ADVERTISEMENT

X's & O's: WVU Offense v Pitt Defense

XanderCrews34

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2014
Quick Summary:

Last season WVU was dead last in the B12 in rushing and averaged 34 passing and rushing attempts per game
WVU averaged 25 ppg, 88th in the nation
WVU returns its entire OL so they should at least be better than they were last season
WVU has some size at WR with Prather and Ford-Winston being 6'4 and 6'3. Expect to see them working the outsides
The running back group wasn't very productive last season and I expect Graham Harrell to throw, throw, throw
Therefore, the key player seems obvious...

The main thing I've focused on:
Of course the headliner is JT Daniels, transfer from UGA
It's hard to say whether Daniels is actually that good. His career numbers are ok, injuries have derailed him
He clearly has a strong arm. If it's a solid play call and he has time he can deliver a nice ball...
- however - his accuracy really tails off when his first read isn't open, he does not look comfortable moving around the pocket, and he is prone to making really risky throws

Daniels
I truly believe the matchup between the Pitt pass defense and JT Daniels is the #1 key to this game by a mile.
This might seem unfair but what I couldn't get over, and what I think a key is for Pitt to win, is refusing to let Daniels make unpressured throws.

This is Daniels comfortable:
siiKqLB.gif

2021 vs. South Carolina. No pressure, 1st read, deep throw, easy TD

PSDCkNU.gif

2021 vs. USC. No pressure, 1st read ( a fantastic freshman TE ), on time. Good play.

tsJvETp.gif

2021 vs. Clemson. Run action, slot down the seam. Something Pitt occasionally struggles to defend. Yes we all remember WMU. A play to look for.

nr3H5Y8.gif

2021 vs. Clemson. First read. Sees the OLB drift to the inside for no real reason. Hits the open TE for a first down.

This is how Daniels can successfully move the ball. First read. Clean pocket. Get rid of the ball.

This is Daniels when he is uncomfortable:

YtqJ6tT.gif

Look at his eyes. You can see that he can't hit his initial read to the bottom of the screen so he sort of blindly throws it into the middle of the field. This is where Hill and Hallett need to be ready to pounce.

6IccloM.gif

TE down the middle was probably the initial read. It wasn't there. Daniels misses the check down to the RB and throws it up for grabs and I'm not even sure who was the intended receiver.

Bottom line: if Daniels is getting rid of the ball quickly to his first option, he can be good. He hasn't shown that he can work through his progressions and throw on time with accuracy.

My last two pieces of evidence that Daniels will throw it up for grabs:

vHi8Smo.gif
8cMaap5.gif

You can start to see the pattern. Arm talent isn't the problem. Processing information is the problem. Improvisation is the problem. If Daniels can't hit his first read, he really struggles to deliver the ball on time and he struggles to buy himself time to avoid sacks.
iWXP2n0.gif

And again. These are reads he will be expected to make in the Air Raid offense. I'm really not sure he's up to the task. There's a chance Daniels could fulfill his 5 star potential...but I just haven't seen it yet.

Short-ish post but that's mostly because the matchup is easy to identify.

Daniels is the key for WVU. Graham Harrell is a student of the Air Raid. He will want to sling the ball all over the field in all likelihood.
If Daniels has a clean pocket and can get rid of the ball to his initial read then WVU's offense can make some noise against Pitt's defense.
If he's under heavy pressure and forced to improvise...I just haven't seen him make the necessary decisions to beat Pitt's pass rush.

Pitt's DL vs. WVU's OL = Advantage Pitt
Pitt's LB's vs. WVU's RB's and TE's = Advantage Pitt
Pitt's DB's vs. WVU's WR's = Should be advantage Pitt unless Daniels has time and easy throws

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News