9:00 am Weigh-Ins

10:00 am Doors Open

11:00 am First Round

1:00 pm Semifinals

3:30 pm Consolation Semifinals

5:00 pm Consolation Finals

7:00 pm Finals

Originally posted by GhostOfPITT40:
Are there only 6 schools with wrestling in the ACC?
That's because it is entertaining as watching people mow grass. I admire the work and discipline wrestler's put in and go through, no doubt. But it isn't an attractive sport and it is as regionalized if not more, than hockey is. They don't wrestle in the south, they WRASSLE!

Originally posted by recruitsreadtheseboards:
Originally posted by GhostOfPITT40:
Are there only 6 wrestling in the ACC?
That's because it is entertaining as watching people mow grass. I admire the work and discipline wrestler's put in and go through, no doubt. But it isn't an attractive spod it is as reionalized if not more, than hockey is. They don't wrestle in the south, they WRASSLE!
I completely disagree. If you have knowledge of wrestling, it can be the most exciting thing to watch, especially when you get crazy scrambles like our 149 pounder Racciato specializes in. The big guys at 197 and 285 can be kind of dull if they just push on each other and no one takes a shot, but that's about it.

Yes, thanks to Maryland. If is any consolation, half of the ACC is currently ranked in the top 13.

And this is why Pitt is also wrestling nearly a full EWL schedule (circa 2012).

I have heard rumors that wrestling is one of the sports Louisville is contemplating to add. I think it is well behind lax though for them.

The ACC needs one more school to sponsor gymnastics. Maryland screwed that up too.

From an ignorant point of view, I guess. If you know what's going on, it's not boring.

More exciting than watching a 2 hr soccer game that ends up 0-0. For the life of me, I can't see what the world loves about that stupid game.

PA is a traditional national power in HS wrestling.
This year PA has 3 teams in the nations top 10 ( Bethlehem Cath., Franklin Reg., & Wyoming Sent.). In the early and mid 2000's PA would put up to 5 teams in the national top 10. Most of the PA teams came out of the Lehigh Valley ( Northampton, Easton, Parkland, Nazareth, Bethlehem Cath,.Liberty, & Freedom HS's). Now the strength seems to come from Cental PA.

I wrestled in HS and college, both sons were HS wrestler's and one was on a PA team state championship team, which ended up top 5 in the nation in the mid 2000's.

In college the Big10, and Big 12 draw a lot of wrestlers from PA, have great teams which feed the Olympic program. Nit Wit U ( PSU) improved their program when they started keeping some of the PA talent in state.

Even though wrestling is one of the oldest Olympic sports it was dropped for the 2020 Toyko line-up and the IOC had to conduct a vote to have it reinstated as an Olympic sport.

The sad part of being a national championship wrestler is there's no where to go except coaching and or the Olympics when you finish your college career. Not much money in the sport except now some go to the UCF tour.

Wrestlers are some of the hardest working, well conditioned athletes on the planet. Most start at 5 yrs old in youth programs and wrestle all year long to stay in shape and be competitive. Our kids played football and wrestled which is unusual since most wrestlers are dedicated one sport people.

In South Central PA girls also wrestle on the boys team in hopes of honing their skills and getting college schlorships on U women's wrestling teams. I believe the Big 10 has women's wrestling.

In my opinion the worst job on the planet is a wrestling official with the mats being close to the "rabid " wrestling crowd and wrestling parents. Wrestling officials take a lot of abuse!

The sport is great to watch is you understand it or its like watching paint dry if you don't.

In the Lehigh Valley, South, and Central PA the wrestling crowds are as big or larger than the football crowds especially during tournament season!

My 2 cents on wrestling! Its a great sport!

Signed: The Goat

Go Pitt!

This post was edited on 2/11 8:23 AM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/11 6:17 PM by goat123

This post was edited on 2/11 6:46 PM by goat123

Again, really respect the work, effort and discipline of wrestlers. They are amongst the most dedicated athletes per capita of their sport.

But it is horribly boring. And to criticize soccer (which I am also not an overwhelming fan of) and defending wrestling by saying "it is exciting if you knew the sport" is pure bunk. It is not exciting. Ooooh, look at the arm bar, see how he has gotten leverage....ummm no. I mean, I would rather watch gymnastics to be told.

But....the great part of this country, to each its own. A lot of you don't like hockey, and a lot of you don't understand the sport. I think we all can agree if you played a certain sport, you understand some of the nuances that a casual observer doesn't understand.

But again, Wrestling is not an entertaining sport unless it is Jimmy Snukka going off the top rope trying to flatten Mr. Wonderful and pin him (showing my age with reference to long since retired wrestlers).

I am a lifelong basketball player but will now watch a random college wrestling match on B1G over a random MBB game on ESPN.

PA had 25% of the participants in the NCAAs last year. That is really amazing and not an anomaly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT