ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Volleyball and a number 1 seed

phijo

Freshman
Apr 24, 2005
- I have been trying to imagine how Pitt might get a number one seed in the ncaa tournament. My sense is that it would be very close. Of course, first, they would have to beat Louisville and otherwise win the rest of their games in the ACC to have a chance
-Using the D1 Committee's top 10 as a starting point. I think Wisconsin, Nebraska and Stanford are shoe in's for number one seeds. Stanfords schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way in the Pac 12. They have 5 games left and unless they stumble against an unranked team, will likely win out.
-As of 2 weeks ago Louisville was 4, Wash St was 5, Oregon 6, Texas 7 and Pitt 8 in the committee's rankings. Washington St has lost several games since and so I don't think they have a shot anymore. Oregon lost to Stanford and still have ASU to play. Texas just was swept by K State at K State, and Pitt just swept Ga Tech away (though we lost to Fla St) and still has Louisville to play. Louisville still has Pitt and Ga Tech to play.
-So, if Pitt wins out, it will be close between Pitt, Texas and Oregon.
- I would love to see home matches for Pitt through the regional final. Weirdly, I actually think Pitt sometimes plays better away.
-However it plays out, it should be fun to watch

Last edited:
- I have been trying to imagine how Pitt might get a number one seed in the ncaa tournament. My sense is that it would be very close. Of course, first, they would have to beat Louisville and otherwise win the rest of their games in the ACC to have a chance
-Using the D1 Committee's top 10 as a starting point. I think Wisconsin, Nebraska and Stanford are shoe in's for number one seeds. Stanfords schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way in the Pac 12. They have 5 games left and unless they stumble against an unranked team, will likely win out.
-As of 2 weeks ago Louisville was 4, Wash St was 5, Oregon 6, Texas 7 and Pitt 8 in the committee's rankings. Washington St has lost several games since and so I don't think they have a shot anymore. Oregon lost to Stanford and still have ASU to play. Texas just was swept by K State at K State, and Pitt just swept Ga Tech away (though we lost to Fla St) and still has Louisville to play. Louisville still has Pitt and Ga Tech to play.
-So, if Pitt wins out, it will be close between Pitt, Texas and Oregon.
- I would love to see home matches for Pitt through the regional final. Weirdly, I actually think Pitt sometimes plays better away.
-However it plays out, it should be fun to watch
Agree with all of the above, but I would argue even if Louisville loses to Pitt but beats tech, they still have a case for the 1 seed as well as they’d be at 4 losses, split with Pitt, and have the best OOC win (Wash St). Would be close. All 4 of those teams have a case. I actually think Texas has the worst case of those 4 teams (worst conference, no big road wins, bad OOC loss to Long Beach) but i worry they get the nod because of reputation. We’ll see

Reactions: phijo
Agree with all of the above, but I would argue even if Louisville loses to Pitt but beats tech, they still have a case for the 1 seed as well as they’d be at 4 losses, split with Pitt, and have the best OOC win (Wash St). Would be close. All 4 of those teams have a case. I actually think Texas has the worst case of those 4 teams (worst conference, no big road wins, bad OOC loss to Long Beach) but i worry they get the nod because of reputation. We’ll see
Completely agree....it's only a certain top 4 seed for Pitt if Louisville loses to Pitt and GT....and Pitt also beats Miami and Syracuse to close the season.

I agree that Texas is going to have to sweat it out.
This has been an interesting week with upsets and we should expect some shakeup when the new rankings and RPI come out on Monday. The Texas loss to Kansas State should be by far the worst outcome for any of the top 6 teams jockeying for a top 4 seed. But rather than rankings....let's just focus on the RPI since the selection committee will use it as their primary metric for seeding. I expect Nebraska, Stanford, Wisconsin (even though they lost to Penn State), and Louisville to be in the lead for the top 4 seeds tomorrow. Pitt's RPI stood at #6 prior to the Georgia Tech win. Texas was #3 in RPI (and clearly in a good spot for a #1 seed) but lost to #62 Kansas State. Logic would seem to dictate that Pitt should leapfrog Texas but who knows. Oregon lost to Stanford and is probably out of the running for a top 4 seed.

By the way....Florida State beat Miami today. Miami was their toughest opponent the rest of the way. It's looking like they will end up in a tie with either Louisville or Pitt as the ACC champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT