ADVERTISEMENT

Your game plan as OC

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
I’ve been critical of Phil & PN from the last game but moving on…What’s the game plan on O if you are OC?

Early on unlike last game I would try to establish the run. Rodney played well vs them last year so hopefully get him going. And let Phil continue to use his legs.

As far as Phil I hope our OC tries to build back his confidence early. Some easy passes such as to a RB out of backfield or even the WR screen which we know many hate. Maybe hit Bub on a short WR screen early so he can move on from the last game as well. Or even short safety valve passes to the TE.

This will open up the deep passing game as the WVU DB’s got beat on several passes over 20 yards by Duquesne. If their QB can do it Phil better be able to.

What’s your game plan? No you can’t bench Phil as part of the plan as PN won’t.

BTW I think/hope Phil bounces back and has a nice game in a Pitt win.

Short, easy passes to get a 6th year senior confidence up isn’t what you want. WVU will have literally nothing to fear as far as us going deep. I’d expect WVU to stuff the box and press our WR’s. We have to depend on our WR’s to get open on their intermediate routes if we want to open up that defense a little.

Also, we absolutely can’t be predictable. So, limit the 1st down run plays. Everyone in the country knows we are going to run a slam or some variation of a power in between the tackles run on 1st down. More play action early to take advantage of an overly aggressive defense would be nice.

Short, easy passes to get a 6th year senior confidence up isn’t what you want. WVU will have literally nothing to fear as far as us going deep. I’d expect WVU to stuff the box and press our WR’s. We have to depend on our WR’s to get open on their intermediate routes if we want to open up that defense a little.

Also, we absolutely can’t be predictable. So, limit the 1st down run plays. Everyone in the country knows we are going to run a slam or some variation of a power in between the tackles run on 1st down. More play action early to take advantage of an overly aggressive defense would be nice.
True we shouldn’t have to do short easy passes for 6th year guy, but as bad as he was…

Agree about play action but need to establish the run for it to work.

I have always said that if I was a college OC I would take advantage of the fact that there is so much turnover at that level. I love me some delayed releases, cutbacks, wheel routes slipping the back out of the backfield, legal pick plays, etc. Make college defenders know all their assignments. Only takes one backup LB to not pick up a back, and it's six.

As a generality, the only advantage I see to having a pro-style offense with complex terminology would be the QB recruiting, and that hasn't gone so well. So... maybe this Cignetti thing isn't landing.

And then this week specifically... the whole world thinks you're going to try to establish the run early. So maybe play action on the first few plays. But I'm throwing screens and quick slants all night long, because you know their DL smells blood after last week. Keep them thinking; don't let them pin their ears back. And I'm definitely focusing on positive yardage on first down. We didn't do that enough last week.

True we shouldn’t have to do short easy passes for 6th year guy, but as bad as he was…

Agree about play action but need to establish the run for it to work.
Usually I’d agree, but I think that WVU is guessing we’re going to run the ball a lot. I’m thinking early in the game, you might catch them being overly aggressive and hit on a play down the field.

I have always said that if I was a college OC I would take advantage of the fact that there is so much turnover at that level. I love me some delayed releases, cutbacks, wheel routes slipping the back out of the backfield, legal pick plays, etc. Make college defenders know all their assignments. Only takes one backup LB to not pick up a back, and it's six.

As a generality, the only advantage I see to having a pro-style offense with complex terminology would be the QB recruiting, and that hasn't gone so well. So... maybe this Cignetti thing isn't landing.

And then this week specifically... the whole world thinks you're going to try to establish the run early. So maybe play action on the first few plays. But I'm throwing screens and quick slants all night long, because you know their DL smells blood after last week. Keep them thinking; don't let them pin their ears back. And I'm definitely focusing on positive yardage on first down. We didn't do that enough last week.
Need to establish the run BEFORE you can play action pass.
Football 101.

Reactions: 4upmc
I mean honestly, I don’t think the types of plays I’d like to see them implement in the pass game are even a consideration in Frank’s scheme. Slants , drags, bubble/swing passes, etc. didn’t see them last year abd aren’t this year either.

I’d also like to see a run game outside the tackles. Jet sweeps or some toss plays. A hallmark of cig’s running game is almost everything is between the tackles.

In general get guys in space as well. He does a horrific job with that, but I think at that point it’s an entirely different coordinator

I mean honestly, I don’t think the types of plays I’d like to see them implement in the pass game are even a consideration in Frank’s scheme. Slants , drags, bubble/swing passes, etc. didn’t see them last year abd aren’t this year either.

I’d also like to see a run game outside the tackles. Jet sweeps or some toss plays. A hallmark of cig’s running game is almost everything is between the tackles.

In general get guys in space as well. He does a horrific job with that, but I think at that point it’s an entirely different coordinator

We're a horrible bubble screen team; I'd rather not see any of those. But I was surprised we didn't get Che an end-around or two last week.

Maybe have some hot routes ready or practiced so in the face of an all out blitz like last week Phil has somewhere to go with the ball quickly. Throw where all the players vacated so it hurts them to blitz and they think twice about it.

You're thinking beyond 1 dimension. Wanna bet the Cignetti calls two run plays to start the first drive?

Reactions: RoguePanther
Maybe have some hot routes ready or practiced so in the face of an all out blitz like last week Phil has somewhere to go with the ball quickly. Throw where all the players vacated so it hurts them to blitz and they think twice about it.

That's often the middle of the field, which was open often last game. Play action and throw it over the middle to TEs or WRs on crossing routes.

Also get the backs involved in the passing game. The WRs are mediocre, use the TEs and RBs.

We're a horrible bubble screen team; I'd rather not see any of those. But I was surprised we didn't get Che an end-around or two last week.

Why is it when other teams run bubble screen, they tend to have blockers in place the WR has a good idea of where to run, but when Pitt tries it it looks more like the circus is in town.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Why is it when other teams run bubble screen, they tend to have blockers in place the WR has a good idea of where to run, but when Pitt tries it it looks more like the circus is in town.

It's every time. Other teams blow our corners back 5 yards; when we do it, it's a a no gain play that barely missed being a pick six.

Our receivers don't just suck at running and catching, I'm thinking. When Narduzzi said they give him chest pains at times, I imagine blocking was part of that.

It's every time. Other teams blow our corners back 5 yards; when we do it, it's a a no gain play that barely missed being a pick six.

Our receivers don't just suck at running and catching, I'm thinking. When Narduzzi said they give him chest pains at times, I imagine blocking was part of that.

Need a new OC who can score points, and need to do a better job recruiting because now N.C. and Miami are starting to kill it in addition to FSU and Clemson.

Reactions: MajorMajors

It’s because of running the bubble and swing type screens we seem to try and run the old school screen where two receivers block while a stationary catches the ball.

It’s another case of not getting the players balls in space

It's just what you think happens. You ignore their bad plays and only focus on their good plays. Not saying Pitt is good at running it, but if other teams were so good they'd run it every play. However, they don't.

Not use Jurkovec, for starters. My 11 year old son’s flag football league has kids who throw better passes than him. Lol

It's just what you think happens. You ignore their bad plays and only focus on their good plays. Not saying Pitt is good at running it, but if other teams were so good they'd run it every play. However, they don't.

I'd love to see stats for those for all teams.

First play of the game the whole world knows ol Duzzer is gonna want us to run Hammond up the middle. The Hoopies will be amped up. I do a flea flicker. Means 40 yards downfield. BOOM. Boom is the sound of Jurkovecs errant pass clanging off the camera man's equipment but the idea is still good.

QB prospects want to go where they can put up big showy numbers. I don't think they're all that concerned about running a pro stye offense to maximize their NFL prospects--because it doesn't.

QB prospects want to go where they can put up big showy numbers. I don't think they're all that concerned about running a pro stye offense to maximize their NFL prospects--because it doesn't.
Bingo

NFL rookie quarterbacks are being asked to contribute earlier than ever before. Before Mahomes, there were running jokes about Big 12 quarterbacks not translating. I think the system they came from is absolutely something NFL front offices are taking into account.

We need to hit C’Bo in the flat several times. He can make the first defender miss…

(And I know it’s too much to ask, but could Duzz call someone to add a little creativity to the offense?? Or maybe just copy some of Cincy’s plays…)

Go Pitt.

We need to hit C’Bo in the flat several times. He can make the first defender miss…

(And I know it’s too much to ask, but could Duzz call someone to add a little creativity to the offense?? Or maybe just copy some of Cincy’s plays…)

Go Pitt.

After a 31% completion rate, I'll take hitting anybody anywhere at this point.

NFL rookie quarterbacks are being asked to contribute earlier than ever before. Before Mahomes, there were running jokes about Big 12 quarterbacks not translating. I think the system they came from is absolutely something NFL front offices are taking into account.
Ok, but look at where some of the top guys played and the systems they played in. Justin Herbert was at oregon and I believe in a spread RPO with Moorehead. Mahomes was in the air raid. Lamar and jalen hurts definitely ran spread offenses. Same with Trevor Lawrence. I don’t remember what Allen played in at Wyoming and I think burrow was more pro style

Edit. Moorehead wasn’t at oregon with Herbert but they absolutely ran a spread

Ok, but look at where some of the top guys played and the systems they played in. Justin Herbert was at oregon and I believe in a spread RPO with Moorehead. Mahomes was in the air raid. Lamar and jalen hurts definitely ran spread offenses. Same with Trevor Lawrence. I don’t remember what Allen played in at Wyoming and I think burrow was more pro style

Oh it's definitely not a prerequisite or anything. And if anything, the pro game is emulating college more lately than vice versa. It's a fair point, and I absolutely think it makes no sense to run a complex pro style offense in college.

I was speaking more in theory with my initial comment: I could see mastering a pro-style offense being appealing to a QB recruit (particularly one in the portal with some question marks about his ability to do so). I think if someone leads a successful pro-style attack while throwing to Pitt-level receivers, it could be viewed more fondly than a guy who is throwing to five Marvin Harrison Jr's running wild all over the field. But, like I said, we're not recruiting the position well anyway, so what's the point? It's just self-imposed restriction, honestly.

Narduzzi is infatuated with a certain approach to football, and I still wonder how much of his success he even "gets."

Lamar was in a pro style offense with Petrino but your comment proves the point- these QBs come from a ton of different systems now a days. The Clemson offense looks nothing like any NFL team would ever run but talent is talent- the NFL won't take a worse player because he lined up under center in college.

Oh it's definitely not a prerequisite or anything. And if anything, the pro game is emulating college more lately than vice versa. It's a fair point, and I absolutely think it makes no sense to run a complex pro style offense in college.

I was speaking more in theory with my initial comment: I could see mastering a pro-style offense being appealing to a QB recruit (particularly one in the portal with some question marks about his ability to do so). I think if someone leads a successful pro-style attack while throwing to Pitt-level receivers, it could be viewed more fondly than a guy who is throwing to five Marvin Harrison Jr's running wild all over the field. But, like I said, we're not recruiting the position well anyway, so what's the point? It's just self-imposed restriction, honestly.

Narduzzi is infatuated with a certain approach to football, and I still wonder how much of his success he even "gets."
He doesn't get that. Narduzzis approach works to a degree- to his credit his teams tend to bounce back from head scratching losses which speaks to coaching. His stubborn confidence in his own approach probably contributes to his teams ability to bounce back. But he will never adapt to the modern game- he wants to run things his way.

He and Cig seemed to concoct a scheme that was Frankensteinish in both its ultimate simplicity (the paucity of anything but basic off tackle runs and simple fly pass patterns) but in the crazy complexity (all the motion, etc) to get there. So you get something that is mundane yet too complicated at the same time.

I’ve been critical of Phil & PN from the last game but moving on…What’s the game plan on O if you are OC?

Early on unlike last game I would try to establish the run. Rodney played well vs them last year so hopefully get him going. And let Phil continue to use his legs.

As far as Phil I hope our OC tries to build back his confidence early. Some easy passes such as to a RB out of backfield or even the WR screen which we know many hate. Maybe hit Bub on a short WR screen early so he can move on from the last game as well. Or even short safety valve passes to the TE.

This will open up the deep passing game as the WVU DB’s got beat on several passes over 20 yards by Duquesne. If their QB can do it Phil better be able to.

What’s your game plan? No you can’t bench Phil as part of the plan as PN won’t.

BTW I think/hope Phil bounces back and has a nice game in a Pitt win.
Maybe just 3 but I’ll take any points to start with early lead. So much for those who said we couldn’t run to start the game. Rodney and Phil run. Not a bad job by this OC lol.

Anyways, they are going to have to stack the box even more, which is gonna set up Phil, now can he complete the open throws with play action which will be there.

Establishing the run makes a huge difference in setting up, play action, whether some want to believe it or not.

Maybe just 3 but I’ll take any points to start with early lead. So much for those who said we couldn’t run to start the game. Rodney and Phil run. Not a bad job by this OC lol.

Anyways, they are going to have to stack the box even more, which is gonna set up Phil, now can he complete the open throws with play action which will be there.

Establishing the run makes a huge difference in setting up, play action, whether some want to believe it or not.
The question is does the staff trust him. So far it doesn’t appear that they do

Reactions: 4upmc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT