including the refs, knows that Narduzzi's DB's are going
to press one on one, and be physical. I'm convinced
they're looking more closely at how Pitt uses their
DB's in pass coverage. Throw in the fact that the
opposition's coaches are all over these refs complaining
on all pass plays. Narduzzi's reactions on the opposite
sideline only adds to it. I get it that our DB's are aggressive
and create contact, but some of the calls against us are
IMO nothing more than over reaction by the refs.

Yeah, we had a few calls go our way, but most close ones
are against us by virtue of our aggressive play. Some of the
pass interference calls the other night were pure BS.
As far as the "ACC screw job. Again," I do think there's a
degree of truth in that. It's like we good ole boys down
south aren't gonna stand for your Yankee crap. Just sayin, and
just my two cents.

Last edited:
What bs. Louisville had 4 penalties 25 yards pitt 8 penalties 95 yards . We got the ACC screw job .Again
But the refs missed at least 10 other calls on Pitt, on passes that Pitt defended and that the Cards begged for PI calls on, dontcha know? 🙄

The calls Brohm wanted and needed and continuously BEGGED for to allow the Cards to win the game instead of getting their @$$e$ kicked!

In other words, the Cards and their fans wanted the officials to HAND the game to them, instead of having to actually win it on the field. 😏

Reactions: gary2
But the refs missed at least 10 other calls on Pitt, on passes that Pitt defended and that the Cards begged for PI calls on, dontcha know? 🙄

The calls Brohm wanted and needed and continuously BEGGED for to allow the Cards to win the game instead of getting their @$$e$ kicked!

In other words, the Cards and their fans wanted the officials to HAND the game to them, instead of having to actually win it on the field. 😏
Are you saying Brohm is a whining crybaby?

Reactions: gary2
The conference / officials were trying to protect its 6-0 team. It is preposterous that conferences produce its own officials and can play those shenanigans; I don’t wager, but for betting alone, I’d think gamblers would go crazy when arbitrary bad calls are made to keep desired teams in a game. But it is smart business I guess. The conference likely Is ticked that it’s zebras didn’t stack the calls even harder.

The conference / officials were trying to protect its 6-0 team. It is preposterous that conferences produce its own officials and can play those shenanigans; I don’t wager, but for betting alone, I’d think gamblers would go crazy when arbitrary bad calls are made to keep desired teams in a game. But it is smart business I guess. The conference likely Is ticked that it’s zebras didn’t stack the calls even harder.
Why bother even playing the games, if there is such a desire to have the outcome decided by the conference? This is the ultimate in conspiracy theories, and you keep promoting it. There is not, nor has there ever been, a shred of evidence to validate your theory.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Why bother even playing the games, if there is such a desire to have the outcome decided by the conference? This is the ultimate in conspiracy theories, and you keep promoting it. There is not, nor has there ever been, a shred of evidence to validate your theory.

It goes hand in hand with the notion that there is a decades long conspiracy to hold down both Pitt football and basketball. Because that's clearly the biggest reason why we aren't a northern version of Alabama in football and Kentucky in basketball.

It's easier for some people to think that it's all the officials fault rather than admit that their favorite team just isn't that good (or that important for anyone to organize a huge conspiracy against).

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It goes hand in hand with the notion that there is a decades long conspiracy to hold down both Pitt football and basketball. Because that's clearly the biggest reason why we aren't a northern version of Alabama in football and Kentucky in basketball.

It's easier for some people to think that it's all the officials fault rather than admit that their favorite team just isn't that good (or that important for anyone to organize a huge conspiracy against).
Basketball officiating isn’t out to hold down Pitt in every game. They are out to prop up Tobacco Road.

It’s better for football. I think the road teams in inter conference games get some calls. Tennessee last year was a good example. PSU in 2016 was helped immensely by the refs.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Basketball officiating isn’t out to hold down Pitt in every game. They are out to prop up Tobacco Road.

It’s better for football. I think the road teams in inter conference games get some calls. Tennessee last year was a good example. PSU in 2016 was helped immensely by the refs.
So, it's not every game that is fixed, only the ones that Pitt happens to lose.

It's like we good ole boys down
south aren't gonna stand for your Yankee crap. Just sayin, and
just my two cents.
So you believe that among the southern, educated, successful class (from which these officials come) there is still talk/thought/hate for northern people?

Let’s add the media and broadcast teams to the discussion too. They never have anything bad to say about any other school in the country, but they hate Pitt and talk about it and write about it all the time.

So you believe that among the southern, educated, successful class (from which these officials come) there is still talk/thought/hate for northern people?
Of course I don't totally believe all of that. What
I was alluding to was IMO "there was a degree of truth"
that officials could lean a certain way. Even
though I'd be hard pressed to give you a
concrete example, I do believe a degree of
regional resentment against northerners
(yankees, as they refer to us) could result
in a call that might swing a certain way....
especially in a 50/50 call. A pass interference
call would be a perfect example. Can I prove
what's in a ref's head?..... of course not.

You mentioned "southern, educated successful
class" as though they're devoid of possiblty being
predjudiced, or better yet, leaning a certain
way. Personally I believe any group, be them
educated or not is capable of those feelings I
suggested.

Try reading Confederates in the Attic, by Pulitzer Prize
winning author Tony Horwitz. You might be surprised
by how many "educated, successful" folks still believe
in the LOST CAUSE. Not only believe in it, but belong
to groups, associations which hold on to those beliefs.

Yet Pitt still got screwed when Miami came to town in 2021.

Let’s add the media and broadcast teams to the discussion too. They never have anything bad to say about any other school in the country, but they hate Pitt and talk about it and write about it all the time.
We can’t have a thread like this and not mention the Rooneys. No bigger Pitt haters who do all they can to keep them down. In fact they too know Pitt would be better off with an on campus stadium but they do all they can to keep them on the North Shore to help ensure they never get to the “next level”.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
You might be surprised
by how many "educated, successful" folks still believe
in the LOST CAUSE.
Yes, I would be, having been born and raised in South Carolina, all my siblings (and most nieces/nephews)living south of Asheville NC, but we are generally not "educated".. and I have lived in PA since '72...Horwitz? I don't recall any in my childhood, but if he is an Ivy league, northerner with rich parents he has to be right on.....

Yes, I would be, having been born and raised in South Carolina, all my siblings (and most nieces/nephews)living south of Asheville NC, but we are generally not "educated".. and I have lived in PA since '72...Horwitz? I don't recall any in my childhood, but if he is an Ivy league, northerner with rich parents he has to be right on.....
My last sentence was tongue in cheek, btw., but your post was very interesting and I just may read that book!
Well. if you were born and raised in the south, I gotta believe
the LOST CAUSE is something you must have been aware of
before seeing it in my post. As for Confederates in the Attic,
it details the still existing movement that relates to that CAUSE.
Another book, Robert E Lee and Me, written by a Virginian, retired
Army General, Ty Seidule, also fits in this conversation. I highly
recommend it.

Anyway, back to football. I seriously don't believe there's a mass
movement by ACC refs to screw northern league members like
Pitt. Hell, we've been doing enough wrong on the field on our own.
With that said, I do believe there's enough proof of regional
differences that can maybe influence a ref to see a play a certain way.
A lot of that is human nature. I appreciate your "tongue in cheek."

Last edited:
I gotta believe
the LOST CAUSE is something you must have been aware of
before seeing it in my post.
Sure, but this is 2023, I was hoping by now people under age 50 at least would have moved on, plus with all the migration of northern kids moving out of the rust belt to the sun belt , I would think an old crew of southern refs without northern roots would be hard to assemble .

Sure, but this is 2023, I was hoping by now people under age 50 at least would have moved on, plus with all the migration of northern kids moving out of the rust belt to the sun belt , I would think an old crew of southern refs without northern roots would be hard to assemble .
I agree that an "old crew of southern refs.....would be hard to assemble."
However a leaning in a certain direction on a call on the field is reasonable.
Resonable for a lot of reasons, and this doesn't apply only to southerners
and this topic. A ref's call could even be effected by a sub conscious thought,
not only an overt, conscious one.

Anyway, we're probably boring the hell out of other posters who might be
reading this. I mentioned two books that I really think you'd enjoy and
definitely would add to this chat. Even if you disagreed with the authors,
my guess is you'd have a different perspective. Your comment about an
an "ivy league northerner, with rich parents" is noted. The second one,
Robert E Lee and Me is written by a southerner. I think you'd find his
transformation interesting, at least.

I'll end this with, some of what does exist is to be expected. For example;
do I expect the ACC network and their announcers to skew the show
towards Pitt or BC? Of course not. Does it lean in the direction of
Tobacco Road? Of course it does, and that is to be expected.

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT