ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s final four

I enjoy watching women’s sports While it’s not high level basketball it’s still entertaining much like watching lower level men’s sports or high school sports. In some ways it’s more pure in that it’s a more team oriented game and is not as corrupted by big money

I think where people get turned off (and maybe that was the OPs point) is the hype around Clark and the woman’s tourney. Some are comparing it to men’s hoops (I heard someone comparing Clark to Pete Maravich). The truth is Iowa and South Carolina would get beaten by most boys highschool teams like the women’s national soccer team got curb stomped by a boys high school team. I think it’s interesting to compare level of dominance in their sport but that’s where the comparison ends. They are two different games period, to be enjoyed for their own unique qualities (or not if that’s not your thing)

The US Women's soccer team got blown out by an elite U14 or U15 team. Iowa or South Carolina would get blown out by an elite 9th grade team. Iowa and South Carolina would also get blown out by elite 9th graders. They arent going to get beat by Ringgold's varsity.

The US Women's soccer team got blown out by an elite U14 or U15 team. Iowa or South Carolina would get blown out by an elite 9th grade team. Iowa and South Carolina would also get blown out by elite 9th graders. They arent going to get beat by Ringgold's varsity.
You do realize there is almost as much of a difference between the ability and athleticism of a 14 year old and an 18 year old as a 18 year old man and a 22 year old woman Why do many women’s teams get guys to practice against them. These are essentially dudes who played high school basketball that couldn’t play college ball at any level

And the fact that is was a 14 or 15 U team that bets the woman’s makes it even worse They got smoked by little boys

No one posting in the thread could beat Caitlyn Clark in a 1 v 1….

So what’s the point here?

Reactions: cease10
You do realize there is almost as much of a difference between the ability and athleticism of a 14 year old and an 18 year old as a 18 year old man and a 22 year old woman Why do many women’s teams get guys to practice against them. These are essentially dudes who played high school basketball that couldn’t play college ball at any level

And the fact that is was a 14 or 15 U team that bets the woman’s makes it even worse They got smoked by little boys

Listen, I rip the women's team all the time for losing to FC Dallas U15s but that's an elite U15 team of kids in 9th grade. To play on a team like that, you have to be a man, from a maturity standpoint. You cant be this little scrawny 9th grader who looks like he's 11. These are kids who hit puberty early and look 18-20. Actually, there was a push by US Soccer to use "biological age" instead of birth year because you'd have all these kids who were 2, 3, 4 years more mature/physically developed making these birth years teams and the late developers were being left behind. Nothing ever came of it though. From a sports science perspective, I think its a great idea. If you are a soccer club investing in 12, 13, 14 year old players, do you want the kid who looks 18 already? Because he may be done developing. Everyone picks those kids though because they are really good RIGHT NOW.

Wasn't the issue this year with UConn that they had zero depth due to injuries?
Yes, they only had 10 active players (!) for 4 games this year. Crazy amount of injuries. I guess that could happen again, but typically they're going to have a lot more depth, which is what South Carolina had going for them. Paige Bueckers will be back (though even she's had two knee surgeries too)

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Yes, they only had 10 active players (!) for 4 games this year. Crazy amount of injuries.

That sentence reads kind of oddly (at least to me) so I want to clarify for people, they only had as many as 10 players dressed for four games this year, they had fewer than 10 for all the rest. By the end of the season they were dressing eight.

BTW, 18.7 million people watched the final. That was more than any basketball game since the Virginia - Texas Tech men's championship game in 2019 and slightly more than game six of the NBA finals that same year.

BTW, 18.7 million people watched the final. That was more than any basketball game since the Virginia - Texas Tech men's championship game in 2019 and slightly more than game six of the NBA finals that same year.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Clark was the intrigue for me. I won't be back until the next women's prodigy takes the stage.
Without a phenom at Clark's level, I do wonder what the ratings will be like next season? They'll still be very good for sure. But Iowa UConn FF was 14.2 and South Carolina NCSU FF was 7.1. I bet USC NCSU was actually up too because people watched it in waiting watch Clark or see who she might play. Will the ratings drop to half or a third of what they were this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT