ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer Commitment

Good find.

On a more immediate note - it'll be fascinating to follow Malea Fabean's impact this season as an early enrollee for Class of 2014.

2x State Champion. 152 goals AND a Pennsylvania state record 117 assists in her scholastic career.

That's some serious damage from one girl.

Fabean.....

wasn't even the best player on her own team. When you have two really good players (and make no mistake, Fabean is a good player) on a team that plays in an awful class A section they can roll up goals and assists like crazy.

Re: Fabean.....

No one made that claim.

A state record is a state record. Additionally, there had to at least be some competition for them to earn 2 titles in 4 years. Let's not make it seem like they were the Clairton Football Bears - they weren't some juggernaut, their record bears that out. Someone in lowly class A had to be giving them those losses.

My point was since she IS a good (and really productive) player, it was worth watching since she enrolled early & the team needs as many good players as they can get.

Well.....

GCC played one good* AAA team last year, against Pine-Richland (they also had a game scheduled against Penn Trafford that was canceled). They lost, 5-0. Their only other loss last year was to a Shadyside team that they easily beat (7-3, 8-2, 2-0) the other three times they played them.

Actually the situation with them and the Clairton football teams are really similar. The difference is that it is easier for a lesser team to make a game of a soccer game rather than a football game. As anyone who watches both sports should know. However if you take out the game against Pine-Richland, GCC ended the regular season 14-0 and outscored their opponents 124-10. That's almost nine goals scored per game and less than one allowed. Other than the Shadyside loss in the WPIAL final they were 7-0 in the WPIAL and State playoffs and outscored their opponents 46-8. That's the kind of domination that we saw from the Clariton football team and just saw from the Lincoln Park basketball team. It's no coincidence that all three of those are class A schools.

Fabean and Crouse are both very good soccer players. Both will be (in my opinion) successful in college. But to ignore the fact that they piled up their outstanding statistics in high school in large part due to the woeful level of competition they faced simply ignores reality.

* - I edited this because I originally forgot that GCC also played and beat North Hills last year, a AAA team that won one game all season.

This post was edited on 3/25 1:05 PM by Joe the Panther Fan

Re: Well.....

The only was they're even somewhat comparable is by focusing on their final year - which is all you did. And even then it's a VAST leap. Maneuver away, though.

She set a state record and the intrigue of how her productivity might translate to this level is what I was originally teasing. Nothing you wrote - while attempting to minimize her accomplishments, mind you - lessens the intrigue. Anyone familiar with her knows she's going to be good. I was teasing a talking point that WASN'T already obvious.

Ignoring reality, hmmm. Riffing on a PSU commit (again) when the thread was Pitt commit focused? Check. Raging on NO one while wisely claiming Fabean was not the best player on her team. We're one irrelevant comment away from having to make a diagnosis.

I gotta be honest. Arguing over the legitimacy of an athlete due to her HS soccer stats and accomplishments is one of the most irrelevant things I have ever seen on these boards. It's like trying to predict Steven Adams career at Pitt based on what he did in New Zealand HS basketball. The numbers mean nothing because HS soccer means nothing. Fabean was a very accomplished player at the highest levels of youth soccer--which is about 10 levels above WPIAL and PIAA soccer. To go along with her skills and abilities, she has the size for the college game and to your initial point, arriving early on campus will certainly help her for the Fall.

But whether she scored 10 goals or 300 goals at GCC means absolutely nothing.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Exactly.....

as I said, Fabean is a good player and I expect her to be successful in college. But the fact that she rolled up great stats against low level competition isn't why someone should think that. It's because she's been a successful player at much higher levels than WPIAL class A soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT