created the cheer in 1988 and first used it on Oct. 8 of that year in a game against Furman. So much for Hollywood folklore. In the past two years, another radically different version of the conception of Penn State's cheer has gained credence, particularly after the following account was publicized in The Penn Stater alumni magazine in November 2009. In an article about the 1946-47 football teams and Penn State's first African-American football letterman, Wally Triplett, author Michael Weinreb described an incident during the 1946 season in which the team voted against playing a game at Miami because segregated Miami told Penn State to leave Triplett and the team's other black player, Denny Hoggard, home. "The game was canceled," Weinreb wrote. "Some months later, All-American lineman Steve Suhey assured his teammates that there would be no more need for meetings like this. The decision would stand forever. 'We are Penn State,' he told them, and Triplett and others would like to believe that this phrase somehow worked its way from Suhey's mouth into Penn State's enduring mythology; that even if it is mere coincidence, this phrase still echoes as an invocation of the school's embrace of modernity and civil rights."
So, accept the mythology the next time you hear the cheer, but be sure to remember about all those diligent cheerleaders of 30 to 35 years ago who made it come alive.

LINK To THINK:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/lou-prato-we-are-cheer-was-years-in-the-making,970985/

Another Penn State Myth Broken by educated people at Penn State but posted on Rivals Pitt's Lair to educate the Cult Nittany Liars and Penn state should change that Orientation to include the full real truth not just part of it, that is what led to the Culture of Myths & Cover Ups that caused nightmares to children!

Last edited:
NO!!!!

They stole it from Southern Cal

Yep, USC does it.

And my high school (De La Salle up in Detroit, MI) did a "We are .... La Salle" chant when I was there.

So, we have:

"WE ARE ...... MAR-SHALL!"

"WE ARE ....... S C!"

"WE ARE ....... PENN STATE!"

"WE ARE ........ LA SALLE!"

It's just functionality. If you're school can easily be recognized via two short syllables, the "WE ARE .... X X!!!" chant works and flows very well.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Yep, USC does it.

And my high school (De La Salle up in Detroit, MI) did a "We are .... La Salle" chant when I was there.

So, we have:

"WE ARE ...... MAR-SHALL!"

"WE ARE ....... S C!"

"WE ARE ....... PENN STATE!"

"WE ARE ........ LA SALLE!"

It's just functionality. If you're school can easily be recognized via two short syllables, the "WE ARE .... X X!!!" chant works and flows very well.
But....not....WE ARE...BETTER? At Coaching?

Don't forget many Pitt Alumni were hired to make The Farmer High School Land Grant into a College and then University in 1954! Pitt was founded when Penn State was a Plow Field?

Just some friendly ribbing! Franky still got a good class coming in, and keep up the Good Posting!:rolleyes:

we-are-marshall-movie09.jpg

I remember hearing it at USC games in the OJ Simpson era, which was a few years before the Marshall plane crash . . . both of which were before I began hearing it at State Farm.

I actually thought it was stolen from USC. But that aside, this thread is hilarious, as it migrates to white outs and the like
You were not wrong, it gets funny, first they learned about coming up with a new cheer after being beaten at Ohio State, then that did not work, and they saw a USC Game on TV, then changed it again, and that did not work? Then they went to Loud Speakers and the PSU Fans were still confused! By that time, the very Cheerleaders that thought by copying it from OSU & USC were gone???

Then in 1981, when Ref Guman a close friend of Joe Paterno who gave his son a Scholarship, cheated and made a call against Nebraska and all of they sudden
it started.....then the University told Nittany Lies a story on how it happen way back to help help integration in the souith and taught it to all its New Students at orientation that have once again, spread it among many Nittany Liars!?

I remember hearing it at USC games in the OJ Simpson era, which was a few years before the Marshall plane crash . . . both of which were before I began hearing it at State Farm.

Good point on State Farm. That leads to MORE questions .........

(1) Where does USA for Africa fall into this timeline?

(2) What school gets royalties when they do those "We Are ... Fox Sports!" bits on FSN?

:)

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I actually thought it was stolen from USC. But that aside, this thread is hilarious, as it migrates to white outs and the like

Wait a second ------ did you really adjust my name where you quoted me? Changed my name from "michnittLION" to "michnittLIOIT"?

If you're going to go to all that effort --- you may as spell IDIOT correctly!! Come on, oleidiot!! :)

Good point on State Farm. That leads to MORE questions .........

(1) Where does USA for Africa fall into this timeline?

(2) What school gets royalties when they do those "We Are ... Fox Sports!" bits on FSN?

:)
I am just glad the full story came out, and that is now going to be a Life Learning Event from other Big Ten Fans & Pitt, Temple, and WVU to teaching Nittany Lion Fans!

Glad you are here, will post Schedules soon after Signing Day and we can discuss some ideas on predictions for all 3 schools. Talk real football for a great game in September, not myths! It is still a good cheer and they do it so well and has become a reality!

I still like PITT IS IT better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT