ADVERTISEMENT

WVol PItt vs BC

BC’s RPI is 162. Beating them won’t hrlp a lot but losing would hurt but I don’t think that’s going to happen. Pitt’s up in the 2nd 17-15. Retros are looking sweet.

Pitt seemed flat until late in the 2nd. Lund then went all in beast. Yea strawberry looked good.

BC’s RPI is 162. Beating them won’t hrlp a lot but losing would hurt but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

That really isn't the way that RPI works. BC's record after today is 12-6. I haven't looked at their schedule, but let's assume that all of those are against D1 teams so they all count for RPI. Beating them today almost certainly helped Pitt's RPI, no matter what their RPI is. The RPI of the teams that you beat has nothing at all to do with the system. The record of the teams that you beat have everything to do with RPI.

I've always said that's one of the major flaws of the RPI. For instance using the numbers on the NCAA web site from the beginning of the week, BC was 12-4 and 135. High Point, who Pitt also beat earlier this season at home, was 7-8 and 108. In any system that makes even a modicum of sense, beating the team ranked 108 should be better for your ranking than beating the team ranked 135. Yet because of the disparity of their records, beating BC is almost certainly better for Pitt's RPI than beating High Point was, because BC's record is a lot better than High Point's and 50% of the RPI is your opponent's record.

Now that the NCAA has relegated the RPI to the scrap bin for basketball, which it was originally designed for, hopefully they do the same with every other sport as well.

Reactions: H2P28
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense your opponents opponents play a big part in the rpi system. Please explain how a win against a D1 opponent (with a high rpi) vs losing to the same opponent affects rpi. Do you get credit when you lose?

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense your opponents opponents play a big part in the rpi system. Please explain how a win against a D1 opponent (with a high rpi) vs losing to the same opponent affects rpi. Do you get credit when you lose?

The RPI is simply your winning percentage times 0.25 plus your opponents winning percentage times 0.50 plus your opponents opponents winning percentage times 0.25. You winning percentage is adjusted for home and road games but none of your opponents winning percentages are (which is another thing that never made any sense).

So 3/4 of the effect of playing a team is the same whether you win the game or not. It is possible to lose a game and have your RPI go up, generally when a bad team loses to a really good one, and it is also possible to beat a team and have your RPI go down, for instance if Pitt played someone right now with a record like 2-14 Pitt could win all three games 25-0 and their RPI would surely go down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT