ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s soccer vs Arkansas

Not a lot of defense by either team, but a well-deserved win. Pitt controlled the tempo and had many more attacking opportunities.

The first two Pitt goals were wide open shots from within 6 meters of goal. Just horrible defending. I think Arkansas scored on 3 of its first 4 shots on goal.

Coffield channeled her inner Messi on that free kick to tie it up. And then a perfect header from a perfect corner from Shupansky.

So, Pitt now plays what essentially will be another road game against Memphis. Memphis is right across the border from Arkansas, although probably a 2-hour ride from Fayetteville. An interesting roster: 3 Japanese and 2 Germans. If they had an Italian, they would have the entire WW II Axis on the team. Also 11 Canadians, who make up the bulk of the team. Not one player from Tennessee on the roster. Pitt has a bunch of former WPIAL players on the roster. Of course, our leading all-time scorer is a Canadian, but 3 of the 4 goals tonight were PA players.

One more upset (Memphis is a higher seed) and we likely play FSU again. Memphis is 20-1 this season and has won 17 in a row. I thought for the most part they controlled the game against ND, although in the early going ND had some good chances and the Memphis goalie made some good saves.

Last edited:
Reactions: gklimis and Chaos
Not a lot of defense by either team, but a well-deserved win. Pitt controlled the tempo and had many more attacking opportunities.

The first two Pitt goals were wide open shots from within 6 meters of goal. Just horrible defending. I think Arkansas scored on 3 of its first 4 shots on goal.

Coffield channeled her inner Messi on that free kick to tie it up. And then a perfect header from a perfect corner from Shupansky.

So, Pitt now plays what essentially will be another road game against Memphis. Memphis is right across the border from Arkansas, although probably a 2-hour ride from Fayetteville. An interesting roster: 3 Japanese and 2 Germans. If they had an Italian, they would have the entire WW II Axis on the team. Also 11 Canadians, who make up the bulk of the team. Not one player from Tennessee on the roster. Pitt has a bunch of former WPIAL players on the roster. Of course, our leading all-time scorer is a Canadian, but 3 of the 4 goals tonight were PA players.

One more upset (Memphis is a higher seed) and we likely play FSU again. Memphis is 20-1 this season and has won 17 in a row. I thought for the most part they controlled the game against ND, although in the early going ND had some good chances and the Memphis goalie made some good saves.
Great insight. Thanks.

Reactions: Chaos
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT