ADVERTISEMENT

Why Pitt is screwed because of TV

I hear it would take 10-11 members to vote a team out. I don’t think it would happen because there are at least 5 other teams in the same boat.
At some point they are going to realize that Rutgers is an anchor to the conference. The model that helped Rutgers (being in an area with a huge population base for cable TV) is no longer viable.

In the other thread people were saying things that make no sense. Hope to clarify things and show why we are screwed.
ACC current network deal pays each school $17/year and runs until 2036. As a comparison Big 12 is $20 yr but the contract is up next year. Pac 12 is $21 million and is up in 2024. For the ACC to exceed either of these conferences today it must add a team that is worth about $92 million a year ($17 million each school is already getting + $75 million ($5 million/team for 15 teams now). The only team with this much juice is ND and if you are ND will you say we're worth $90 million but only take $22 million so our basketball/non revenue sports conference can survive. And if we really do need a conference is there one out there (Big 10 whose media rights is already over $50 million/team before adding USC and UCLA). So what do you think will happen?

As for Pitt being marketable. Maybe on the field but not off. I currently pay $1.86/month for the Big 10 network. Don't want it. Barely watch it except for an occasional hockey game and maybe a hoop game. But it's part of the sports package of FS1, NBA, NHL, MLB etc. Can't opt out Now compare us to Minnesota. Let's be real conservative that Big 10 network is only in 2 million homes across the state. So Minnesota is generating $4 million/month or $50 million/year. Big 10 already has PA TVs so Pitt adds nothing. Maybe a few eyeballs that ticks up the Nielsen numbers but the contracts are signed for multiple years and Pitt is not bringing $50 million a year eyeballs to ESPN or whoever gets the contract.

The only way to get out of the contract is for something big to happen. It's only ND and like I said above. Not happening. Most likely others will jump and the ACC will be happy to keep its deal. And if the Big 10 expands more, and they will. AZ, Utah CO and OR are the best candidates because of the Big 10 network. Maybe not in Oregon but they have an alumnus who has considerable sway with a lot of athletic departments so they will be fine when this is done.

My guess is two 20 team conferences (SEC and Big 10) so the four schools I mention previously those 4 to the Big 10. SEC poaches 4 from the ACC and we are behind UNC, FSU, Miami, VA Tech, Clemson and at least VA. Any of those schools get approached. Bye. Bye.

So the best we can do is that the two giants are done. Big 12 and Pac 10 (can say that now) media deals stay within a few million of the $17 million the ACC will be getting so were not blown out of the water. And a ton of NIL flows in.

Sorry guys.
I think they’d want Arizona State before they’d take Arizona. ASU is HUGE and in Tempe which is part of the greater Phoenix metro area.

At some point they are going to realize that Rutgers is an anchor to the conference. The model that helped Rutgers (being in an area with a huge population base for cable TV) is no longer viable.
I’ll let you know when there are rumors about Rutgers being kicked out. I just don’t see it in the near future.

Has any member from the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, PAC 10 been removed ?

And Pitt, Syracuse and BC.

WVU has zero small cities. Literally not a city over 50k and we got into a P5 league.

I’ll let you know when there are rumors about Rutgers being kicked out. I just don’t see it in the near future.

At some point the middle of the road schools want some wins. The role of Rutgers, Vandy, Indiana etc is to provide those wins to Ped State, Mich State, Iowa, Auburn etc.

At some point the middle of the road schools want some wins. The role of Rutgers, Vandy, Indiana etc is to provide those wins to Ped State, Mich State, Iowa, Auburn etc.
Everybody keeps saying this. Those schools don’t control that.

TV does. They want captivating matchups….as many as they can provide. They don’t care if Iowa has 9 very difficult games.

There was a published article on this just about a week ago:
Penn State = 10th in viewership: 2.55m avg
WVU = 30th: 1.27m avg
VT = 31st: 1.26m avg
Pitt = 44th: 781k avg.
It was the same in 2011 and it didn’t help one bit!!!! I know… This time it’s gonna be different!!!!!!

You guys are dreamers ….

Reactions: singregardless
It was the same in 2011 and it didn’t help one bit!!!! I know… This time it’s gonna be different!!!!!!

You guys are dreamers ….
You’re arguing against no one. I literally don’t know one fan who thinks we end up in the SEC (the only option between the two).

If you read the 247 board, there’s probably a few thousand comments and not one includes one that says we end up SEC.

Why don’t you go jump off a bridge?

Everybody keeps saying this. Those schools don’t control that.

TV does. They want captivating matchups….as many as they can provide. They don’t care if Iowa has 9 very difficult games.
Conferences control scheduling. And the SEC sets it up to maximize the number of playoff participants. They don't want their top teams all with multiple losses.
What is gold to a conference is a team that has a reputation of being good but actually sucks. This is what Texas brings to the SEC. And what Ped State brings to the B1g.
And the next tier down is the auto win category.
There are only so many TV slots to fill.
A slaughterhouse of a schedule isn't going to help those teams. Alabama might win the conference. If they have 4 losses, are they legit as national champs if other teams are undefeated?
The B1g uses the meat grinder schedule argument all the time without an actual tough schedule. It doesn't help them nationally with perception.

Reactions: ShipofFools
You’re arguing against no one. I literally don’t know one fan who thinks we end up in the SEC (the only option between the two).

If you read the 247 board, there’s probably a few thousand comments and not one includes one that says we end up SEC.

Why don’t you go jump off a bridge?
Don’t need to jump off a bridge. That’s for people with no life who constantly visits this board to spread opinions and passes them along as fact….

Take a leap…

You guys are dreamers ….
Wrong. It actually did. Among other things, it got us into the B12 which has paid it's members more $$$ every year versus the ACC. But, you can believe what you wish.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Conferences control scheduling. And the SEC sets it up to maximize the number of playoff participants. They don't want their top teams all with multiple losses.
What is gold to a conference is a team that has a reputation of being good but actually sucks. This is what Texas brings to the SEC. And what Ped State brings to the B1g.
And the next tier down is the auto win category.
There are only so many TV slots to fill.
A slaughterhouse of a schedule isn't going to help those teams. Alabama might win the conference. If they have 4 losses, are they legit as national champs if other teams are undefeated?
The B1g uses the meat grinder schedule argument all the time without an actual tough schedule. It doesn't help them nationally with perception.
With a difficult schedule, a champion could absolutely have 2-3 losses in this new construct.

You need to change the traditional mindset of “0-1 losses or else”.

TV is going to dictate that. Ohio St will be playing 6-7 legit games a year. Not 3. The current format drives the carriers mad because there’s not enough captivating inventory for them.

This is precisely the reason why the figures are going to be out of control, they’re creating scheduling flexibility, having numerous powerhouses in only 2 leagues, etc. It’s all changing.

Thankfully, it would make September college football a thing. Current September football is abysmal.

Wrong. It actually did. Among other things, it got us into the B12 which has paid it's members more $$$ every year versus the ACC. But, you can believe what you wish.
I don't get the dick swinging over how much money the tv contract is worth. What did that get WVU? How many NY6 bowls? Conference titles? Ranked at end of season? The fans pay the money. So you actually paid more for inferior performance. And this makes you proud.

I don't get the dick swinging over how much money the tv contract is worth. What did that get WVU? How many NY6 bowls? Conference titles? Ranked at end of season? The fans pay the money. So you actually paid more for inferior performance. And this makes you proud.
what are you talking about?

He was responding to the original ignorant comment.

And his response was correct.

With a difficult schedule, a champion could absolutely have 2-3 losses in this new construct.

You need to change the traditional mindset of “0-1 losses or else”.

TV is going to dictate that. Ohio St will be playing 6-7 legit games a year. Not 3. The current format drives the carriers mad because there’s not enough captivating inventory for them.

This is precisely the reason why the figures are going to be out of control, they’re creating scheduling flexibility, having numerous powerhouses in only 2 leagues, etc. It’s all changing.

Thankfully, it would make September college football a thing. Current September football is abysmal.
And it will be like a mid November game between the NYG and the Iggles both at 6-4 battling for division supremacy. Nobody other than the fans of those teams are watching that.

Reactions: singregardless
REALLY??!! Sorry to wake you up from your slumber, but TV revenue is 100% what is driving the bus. It has allowed WVU to invest shit tons into it's facilities over the past few years (which, among other reasons, is helping drive the best recruiting class we've had in a couple of decades).

By the way, in just about every measurable metric, WVU has outperformed Pitt over the past 10, 20, 30, 40 years. Yeah, you guys had a pretty good year last year, but one year doesn't change your stripes. Pitt is still considered a mediocre program with piss poor fan support.

More fantasies… LOL! If you were an asset, the ACC or the SEC would have invited WVU. They didn’t…. FACT! You can believe what you want, only take it to your message board…,

REALLY??!! Sorry to wake you up from your slumber, but TV revenue is 100% what is driving the bus. It has allowed WVU to invest shit tons into it's facilities over the past few years (which, among other reasons, is helping drive the best recruiting class we've had in a couple of decades).

By the way, in just about every measurable metric, WVU has outperformed Pitt over the past 10, 20, 30, 40 years. Yeah, you guys had a pretty good year last year, but one year doesn't change your stripes. Pitt is still considered a mediocre program with piss poor fan support.
Once again, it didn’t help you then and it won’t help you now… Let’s cut to the chase….

Deep deep deep down, you know WVU has never and will never be on the same level with Pitt in any category. If you did, you wouldn’t be here…You hang around here to try and convince us and yourself that it’s not true. But it is… Stop kidding yourself. When the smoke clears, Pitt will be fine. WVU? Maybe, if the ACC saves your possum grease and invites your favorite team. Save this post too…

Case closed, clown…🤡

what are you talking about?

He was responding to the original ignorant comment.

And his response was correct.
And what did it net you as a fan? WVU got more of your money. Your cable or streaming service costs you more. Ticket prices probably went up.
What measurable benefit to football performance resulted?
This money isn't coming from alchemy. It is coming from the fans.
I would argue that WVU fans have not had a positive return on that investment. But yet the money figures get thrown around like a Ped State fan arguing about their attendence at the Illinois game.

I love it. I am home sick with Covid, and honestly the board has been lame. So I am pleased to have riled some of you inbreds up.
So your response here is about recruiting rankings of an as of yet unsigned class and attendance. You must have some pedophile blood in you to use those as your go to metrics.
So let me profile you...from Greene County, Pa. Got a GED. Flunked out of PSU Altoona and graduated from WVU.

And what did it net you as a fan? WVU got more of your money. Your cable or streaming service costs you more. Ticket prices probably went up.
What measurable benefit to football performance resulted?
This money isn't coming from alchemy. It is coming from the fans.
I would argue that WVU fans have not had a positive return on that investment. But yet the money figures get thrown around like a Ped State fan arguing about their attendence at the Illinois game.
This is priceless. Pitt fan telling a WVU fan about the value of its two big boys teams to the fans.

It was a non-issue since we pay our student debt off in 30 days compared to 60 years for Pitt fans 🤣

Suckers.

You don't need to let me know anything about any rumors. But thanks for playing, anyway.

This is priceless. Pitt fan telling a WVU fan about the value of its two big boys teams to the fans.

It was a non-issue since we pay our student debt off in 30 days compared to 60 years for Pitt fans 🤣

Suckers.
Student debt as a measure of football success. That's a new one.
Wow, now I fully expect Pitt to lose the opener.
So how do you pay off those loans so quickly? Is that some govt program for the disabled?

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I love it. I am home sick with Covid, and honestly the board has been lame. So I am pleased to have riled some of you inbreds up.
So your response here is about recruiting rankings of an as of yet unsigned class and attendance. You must have some pedophile blood in you to use those as your go to metrics.
So let me profile you...from Greene County, Pa. Got a GED. Flunked out of PSU Altoona and graduated from WVU.
Close. Live in Chicago, Am COO of a company employing 24,000 people. And most likely paid more in taxes last year than you will make in a lifetime.

Close. Live in Chicago, Am COO of a company employing 24,000 people. And most likely paid more in taxes last year than you will make in a lifetime.
Wow. I am impressed. So why not post on the pay board? You can afford it.
But really, both you and I know you are lying.
Rich people don't pay taxes, unless they're rich and dumb.
So post that tax return and prove it!

Wow. I am impressed. So why not post on the pay board? You can afford it.
But really, both you and I know you are lying.
Rich people don't pay taxes, unless they're rich and dumb.
So post that tax return and prove it!
Alrighty then. Let's bet on the game. Even up---no points. I will concede that WVU is far superior so we'll make it up on the money line.
If WVU wins, I will pay you what I paid in US federal, state and local taxes.
If Pitt wins, you pay me what you paid in US federal, state and local taxes. Tax year 2021.
You know you can afford it. Are you scared?

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Once again, it didn’t help you then and it won’t help you now… Let’s cut to the chase….

Deep deep deep down, you know WVU has never and will never be on the same level with Pitt in any category. If you did, you wouldn’t be here…You hang around here to try and convince us and yourself that it’s not true. But it is… Stop kidding yourself. When the smoke clears, Pitt will be fine. WVU? Maybe, if the ACC saves your possum grease and invites your favorite team. Save this post too…

Case closed, clown…🤡
And if you felt that sure about pitt and down on WVU the way you just did, you wouldn't be using the stereotypical name calling. Some of us come on other school's boards to defend our school because you're talking in public for all to see. That is that point. And to say WVU will never be on pitt's level in anything, including sports? You're dreaming.

Alrighty then. Let's bet on the game. Even up---no points. I will concede that WVU is far superior so we'll make it up on the money line.
If WVU wins, I will pay you what I paid in US federal, state and local taxes.
If Pitt wins, you pay me what you paid in US federal, state and local taxes. Tax year 2021.
You know you can afford it. Are you scared?
Only a dipshit would do that. First, nowhere have I stated WVU is far superior...I've only stated we are far from inferior. And, in fact, in most measurable metrics over the past several decades, we rate above Pitt. Two, you would have to be a moron to bet you even up when I can bet in Vegas or online and get probably 5-6pts. Maybe a moron such as yourself would do that, but not me.

Two, I don't have to prove shit to you about what I do or what I make. But, your moronic posts pretty much cement my belief that you aren't in the same zip code on pretty much any level.

And if you felt that sure about pitt and down on WVU the way you just did, you wouldn't be using the stereotypical name calling. Some of us come on other school's boards to defend our school because you're talking in public for all to see. That is that point. And to say WVU will never be on pitt's level in anything, including sports? You're dreaming.
Most of us are only here (and checking out a few other boards) only to see how other programs are viewing the recent conference news and trying to get a gauge on what the general consensus is on the matter. Somehow, a few of these guys are flattering themselves thinking it is because we could give two damns about Pitt.

Only a dipshit would do that. First, nowhere have I stated WVU is far superior...I've only stated we are far from inferior. And, in fact, in most measurable metrics over the past several decades, we rate above Pitt. Two, you would have to be a moron to bet you even up when I can bet in Vegas or online and get probably 5-6pts. Maybe a moron such as yourself would do that, but not me.

Two, I don't have to prove shit to you about what I do or what I make. But, your moronic posts pretty much cement my belief that you aren't in the same zip code on pretty much any level.
I’ll bet you think you’re impressing folks when you buy two cartons of milk at lunch, don’t you?

Damn son, you sound like a 6th grader.

WVU does some things really well. They
uncovered the VW emissions scandal. That was a PhD student I think. That's good.
WV the state's problem is the corruption in WV politics. The extraction industries underwrite it all, but they care not for those left behind.
I read a book a while back written by a WVU prof Russell Sobel. He wrote about how income and deprivation was very different in WV counties and the counties directly across the WV state line. He looked into the regulatory environment and legal environment as main culprits.
But yeah, this is an anonymous free sports discussion board. And we kind of like rivalry games, and this is one.
I used to live in WV, and my brother still does.
Bring your A game Pitt insult stuff to the board. Would love to see it.
But I wish no harm nor ill will on the state that changed sides in the middle of the Civil War. That may be the last correct decision WV has made.

Reactions: pittmeister

Well mate, you just made my point. Even with incredible new facilities and all this Big12 money, you are still an underdog to Pitt! So what of value came from that money?
Illinois gets B1g tv money. They suck at football. Tv money doesn't equal automatic wins.
Um, I didn't ask how much you make ...you brought that up. So you are actually arguing with yourself.
I am impressed at your resilience. I keep knocking you down and you keep getting up. But now you're angry. That makes you vulnerable. I prey on the weak and vulnerable.

Most of us are only here (and checking out a few other boards) only to see how other programs are viewing the recent conference news and trying to get a gauge on what the general consensus is on the matter. Somehow, a few of these guys are flattering themselves thinking it is because we could give two damns about Pitt.
Well mate, you just made my point. Even with incredible new facilities and all this Big12 money, you are still an underdog to Pitt! So what of value came from that money?
Illinois gets B1g tv money. They suck at football. Tv money doesn't equal automatic wins.
Um, I didn't ask how much you make ...you brought that up. So you are actually arguing with yourself.
I am impressed at your resilience. I keep knocking you down and you keep getting up. But now you're angry. That makes you vulnerable. I prey on the weak and vulnerable.
Dejavu. We went through this ten years ago. We’ll be fine. Pitt has more power than most realize. The ACC has not been touched. HailtoPitt!

There’s not enough money for 64 teams. Big Ten equally distributes the TV money to all team members. We heard there was a billion dollar contract before USC UCLA to be divided by 14 teams or $71 million a year per team. It’s all about the money. The ACC, PAC 10 and BIG 12 can still exist but getting more like $10-15 million a year per team.

If there's not enough money then teams like Rutgers won't stay in the Big Ten indefinitely. It'll keep stratifying.

You can keep feeding the alligator but you'll run out of food eventually and when it comes on the boat, you'll be the first to be eaten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT