ADVERTISEMENT

WSOC Beats Bucknell to Start 2-0

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
In a match bearing no resemblance to the opener, they beat Bucknell on the road 1-0 in double overtime.

The match was shown on the Patriot League Network. Yes, the Patriot League has a network too.

Pitt totally dominated the 106 approximate minutes the match lasted. In regulation time, they outshot Bucknell 24-9. They hit a post and the crossbar; the Bucknell GK made a couple of saves that were outstanding. Pitt finally scored shortly after the start of the 2nd OT.

Based on these two games, it’s hard to tell what to expect from this team. Waldrum used a different lineup, starting 5 freshmen today and replacing 2 sophomores with 2 other sophomores. They appeared much more cohesive defensively and the MF controlled the action, but it was against Bucknell.

Someone mentioned Syracuse as a possible conference win. They have 8 field players hurt and potentially out for the season. They have just 15 field players available. Watching them play Colgate now. They may thin out some more with bad luck. They may not even be able to match us with only 15 field players.

In a match bearing no resemblance to the opener, they beat Bucknell on the road 1-0 in double overtime.

The match was shown on the Patriot League Network. Yes, the Patriot League has a network too.

Pitt totally dominated the 106 approximate minutes the match lasted. In regulation time, they outshot Bucknell 24-9. They hit a post and the crossbar; the Bucknell GK made a couple of saves that were outstanding. Pitt finally scored shortly after the start of the 2nd OT.

Based on these two games, it’s hard to tell what to expect from this team. Waldrum used a different lineup, starting 5 freshmen today and replacing 2 sophomores with 2 other sophomores. They appeared much more cohesive defensively and the MF controlled the action, but it was against Bucknell.
I don’t care if it’s Bucknell. This is good news. When was the last time they started 2-0? In the past you couldn’t even assume a win vs Youngstown st.

Based on these two games, it’s hard to tell what to expect from this team.

For some perspective, I was at the Loyola - Duquesne game today that ended in a 1-1 tie. I cannot imagine how Loyola scored four goals against Pitt, because they did not strike me as a very good offensive team at all. Their only goal today came on a pk with about 40 seconds left in regulation, when the Duquesne goalie completely unnecessarily pushed over a girl who was not in a threatening position to try to get to the ball.

But having said that, you shouldn't make any judgements off of one or two games either.

Their only goal today came on a pk with about 40 seconds left in regulation, when the Duquesne goalie completely unnecessarily pushed over a girl who was not in a threatening position to try to get to the ball
That’s Megan Virgin. Sounds like she played a good game though. Great girl who had to sit behind Kyra Murphy at Canon Mac for 3 years before inheriting the job when Kyra graduated and left for Duquesne. Ironically she is following Murphy again at Duquesne where Kyra broke all of Duquesne’s GK records. She would have played against your niece in the state playoffs in 2016 on her way to a PIAA state title. One of several local Beadling girls on that Duquesne team—a club where Duquesne recruits well, and where Pitt now has good relationships.

As far as Mike’s statement about not knowing what to expect from Pitt, without looking at the schedule I’d say 1-2 more wins?

That’s Megan Virgin. Sounds like she played a good game though. Great girl who had to sit behind Kyra Murphy at Canon Mac for 3 years before inheriting the job when Kyra graduated and left for Duquesne. Ironically she is following Murphy again at Duquesne where Kyra broke all of Duquesne’s GK records. She would have played against your niece in the state playoffs in 2016 on her way to a PIAA state title. One of several local Beadling girls on that Duquesne team—a club where Duquesne recruits well, and where Pitt now has good relationships.

As far as Mike’s statement about not knowing what to expect from Pitt, without looking at the schedule I’d say 1-2 more wins?

Virgin did play well (other than needlessly giving up the penalty). But I also didn't see anyone on Loyola who looked like a big time scoring threat either. But again, just one game.

If I recall correctly, Pitt plays several A10 teams in the non-conference, surely they can beat a couple of those teams.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This is the third consecutive season they have started 3-0.
Are you sure? I suppose you are. I guess many years of losing has me thinking otherwise. The barometer will be when they start winning some conference games.

Reactions: mike412
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT