ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Recruits

So he has won at least one state championship in his HS career, and hads made a name for himself by beating other good wrestlers in the summer tournaments?

To expect a current Senior to already have a title in his back pocket and defend it, simply because he's ranked highly, is wishful thinking. Pennsylvania doesn't work that neatly.

Our best guy never won one... let's not be reductive.

To expect a current Senior to already have a title in his back pocket and defend it, simply because he's ranked highly, is wishful thinking. Pennsylvania doesn't work that neatly.

I guess I misread your message re: the difficulty in in winning multiple championships. I took that to mean he'd won one already prior to lasts seasons loss.

So he has won at least one state championship in his HS career, and hads made a name for himself by beating other good wrestlers in the summer tournaments?

He's never won a state championship. He finished 6th in 2015 as a soph (in a loaded weight class). He finished 2nd last year. He's finished pretty high in some summer tournaments. He won the 2015 FloNationals. He's has 2 top 3 finishes in the Super 32. Finished 2nd last year to Austin Bell at Powerade.

Our best guy didn't even make it to the state tournament as a Senior. That weight was loaded his senior season. WPIAL finished 1, 3, 4 at the state tournament

Reactions: Needanap
Happens all the time. Kids mature at different levels. Wade Schalles won only one state championship answer then two or three natural titles and an most outstanding wrestler award.
Understood, but this ranking occurs before The wrestler "matures" (let's hope) as Schalles did. I have no doubt he is good, and I know he's a legacy and I certainly want him to do well. I was just surprised that in the entire nation there is not someone who's a multiple state champ somewhere in his weight class that did well in the summer tournament season that would be third. Here's to hoping he lives up to his ranking, and Peters does a better job of grooming him for success than he has for the other Panthers that came to him ranked high. BTW, back in the mid 70's attended a camp with Schalles, Don Rohn and Simpson from Clarion. Not sure if Bob Bubb was there, but all the kids were google eyes for those three nat champs at the time.
Schalles taught some of the most unorthodox moves I'd ever seen. The great wrestlers think outside the box, and man he was way outside. Like other great athletes in their sports, he saw three - four moves ahead, and he was pinner.

Happens all the time. Kids mature at different levels. Wade Schalles won only one state championship answer then two or three natural titles and an most outstanding wrestler award.

Best wrestler I ever saw. A pinning machine. Yet, in HS he lost twice to John Chatman.

Best wrestler I ever saw. A pinning machine. Yet, in HS he lost twice to John Chatman.
I did not realize that Schalles had lost to Chapman in HS. I saw Schalles pin Chapman in the state finals. That was Chapman's only loss in HS(I think-long time ago).

Chatman beat him twice in open tournaments when they were in HS. But he lost to him in the PIAAs.

I knew Chatman pretty well. He told me that he was overconfident when they met in the state finals because of those two wins, and got pinned because of that. I don't think they wrestled the same weight in college.

Chatman beat him twice in open tournaments when they were in HS. But he lost to him in the PIAAs.

I knew Chatman pretty well. He told me that he was overconfident when they met in the state finals because of those two wins, and got pinned because of that. I don't think they wrestled the same weight in college.
I watched Schalles beat Chapman at the Field House. Chapman died in the third period. Schalles beat him badly later.

I watched Schalles beat Chapman at the Field House. Chapman died in the third period. Schalles beat him badly later.
I want to say Pitt had Chapman and Kevin Love at back to back weights for one year in early 1970's. My Dad was principal at Carnegie HS '66 to '70. Kevin Love was unbeatable at 145. They had another good kid at 138 named Artie Johnson. Saw him get DQ'd one time because he bit a kid as he was basically beating the crap out of him. Carnegie loved their wrestling in those days. Frank Holtz of Studio Wrestling fame used to be security at those matches.

N.Bonaccorsi 174
T.O'Brien 165/174
C.Cronin 141/149
D.Bulsak 141
K.J. Fenstermacher 133
J.Cherry 125
J.Dunlap 125

I do not know which might be walk ons

Wiercioch no longer with the team?

Pitt lost its last match 39-0. Better hope some of these recruits are good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT