ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling- Virginia Tech 38 Pitt 9 ......

goalieman

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2002
-Pitt forfeited the 125 and 133 matches.

- Only wrestlers for Pitt to win were Lee and Campbell.

Why did Pitt forfeit the first two matches?

There was no explanation ..... don't know if there were injuries or something to do with the incident that got the coach fired recently or something else.

There was no explanation ..... don't know if there were injuries or something to do with the incident that got the coach fired recently or something else.
Thanks, I always enjoy and appreciate your posts!

We have one backup at 125, none at 133 because Seipel is injured. Almost all of the backups wrestle between 165 and 197, so if any of the starters are suspended there we have a lot of depth. Just no quality. Speaks well to the quality of Peters' recruiting.

Starting to look like the basketball team. No effort. Forgot which weight, but the kid was getting tech'd and was put on his back and pinned with little time left in match. Did not even attempt to fight off his back.

Starting to look like the basketball team. No effort. Forgot which weight, but the kid was getting tech'd and was put on his back and pinned with little time left in match. Did not even attempt to fight off his back.

I saw that and had the same reaction ..... sad :(

Ironically, this mess that happened on the wrestling team might force the athletic department to do what should've been done after Rande retired: hire a nationally known coach and re-build the program from the ground up.

Sure, they made a few waves in the ACC, but nationally, they've been no better than meh.

Last edited:

Dietrich at 174. It was a true freshman against the #2 kid in the country, so I'm cutting him a large amount of slack on that.

He actually scrapped pretty hard until his tank hit E late in the second period. That wasn't a lack of effort - he just got overwhelmed.

Reactions: bwh05
So basically, from 125 through 149 we have Lee until the suspensions are over. We are going to start every match forfeiting at 125 and 133 and likely losing 4 to 6 points at 149 for a major decision (4), technical fall (5) or pin (6). And, we wrestled a third string backup at 157 against VT.

We might squeak by VMI, but we are going to be out of every other match before Campbell wrestles at 165.

Well, they defeated VMI pretty easily. Bentley wrestled, so his suspension was only for one match. We forfeited at 133, so Forys, Zanetta and Ross probably are still suspended. Mikey didn't wrestle, so I assume he likely still is suspended also. Frankly, I wouldnt care if he is kicked off the team.

I think we'll spend some $$ this time around.

By "some $$" do you mean enough to hire a big name coach or top assistant and improve the facilities or just enough to maintain the status quo of being a mediocre program sitting on a gold mine of local talent?

At the NCAAs after Peters' first year, I talked to someone who follows Iowa who was surprised they hired Peters because he said a lot of coaches would have been interested in the job, including, he thought, Terry Brands, the brother of the Iowa coach. But, he added, with Peters first year recruiting class and the number of NCAA qualifiers, he told me on Day 1 that maybe Peters would work out. Near the end of Day 2, he spotted me and said, basically, same old Pitt: guys running out of gas in their second matches of the day, terrible performances in wrestle-backs and guys not progressing from year to year. That was an issue for at least the final ten years under Stottlemyre.

Basically, someone has to come in and change the environment completely.

Reactions: jctrack
I think there's a good chance we try to hire someone like Vidovich in soccer. I'm not saying it'll be at that level, but we'll pay a competitive salary. Not PSU or OSU but at least the level necessary to be a good program.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT