ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Volleyball, Things I Think I Think, 10/29/23

phijo

Freshman
Apr 24, 2005
1. Ever since Pitt lost to Louisville, the Lady Panthers have been in sweep mode. I don't think they lost a set. During that run, they swept NC State easily, and Wake Forest. The other teams were not surprising. I don't know that we can really draw any conclusions about this run. Going forward, the schedule gets more formidable with Florida State and Miami away. They also still have to play Louisville at home and Ga Tech away, so some real tests ahead. I would like to think they can get through that stretch 3 and 1.

2. Against Va Tech their hitting was above 0.600 which is a Dan Fisher record. Against Wake, they were above 0.400. With our block and defense, hard to beat Pitt with that kind of hitting.

3. I, for one, am happy that VVG is coming back. She is a solid outside hitter and provides Pitt with depth. I am not sure where the discussion about Bayless transferring is coming from. If some one has some inside information, I would love to hear it. I am not worried that VVG coming back affects her. If Bayless is the better player, she will play. I have seen Fisher use her on the right side and as an outside hitter. I think is is a great idea to have her as a versatile player, makes her more valuable.

4. It does appear Fairbanks is getting healthier. She is being used as a primary setter in a 5-1 and in a 6-2 sometimes. In that set up, she has been used as a right side hitter. She defends well and has a nice serve. She is a complete volleyball player.

5. With Stanford and Wash State going down, does that mean Louisville and Pitt get to move up in the coaches poll? With Pitt at #8 in the latest D1 seeding, that means they would be a 2 seed again. I suspect they will be a 2 seed when they have selection Sunday.

6 Babcock today with 14 kills on 0.462 hitting. She will probably get another freshmen of the week award but she deserves offensive player of the week.

You may be right about the absence of a basis for the Bayless transferring comments.
However, I did find it surprising that Fisher could not get her any playing time, given that Pitt dominated pretty much from the start. Causality or coincidence?

Reactions: Chaos
On the way into the match yesterday, I was discussing how Jepsen is now also injured. If there were some collision during play and one of our middles couldn't finish the match, who would come in as the emergency MB?

My guess would be Babcock or Dalton? Then move Bayless to starting RS? Let's hope we don't find out.

On the way into the match yesterday, I was discussing how Jepsen is now also injured. If there were some collision during play and one of our middles couldn't finish the match, who would come in as the emergency MB?

My guess would be Babcock or Dalton? Then move Bayless to starting RS? Let's hope we don't find out.
I think she had a boot on during the nc state game.Some sort of ankle injury maybe?

Good Lord....catching up on this board for volleyball is becoming depressing.....Bayless is leaving....what happens if Monks or Nwokolo go down with an injury....c'mon guys perk up ;) ;)
Have to say - fear of a player leaving to the portal is a new height for fan interest in the program - kind of a signal we hit the big time

Lol

Reactions: Chaos

Great question. In the intrateam warmups before the Virginia Tech match, Flood was actually playing in the middle opposite Monks, believe it or not.

That being said, imagine them converting Dalton into a slide heavy middle like they used Van Buskirk!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT