ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING - 2/15/14 - Pitt vs Michigan- MATCH THREAD ....

goalieman

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2002
gotta get back on the winning track tonight against a very good Michigan team !

149 - Grajales (Mich) dec Raccioti (Pitt) 8-5 ..... Mich up 12-0*

nm

165 - Morelli (Pitt) dec Yates (Mich) 3-1 ..... Mich 15-3 ......

upset for Morelli as Yates was apparently ranked #6 !

184 - Thomusseit (Pitt) dec Abounader (Mich) 2-0 .... Mich up 15-10*

nm

Michigan 18 Pitt 13, Final ......

Pitt lost too many matches in the lower weights .... they needed to win one of those.

I watched it on ESPN3. I thought Zanetta was getting better, but today he reverted to not being aggressive against an unranked wrestler. It never should have gone to OT.

Both Bright and Mikey seem to have run out of gas late in the season. You can argue that it is because they are only freshmen, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for PSU's freshmen.

Who would have thought Morelli would win both of his matches this weekend and we would lose both?
174-197 were solid in both matches. Tyler with two dominant wins. Bono with two relatively easy wins.

As soon as PJ got the takedown and back points, my first thought was let Coon up and wrestle him
on your feet where you can use your speed. He didn't and the quick reversal and back points was a killer. I didn't have any problem with the stalling call if the refs were consistent in calling them but they aren't. If not for that it goes to OT. The only takedown Coon got was with 11 seconds left when PJ had to take a shot because of the stalling call and Coon just fell on him. Great effort against the #2 ranked Hwt in the country but a more cerebral approach would have helped.

As to inconsistency, I thought they could have called a ton of stalling in the 133 match last night. After getting the 1-0 lead in the third, the Edinboro wrestler back pedaled for the rest of the match. But Mack wasn't aggressive. He makes too many halfhearted attempts to shoot and almost no real attempts.

Pitt looked kind of flat today. Can't really blame them either, with back to back tough dials this late in the season.
re: Mack and Shopp- that is more or less a typical match. Shelton can't get out on bottom, Shopp drops to a knee and stalls but never gets called. Shopp wins 1 or 2 to nothing. Have seen this scenario play out probably four times or so.

Money and Edgar both ran into two tough, experienced wrestlers. I'm still optimistic Bout them making noise come tourney time.

157 we need Fargo back. Ive heard he will be back next week and baring a result aggravation of the injury will most likely be in for the conference tournament.
165- Yates is an extremely tough, experienced wrestler albeit a hot/cold one. Did not think Geno would win this one at all.probably the best win of his career so far.

285 - I think Coons reversal was a bit too quick for on to play catch and release. He just rolled through from his back and your not going to let a guy off his back to run away. That being said I think Pjs only chance to win that match was to get the pin there. Coon is just to big and moves too well. But the stall calls were bs. Pushing isn't offense and that is all Coincidentally did - dig an undertook and push. I think PJ took three shots and a throw, while Coon took one shot. Someone was trying to score and someone was dump wrestling.

Pete was all over the official during and after the match regarding g this, and McFarland seemed to take exception to Pete not liking the call and the two briefly exchanged some not so nice words well after the two teams cleared the mat.

Pitt needed to win at least one of those 1st 3 matches to win the meet ..... #19 Zanetta was wrestling an unranked Michigan kid and lost ..... Zanetta did look flat and maybe a little worn out ....... #20 Mack wrestled a #19 ranked Michigan wrestler and again Mack looked sluggish...... Bright was outclassed by #8 Dutton at 141.

Morelli pulled a nice upset at 165 against a Mich kid ranked #6.

Tasser was just giving up too much size to Coon who is big and good.

If Zanetta wins his match against an unranked opponent, we win the meet .... Zanetta looked flat and a little worn out.

Coon was just pushing Tasser straight back and out of bounds and really wasn't shooting at all so the stalling call to me was questionable ...... however, if Tasser circles on the mat rather then going straight backwards, the call probably isn't made.

Somerset, you are right ...

The article on the Pitt website summarizing the match did not list Youtsey as ranked but I looked on InterMat and he is actually rated #15 there .... so it was essentially a toss up match that we lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT