ADVERTISEMENT

Your Nomination For Program on the Ropes

APanther

Scholarship
Oct 6, 2020
I think it’s clear. Florida State. Three consecutive years of losing seasons. Fischer destroyed the Seminoles. I mean, you can just roll out of bed and land 4 stars in Florida. Will take a total remake. They are two years away from being merely mediocre.
I know the knee jerk reaction is to pick PSU, but that would be based just on this year. Same with Michigan or LSU.
For me, FSU is the poster boy for a disaster of a program. Who do you pick and why?

I don’t think PSU is necessarily on the ropes. It’s just one season and they have a boat load of issues. Many teams have the same issues, such as opt outs and season ending injuries etc. PSU has a greater problem and that’s the fact that Mr Chopping Wood at Rutgers and Locksley at Maryland are recruiting machines and will be competition for Franklin in New Jersey and the DMV area.

FSU is an easy choice because they are a name program that just flat out lacks talent. I am not sure they are a true blue-blood though. They were an irrelevant program for many decades who didn't accomplish much until the 1990s. They had an incredible run for about 15 years, and then were still elite for much of the following decade, but they may spend the next 20 years reminiscing about their glory years.

Michigan is not a good football team in terms of coaching, preparation, and game plan, but they still have talent. They had the 2nd most NFL draft picks last year. The right coach have them at 10+ wins in 2 years.

How about Nebraska for a program on the ropes. I know they held on to beat Akron last week, but the were a dominant program for almost 50 years from the 1960s into the 2000s. They haven't had a first round NFL draft pick in 10 years. In 2019, they had ZERO players selected in the NFL draft. Last year, they had two player selected in the draft, in the 6th and 7th rounds. They have had 3 straight losing seasons and look like they may a have 4th this year. Arrow pointing down!

No. But Jimbo is absolutely one of the most overrated coaches ever.

Yet his first seven year he won 78 games, won a national Championship, two orange bowls and finished in the top ten in four years. Then goes to Texas AM rips off a nine win season, an eight win season and oh they are currently ranked fifth in the country.

since he has left Florida state, they are yet to have a winning season and look downright miserable! There are a bunch of overrated coaches Jimbo CERTAINLY isn’t one of them.

Yet his first seven year he won 78 games, won a national Championship, two orange bowls and finished in the top ten in four years. Then goes to Texas AM rips off a nine win season, an eight win season and oh they are currently ranked fifth in the country.

since he has left Florida state, they are yet to have a winning season and look downright miserable! There are a bunch of overrated coaches Jimbo CERTAINLY isn’t one of them.
I completely agree with you. He is one of the 10 best head coaches in the country and it isn’t even a debate.

Reactions: APanther
FSU is an easy choice because they are a name program that just flat out lacks talent. I am not sure they are a true blue-blood though. They were an irrelevant program for many decades who didn't accomplish much until the 1990s. They had an incredible run for about 15 years, and then were still elite for much of the following decade, but they may spend the next 20 years reminiscing about their glory years.

Michigan is not a good football team in terms of coaching, preparation, and game plan, but they still have talent. They had the 2nd most NFL draft picks last year. The right coach have them at 10+ wins in 2 years.

How about Nebraska for a program on the ropes. I know they held on to beat Akron last week, but the were a dominant program for almost 50 years from the 1960s into the 2000s. They haven't had a first round NFL draft pick in 10 years. In 2019, they had ZERO players selected in the NFL draft. Last year, they had two player selected in the draft, in the 6th and 7th rounds. They have had 3 straight losing seasons and look like they may a have 4th this year. Arrow pointing down!

yep. 5 losing seasons in the last six.

Jimbo is definitely up there. He has multiple top ten finishes and a ring. Outside of Mack Brown is there another active coach which can say that?

Riley & Kelly are you there too.

We will see what Day does; Chryst could get there.

What do Nebraska and Pitt have in common?

I’d put Jimbo in top 5 of active coaches. He’s definitely behind Brother and Swinney and probably Day (who is just incredible in every facet). Trying to think of one other coach I’d take ahead of Jimbo.

Recruiting wise, I’d take Jimbo before probably anyone. FSU isn’t an elite program. It was for about a 10-15 year period and that’s it. They don’t commit resources like they do in Athens, Gainesville, Clemson, or even Auburn. There are a lot of bullshit barriers that were in place that dealt with FSU trustees/board and even state government in Tallahassee. That school is a mess in terms of number of influential people who thought they were in charge and it was very much to the detriment of the school’s football program. His move to College Station was absolutely perfect in every sense. That program is all about merit and success and not ego. They craved for a coach like JF and they showed they were serious.

FSU is closer to Miami (in terms of level of program) than it is to UF or UGA or Clemson.

Reactions: jctrack

This is a great point. I didnt even think about them but the truth is I used to love Nebraska back in early 2000's when they had that amazing power run that no one could stop. It was really amazing. Now pffttt. They have not been the same since they scrapped the wing T IMHO

What do Nebraska and Pitt have in common?

Nulilred.jpg

BubbleBoy.jpg

This is a great point. I didnt even think about them but the truth is I used to love Nebraska back in early 2000's when they had that amazing power run that no one could stop. It was really amazing. Now pffttt. They have not been the same since they scrapped the wing T IMHO

Nebraska ran the "I" formation and was a pro-style offense that dabbled in the option for 50 years. They never were a wing t offense. During Crouch's latter years they began to dabble with the flexbone but probably only around 20% of the time.

Reactions: dave97
Florida State. They may be the new Miami. Norvell was a really bad hire. His claim to fame was simply maintaining a Memphis program that Justin Fuente built from nothing. He didn't earn a job that big.

Nebraska is past the program being on the ropes. They have moved down into Pitt land. Just another program. FSU is definitely a program on the ropes because the competition down there is so fierce. Michigan is starting to get really high on this list.

Nebraska is not only on the ropes but in danger of becoming irrelevant. Most of today's players weren't alive in their glory days.

I think it’s clear. Florida State. Three consecutive years of losing seasons. Fischer destroyed the Seminoles. I mean, you can just roll out of bed and land 4 stars in Florida. Will take a total remake. They are two years away from being merely mediocre.
I know the knee jerk reaction is to pick PSU, but that would be based just on this year. Same with Michigan or LSU.
For me, FSU is the poster boy for a disaster of a program. Who do you pick and why?
UCLA
ILLINOIS is a dumpster fire
Syracuse is horrid

Nebraska is not only on the ropes but in danger of becoming irrelevant. Most of today's players weren't alive in their glory days.
Interesting point about "most of today's players weren't alive in their glory days" ... to be honest, how many teams outside of the south have won a national championship during the lifetimes of today's high schoolers? OSU and USC and that's it?

Reactions: Saboteur II

In danger of becoming irrelevant? They're there now. How are they any different than Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Purdue, Illinois, etc?

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
In danger of becoming irrelevant? They're there now. How are they any different than Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Purdue, Illinois, etc?

They recruit better (last five classes were ranked 20, 17, 23, 23, 26), and they offer a much better football environment. Combine that with the fact that they're in a very reasonable division, and they should honestly be performing a lot better.

Reactions: pittdan77
Nebrasksa hasn't been down that long yet. From 2008-2014 (with Bo Pelini as coach), the Huskers won 9 or 10 games every single season for 7 straight years and went to solid bowl games like Gator, Holiday, Capital One. People around here would kill for a 7 year run like that. But compared to Nebraska's previous heights, it was a let down to them as he could never get the 11 or 12 win season. Their decline really started in 2015 with the Mike Riley regime, 2 out 3 losings seasons and left a mess for Frost. Frost potentially on his was to a 3rd straight losing season and not a lot of noticeable talent on the roster. They could still rebound with a great hire in the next 2-3 years and will have just had a 6-7 year hiccup amongst 60+ years of success. Or they could continue to stay down for a few more years and making it very hard to climb back up. Sure looks like the latter is happening.

Nebrasksa hasn't been down that long yet. From 2008-2014 (with Bo Pelini as coach), the Huskers won 9 or 10 games every single season for 7 straight years and went to solid bowl games like Gator, Holiday, Capital One. People around here would kill for a 7 year run like that. But compared to Nebraska's previous heights, it was a let down to them as he could never get the 11 or 12 win season. Their decline really started in 2015 with the Mike Riley regime, 2 out 3 losings seasons and left a mess for Frost. Frost potentially on his was to a 3rd straight losing season and not a lot of noticeable talent on the roster. They could still rebound with a great hire in the next 2-3 years and will have just had a 6-7 year hiccup amongst 60+ years of success. Or they could continue to stay down for a few more years and making it very hard to climb back up. Sure looks like the latter is happening.
I’m not talking about Nebraska being a tier 2-3 program, which is what they’ve been for many many years. I’m talking about them being a tier 1 program.

That’s the entire crux of the topic. They, along with Michigan, ND, Penn St are not elite programs. And in the case of Nebraska they are not at the same tier as the above 3 schools. They haven’t been and they won’t be. Just like those 3 schools haven’t been at tier 1 and they won’t be.

Last edited:
Fischer destroyed the Seminoles.

Not even close to true. The Willie Taggart hire destroyed FSU.

Jimbo is definitely up there. He has multiple top ten finishes and a ring. Outside of Mack Brown is there another active coach which can say that?

Riley & Kelly are you there too.

We will see what Day does; Chryst could get there.
Chryst? How?

Wisky is a very good program but they will never be a CFP team or a NC contender.

As for Day, he inherited Urban's Lamborghini. Let's see where that program is when it's all Day's own-if he sticks around that long. He's an east coast guy with no Ohio roots and he has future NFL HC written all over him. There will be numerous openings in the NFL as usual, and his name will be in the mix for all of them.

They recruit better (last five classes were ranked 20, 17, 23, 23, 26), and they offer a much better football environment. Combine that with the fact that they're in a very reasonable division, and they should honestly be performing a lot better.

This exactly. Nebraska is performing so far below the curve it's not even funny. Big state school with plenty of support. No reason they can't compete in the B1G West annually.

Chryst? How?

Wisky is a very good program but they will never be a CFP team or a NC contender.

They enjoy a strong recruiting base for big ugly kids that are brought up as fans of the program. So long as the B1G keeps the divisions set up the way they are, they're in prime position to always be in the conversation. They can make the CFP just as easily as Washington did. Run the table and catch O$U down and it could happen.

Reactions: JSSTartan
The elephant in the room with Nebraska is that they were some of the biggest cheaters in all of college football under Father Tom Osborne. half of their team back in those days couldn't gain admission to a bad community college let alone a 4 year school. Ozzy was basically running The Longest Yard in Lincoln all those years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT