ADVERTISEMENT

your opinion.......hoopies

Top four in the Big Xll?
This year, I think so. I’d like to be wrong since their fans seem to be going into this season extra obnoxious and full of themselves. But I feel they return some of their key players who were good last year and some of the other Big XII teams don’t.

Why not at least #4 in their conference? Maybe their defense will be their undoing? Because that offense is going to put up big numbers, assuming they stay healthy.

How is the tax environment in WV? It’s literally one of the factors keeping me in Nevada, and certainly one of the reasons I would never move back to Pittsburgh.
o8 I can't answer the tax question about Wva.I live 2 miles from the Wva - Pa line in Pa.I know gas is 20 cent cheaper in Wva than Pa.Of course Pa has the highest gas tax in the country.The Wva property and school tax is nothing compared to what we pay here in Pa I do know that.Chazamo can tell you more about how the tax structure works over there,he lives there but doesn't like it!

Last edited:
This year, I think so. I’d like to be wrong since their fans seem to be going into this season extra obnoxious and full of themselves. But I feel they return some of their key players who were good last year and some of the other Big XII teams don’t.

Why not at least #4 in their conference? Maybe their defense will be their undoing? Because that offense is going to put up big numbers, assuming they stay healthy.

They could be top four in the Big Xll.

I was asking for confirmation of your thoughts because I couldn't tell if you meant conference, or you thought they were playoff bound.

I was asking for confirmation of your thoughts because I couldn't tell if you meant conference, or you thought they were playoff bound.
If they were playoff bound... yikes.

RALEIGH my honest opinion on 2018 is a 3rd place finish in the Big12. I'm no nearly as smart as most Wvu or Pitt fans for that matter so I'm probably wrong,Again!

Despite pizza boys fake mountaineer fan, I think more fans are cool with Holgorson. He just got a 4 star receiver commit, and has landed two 4 star qbs that didnt pan out. Although one will likely be a first round nfl draft selection at receiver.
Furthermore, I think transfer qbs are the future since the Clemsons and Bamas recruits if dont start they will want to go elsewhere. Who cares if the Will Greers come as transfers or freshman recruits.
Finally, I think my Mountaineers are in for a very special season .

How is the tax environment in WV? It’s literally one of the factors keeping me in Nevada, and certainly one of the reasons I would never move back to Pittsburgh.
Taxes aren’t bad, imo. 7% sales tax, no tax on grocery items, personal property taxes paid to the county aren’t bad unless you own lots of toys like new cars, boats, campers, etc. I drive an ‘06 Mercury Grand Marquis and a ‘14 Buick Encore and pay a total of about $125/year. Real estate taxes vary by county but here in Kanawha County, I pay about $1,000/year on a 3 bedroom back-split brick home in a city. State income tax isn’t too bad either.

The best thing, though, besides the natural beauty of the state, is the people. Friendliest people you’d ever want to know. UNLESS they’re WVU fans during a game. And even then, when they know you, that just makes it more fun. I used to host an annual keg party at my house for 30 friends during the Pitt/WVU game. Me versus 30 WVU fans. That was between 1979 and the last party was probably around 1996. Win lose or draw, they were great parties.

Flaeer I'm glad that you and the majority of Wvu fans are pleased with Holgy.A coach needs the support of the fan base to be successful.I just can't be satisfied with one 4 star commit and the other 11 recruits are 3stars.You cant win championships with that kind of recruiting!We're ranked 48th in the country and 8th in the Big12 in recruiting and you are happy?Holgersen is like 7-18 vs the top 25 and you are happy?I'll let Saban,Myers and Franklin know about the new recruiting strategy on tranfer QBs.Of course that nut in Michigan agrees with you because he can't get good QBs out of HS either.

Taxes aren’t bad, imo. 7% sales tax, no tax on grocery items, personal property taxes paid to the county aren’t bad unless you own lots of toys like new cars, boats, campers, etc. I drive an ‘06 Mercury Grand Marquis and a ‘14 Buick Encore and pay a total of about $125/year. Real estate taxes vary by county but here in Kanawha County, I pay about $1,000/year on a 3 bedroom back-split brick home in a city. State income tax isn’t too bad either.

The best thing, though, besides the natural beauty of the state, is the people. Friendliest people you’d ever want to know. UNLESS they’re WVU fans during a game. And even then, when they know you, that just makes it more fun. I used to host an annual keg party at my house for 30 friends during the Pitt/WVU game. Me versus 30 WVU fans. That was between 1979 and the last party was probably around 1996. Win lose or draw, they were great parties.
Mo I have a buddy that I play senior softball with living down your way in Institute.He's from Harrisburg and went to play baseball at West Va State in 1970 and never left that area.He loves it down there!Maybe it's the taxes why he stayed in Wva.

Last edited:
Mo I have a buddy that I play senior softball with living down your way in Institute.He's from Harrisburg and went to play baseball at West Va State in 1970 and never left that area.He loves it down there!Maybe it's the taxes why he stayed in Wva.
I played softball for a number of years against a bunch of guys from Dunbar / Institute - “Dunbar Merchants”. Damn good players !

My buddy is Henry Lewis,big lefthanded power hitter.He still can hit them over 300 feet consistently.I can hit them 150 feet on a good day.

I think it'd be a good idea for people to tap the brakes a bit on saying the Hoopies will be top-four in the Big 12. That defense has a lot to prove, and not against YSU.

The opener will be interesting, but I think they will beat Tennessee. I think, just looking at the teams in the conference that 5th looks like a good finish.

I always find comments like this interesting.

But I guess I don’t get the idea of living somewhere only because of tax rates .
Perhaps you might if you lived elsewhere for awhile. Or maybe you folks in PA enjoy paying the highest motor fuel taxes in the nation with perhaps the worst roads to show for it.
But we can have different priorities. Such is life.

He will make a boatload of NFL money. Hope he stays healthy....splendid competitor.
Even with one of the best QBs in the country I see 3rd place in the Big12.You need 24 good players to win championships not 3-4 good ones.

Even with one of the best QBs in the country I see 3rd place in the Big12.You need 24 good players to win championships not 3-4 good ones.
I think 2-3 place in the Big 12 is WVU's ceiling for now with Dana at HC. Not a knock on them but when the program cant recruit both sides of the ball, especially in that conference, you're not gonna be able to rely on your offense to light up the scoreboard every game.

Holgersen isn't a very good recruiter which makes it impossible to win championships.He's never lived up to his offensive genius title that people gave him upon his arrival at Wvu.I do get a kick out of his sideline shenanigans though.Gee I think I just described another coach thats about 70 miles north on Morgantown.If you substitute defensive genius for offensive genius plus they both are terrible recruiters.I just don't think WVU or Pitt can win championships with their current coaches.Bwdik
It's fun to talk about, but I see things a bit different. The people at WVU know (and have accepted) how difficult that it is to recruit at Hoopie U., and that in spite of the odds, Holgy seems to put together a competitive team most of the time.

Will they will championships? Probably not. But short of somehow getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban to spread their magic at WVU, I don't think that anyone can do better than the coach who's there now.

Huggy and Holgy both do a good job, considering how difficult that it must be to get 4-5 star players into Morgantown - and especially considering that the huge yoke that's around their necks because of their playing in the Big 12.

It's fun to talk about, but I see things a bit different. The people at WVU know (and have accepted) how difficult that it is to recruit at Hoopie U., and that in spite of the odds, Holgy seems to put together a competitive team most of the time.

Will they will championships? Probably not. But short of somehow getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban to spread their magic at WVU, I don't think that anyone can do better than the coach who's there now.

Huggy and Holgy both do a good job, considering how difficult that it must be to get 4-5 star players into Morgantown - and especially considering that the huge yoke that's around their necks because of their playing in the Big 12.
I agree that Holgersen is about as high as Wvu can go up the coaching tree of success.I'm not satisfied with his results and I want top 20 every year.But I'm a realist and know why it's so difficult to win in football at Wvu.It's hard to sell Morgantown to top recruits and without them you are middle of the pack.When Holgersen came here I envisioned top 20 recruiting classes but I overestimated his charisma and recruiting ability.I thought being a QB guru QBs would be knocking down the door to come here,I was wrong.If we come in top 3 in the Big12 this year that will be a very good year.Good teams reload and Wvu has no bullets to reload with in 2019,so back to 7-6.
P.S.Huggins is a beast!We have to enjoy him the next couple of years because when he's gone so are the top 20s.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Perhaps you might if you lived elsewhere for awhile. Or maybe you folks in PA enjoy paying the highest motor fuel taxes in the nation with perhaps the worst roads to show for it.
But we can have different priorities. Such is life.

Few gave a rats behind about the gas tax when gas was $2.19 a gallon. Every state has its gimmick. Everyone ends up paying about the same in the end

Few gave a rats behind about the gas tax when gas was $2.19 a gallon. Every state has its gimmick. Everyone ends up paying about the same in the end
I'm one Pennsylvanian that doesn't give a rats butt about Pa's 58 cents a gallon gas tax.Thats because I drive 5 miles and pay 25 cents a gallon less in good old West Virginia.

And many out of staters have little problem driving to PA to avoid paying sales tax on clothing

You truly do know it all!So live in Wva (7th lowest property tax) instead of Pa (6th highest property tax),buy your gas and food in Wva and buy your clothes in Pa.

the Greene County Dollar Generals thank you
Seriously we just got a Dollar Gereral in our area,it opened June 15.Thats the best thing to happen here since Bobtown Mine shut down in 1991.We are busting with pride down here over getting a dollar general!We don't have to drive to Walmart in Morgantown we do all our shopping at the General.

I also lived in WV for 8 years. I always hear West Virginians talk about how "beautiful" it is, and it is for the most part. But so is Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is stunningly gorgeous. Oh sure, driving through Clairton or Braddock isn't particularly pretty, neither is it driving through South Charleston or Huntington. And I like the amenities that Pittsburgh and Philly give you.

Think about it, you go 25 miles outside of Morgantown or Charleston, you are in the middle of the sticks. You go 40 miles outside of Pittsburgh, it is pretty much the same. So you live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh (like myself and most on here) you are no more than 45 minutes drive to Pro Sports teams, fantastic restaurants, shows and concerts, and 45 minutes drive to being in wooded, fairly remote country.

So, this is a pretty nice place to live.

Holgersen isn't a very good recruiter which makes it impossible to win championships.He's never lived up to his offensive genius title that people gave him upon his arrival at Wvu.I do get a kick out of his sideline shenanigans though.Gee I think I just described another coach thats about 70 miles north on Morgantown.If you substitute defensive genius for offensive genius plus they both are terrible recruiters.I just don't think WVU or Pitt can win championships with their current coaches.Bwdik
They were 20th and 16th in offense the last two years, which given, as you noted, he isn't a particularly good recruiter, is PDG.
They play entertaining football, very up and down. Can race boat teams at times, be down 20 points halfway through the third quarter come back and win - and just the same blow leads like that.
Agree with the post that they tend to win some big games, but blow a few games a year, too.
I will admit I was skeptical of him back when he was hired, and he is held back by his lack of personal discipline. But, he does pretty well for a program that isn't going to be a perenial power.

Gibby better have his act together if Wvu is going to be a top 20 team this year.That defense has some big holes in it.But the good point is a lot of the Big12 teams have big holes in their defensives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT