ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s volleyball with opportunity?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Pitt plays FSU tonight and hopefully can keep the momentum going this weekend. If they do, could they jump to number 1?? #3 Baylor beat #1 Texas two nights ago. Texas most likely drops to #3. Who ascends to #1 assuming Pitt and Baylor do not stumble this weekend?

Reactions: paschuler1970
Unfortunately, the ACC is viewed as a weaker conference. Texas, Baylor, B1G or PAC 12 team will be number 1 imo.

That’s a great question. Pitt has hovered around 5 since the committee started putting out the prospective seedlings.

Pitt will have to beat FSU 3-0 tonight. Then dominate Louisville 3-0 or 3-1 to strengthen its resume for a top 4 seed imo.

If they don’t think Pitt is better than these few other top teams why are we even #2? It just seems stupid that they just keep moving teams back and forth ahead and below us. When #1 loses they just pick a team between 3-5 to move ahead of us. Move us down to 5 or 6 if that’s where they feel we belong or make us #1.

If they don’t think Pitt is better than these few other top teams why are we even #2? It just seems stupid that they just keep moving teams back and forth ahead and below us. When #1 loses they just pick a team between 3-5 to move ahead of us. Move us down to 5 or 6 if that’s where they feel we belong or make us #1.

The ACC seems to be the volleyball version of A10 men's basketball. Not a top league but better than a mid-major league. So that's why Pitt gets no respect

If they do, could they jump to number 1?? #3 Baylor beat #1 Texas two nights ago. Texas most likely drops to #3. Who ascends to #1 assuming Pitt and Baylor do not stumble this weekend?

Don't be surprised if Texas and Baylor are one - two in some order. That's what happens when you keep playing mediocre teams like we do. It's not our fault, but it is the truth.

9 service errors so far for Pitt and some very questionable decisions by the setter on who to set for. Pitt up by 1 in 3d set.

Pitt won set 3. Ndaye has been the hot hitter. Has I think 17 kills through 3 sets. She went out for a rest in set 3. When she came in Lexi inexplicably stopped setting her up. When Lexi went to the back row and wasn’t doing the setting they set her up and she got 3 straight kills to win the set.

The ACC seems to be the volleyball version of A10 men's basketball. Not a top league but better than a mid-major league. So that's why Pitt gets no respect

I get that but I also look at the Big 12 and there’s no one ranked besides Baylor and Texas, so it seems their conference is maybe marginally better than the ACC. The B1G at least it’s clear that’s like the SEC football or ACC basketball. So I’d understand giving them the benefit of doubt.

Baylor, Texas.... Wisconsin/Stanford/Pitt. We really need PSU to beat Wisconsin. Otherwise we are probably #5.

Now that Kathryn Plummer is back and Stanford is hammering everyone that they play they are a near lock for a number one seed. Baylor, Texas, Stanford, and then a scramble for the fourth number one. Wisconsin's SOS is so much better than ours that if they win out it's probably going to be them.

Also if Nebraska beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin tomorrow and then wins their last two they could get the fourth one seed ahead of us.

Complete novice in women's VB tourney so I have a question: is a #3 seed that different than a #5 or 6?

I see a lot of discussion on our seed but my reference is men's BB and, to me anyway, the difference between a #1 and a #2 seed is non-existent.

Obviously I'm missing something thoughts?

Complete novice in women's VB tourney so I have a question: is a #3 seed that different than a #5 or 6?

I see a lot of discussion on our seed but my reference is men's BB and, to me anyway, the difference between a #1 and a #2 seed is non-existent.

Yes, you obviously are missing something. In men's basketball there are no home games in the NCAA tournament. In women's volleyball the highest seeded team in the "pod" hosts the games until you get to the Final Four. So if Pitt were to get the number four overall seed then as long as Pitt wins Pitt would play at home. If Pitt were to get the number five overall seed then Pitt would play the first weekend at home and if the team that got the number four overall seed wins their first two matches then Pitt would have to go on the road for games three and four.

If Pitt gets a top four overall seed they could win the NCAA championship without leaving the city of Pittsburgh.

Yes, you obviously are missing something. In men's basketball there are no home games in the NCAA tournament. In women's volleyball the highest seeded team in the "pod" hosts the games until you get to the Final Four. So if Pitt were to get the number four overall seed then as long as Pitt wins Pitt would play at home. If Pitt were to get the number five overall seed then Pitt would play the first weekend at home and if the team that got the number four overall seed wins their first two matches then Pitt would have to go on the road for games three and four.

If Pitt gets a top four overall seed they could win the NCAA championship without leaving the city of Pittsburgh.
Appreciate the explanation! I love we are getting good at other sports but obviously I never followed them before because, well, we've never been good at much

Now that Kathryn Plummer is back and Stanford is hammering everyone that they play they are a near lock for a number one seed. Baylor, Texas, Stanford, and then a scramble for the fourth number one. Wisconsin's SOS is so much better than ours that if they win out it's probably going to be them.

I agree. Stanford losing at Utah was pretty much the last hope we had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT