ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s ncaa soccer tournament

Genuine respect for how hard Mertz goes, at all times.

Zailski is a frigging tank. So sound & in command - she never looks rattled. Lucky to have her.

Reactions: mike412
It was a very good win. We dominated possession and controlled the first half. Georgetown came out very hard in the 2nd half and controlled play. I thought they would tire out, and they did a little. We created very few chances in the 2nd half. I can’t think of one really good one.

But, we shut them down and I don’t think they had a good chance in the last 20 minutes. After we had to change goalies, I don’t think they had anything resembling a shot.

It was a very good win. We dominated possession and controlled the first half. Georgetown came out very hard in the 2nd half and controlled play. I thought they would tire out, and they did a little. We created very few chances in the 2nd half. I can’t think of one really good one.

But, we shut them down and I don’t think they had a good chance in the last 20 minutes. After we had to change goalies, I don’t think they had anything resembling a shot.
Yeah I can’t say I was closely watching as I was grilling dinner in the 2nd half but we probably had a change of tactics and seemed to really stay organized in the back and limited Gtown’s chances.

Next round will be a challenge, but like I said a couple weeks ago when we played FSU…we were right there with them. Were we better? No. But we showed that we belong on the field with them, and if we can get the 1st this next go around, we have a real shot.

You are welcome everyone, I called it all. I said start fast, get possession and score early. Although I didn’t call that shit goal by Georgetown. With Georgetown playing a 3 back and we had West playing I’d think we would have owned them on both wings and scored more goals. Georgetown didn’t look great today, and Pitt caught them just right. What is the status of the goalie, mom contact knee injury usually says a tear.

Reactions: Chaos and Fk_Pitt
Great, now they're going to demand charter flights and same level of hotels as the men's team. Just kidding. Cool to see them advance. I had the end of the game on in the background. Announcers seemed like Pitt was totally dominant. FSU will be super tough I guess but what Waldrum has done has been unreal. I think he had a tougher job than Vidovich because he is recruiting suburban American girls vs SEC/ACC/Big 12 where all the P5s play women's soccer. The SEC and Big 12 dont play men's soccer so the recruiting competition is less but Jay recruits mostly in Europe. He isnt really battling big land grants for some upper middle-class suburban kid.

Great, now they're going to demand charter flights and same level of hotels as the men's team. Just kidding. Cool to see them advance. I had the end of the game on in the background. Announcers seemed like Pitt was totally dominant. FSU will be super tough I guess but what Waldrum has done has been unreal. I think he had a tougher job than Vidovich because he is recruiting suburban American girls vs SEC/ACC/Big 12 where all the P5s play women's soccer. The SEC and Big 12 dont play men's soccer so the recruiting competition is less but Jay recruits mostly in Europe. He isnt really battling big land grants for some upper middle-class suburban kid.
Was telling a friend about this last night. I don’t know about the Vball program, I can’t imagine it was as dire as mens and womens soccer. But it goes to show you that you can win at Pitt. I don’t care what program it is. The mens and womens soccer teams were worse than the Stallings basketball team. They had decades of nothing. Not even a home field. So if they can rise from the dead, anyone can. All it takes is an elite coach. When the university decides to move on from Capel, they should open the checkbook and get themselves an elite coach. Sell him by showing him the soccer programs and explaining that basketball would be much easier to rebuild and succeed than soccer. It’s either invest in a slam dunk coach now, or continue to pay buyouts and for search firms every 4 years after 4 years of an empty Pete. An elite coach pays for itself.

Was telling a friend about this last night. I don’t know about the Vball program, I can’t imagine it was as dire as mens and womens soccer. But it goes to show you that you can win at Pitt. I don’t care what program it is. The mens and womens soccer teams were worse than the Stallings basketball team. They had decades of nothing. Not even a home field. So if they can rise from the dead, anyone can. All it takes is an elite coach. When the university decides to move on from Capel, they should open the checkbook and get themselves an elite coach. Sell him by showing him the soccer programs and explaining that basketball would be much easier to rebuild and succeed than soccer. It’s either invest in a slam dunk coach now, or continue to pay buyouts and for search firms every 4 years after 4 years of an empty Pete. An elite coach pays for itself.
I don’t know if people realize just how bad soccer was. It was dumpster bad, like not even close to anything that resembled quality soccer. What we are seeing with soccer is about finding the absolute best coaches who can turn a program around. Maybe basketball can pull it off, but football can never move into the next level of top tier teams.

100%

ALL it takes is a coach. You really dont need anything else. Facilities are cool, locker rooms are cool, a nutrition staff is cool but none of that is necessary to win. A good coach can win in any situation. An elite coach would have Pitt basketball in the Sweet 16 in Year 1 with transfers

I don’t know if people realize just how bad soccer was. It was dumpster bad, like not even close to anything that resembled quality soccer. What we are seeing with soccer is about finding the absolute best coaches who can turn a program around. Maybe basketball can pull it off, but football can never move into the next level of top tier teams.

Two things. If Pitt didn't invest in their facilities, these coaches aren't here. And everyone is looking for that elite coach. If the men didn't get vidovich, wladrum isn't here either.

Coaching does matter, I 100% agree. But it's more complicated than just opening up the checkbook (especially when the majority of others checkbooks are bigger) and telling an elite coach to come here.

Two things. If Pitt didn't invest in their facilities, these coaches aren't here. And everyone is looking for that elite coach. If the men didn't get vidovich, wladrum isn't here either.

Coaching does matter, I 100% agree. But it's more complicated than just opening up the checkbook (especially when the majority of others checkbooks are bigger) and telling an elite coach to come here.
But Rain Man says...

It’s hiring great coaches, and giving those great coaches the resources to be successful. It’s the same in football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, doesn’t matter.

It’s hiring great coaches, and giving those great coaches the resources to be successful. It’s the same in football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, doesn’t matter.

The difference is that not all schools really care about being really good at volleyball or soccer whereas they all do care about being good at basketball and football.

Of course, obviously they want to to be good and respectable but at the end of the day it’s much, much easier to get really good fast at an olympic sport if you want to by just throwing a lot of resources at it compared to other schools.

The amount of $/resources it takes to become great at a sport like soccer is just so much less than a sport like basketball or football.

We just don’t have the kind of money/boosters to do it that way for those 2 sports. The equivalent would be like firing Capel after the season and going out and paying like Coach Cal like $12M a year or something…

It’s obviously a lot easier on the budget to pay Dan Fisher say an extra $100-200k.

The difference is that not all schools really care about being really good at volleyball or soccer whereas they all do care about being good at basketball and football.

Of course, obviously they want to to be good and respectable but at the end of the day it’s much, much easier to get really good fast at an olympic sport if you want to by just throwing a lot of resources at it compared to other schools.

The amount of $/resources it takes to become great at a sport like soccer is just so much less than a sport like basketball or football.

We just don’t have the kind of money/boosters to do it that way for those 2 sports. The equivalent would be like firing Capel after the season and going out and paying like Coach Cal like $12M a year or something…

It’s obviously a lot easier on the budget to pay Dan Fisher say an extra $100-200k.
Totally agreed. It’s why spending more on those sports is a good investment. You get a lot more success for your dollar.

I think the same is true for basketball, to an extent. Spending $2M more a year on basketball pushes the budget from the bottom end of the top 25 budgets in college basketball to close to the top 10. Spending $2M more a year on football is barely a drop in the bucket.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Proof of concept season for Waldrum. Making a tournament run - even if it isn’t to the College Cup - is something that we can sell in the transfer market this offseason and to the high school underclassmen on the recruiting trail…who have now seen at least a semi-competent Pitt womens soccer program since they were in middle school.

Penn State lost today, too - if we can start to assert ourselves as a viable alternative to the program that Penn State has built, we’ll be in for a number of very fun seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT