ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling question

Dallas Burgher

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
During the late sixties through the the seventies wrestling was one of the fastest growing sports in the nation. For some reason that suddenly stopped. Does anyone know what caused the halt? It seems that it has never recovered that momentum of growth. I wonder if Title Nine had something to do with it.

I don't know what happened then, but I do know now that it takes serious dedication these days. It's basically a year round sport now and if your not training, you falling behind.

It takes a family and financial commitment, to produce a very good wrestler. The best youth wrestlers are competing every weekend through the folk style season and at least monthly, through the offseason.

One thing that also plays a part is todays "soft" society. It seems now a days, there's always someone to blame for failure...on the wrestling mat, you're the only one out there.

Reactions: steelton
Yes, title IX, yes, softer kids. NHL expansion made hockey grow in the US. Population decline and shrinking enrollments in some wrestling hotbeds. And dominance of the elite has pushed many seasonal wrestlers out of the sport up through high school. I don't believe it's singlets or folkstyle rules, as Some people seem to believe, if you read Intermat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT