ADVERTISEMENT

#1 PA recruit Quinton Martin to Pitt?

Mar 3, 2023
I’m hearing a lot of whispers in the recruiting world that Pitt is a serious contender for Quinton Martin. His top 3 are starting to look like OSU, PSU, and Pitt, but I’m not sure which order.

Most insiders have believed for quite some time that NIL would play a huge role in QM’s recruitment, and I’m hearing that Pitt is throwing a massive, all in on one player, type of deal at him. Very similar to what WVU did for Rodney Gallagher last year.

I wouldn’t do anything as bold as predicting QM to Pitt just yet. I’m just pointing out that Pitt’s a player in this one.

I’m hearing a lot of whispers in the recruiting world that Pitt is a serious contender for Quinton Martin. His top 3 are starting to look like OSU, PSU, and Pitt, but I’m not sure which order.

Most insiders have believed for quite some time that NIL would play a huge role in QM’s recruitment, and I’m hearing that Pitt is throwing a massive, all in on one player, type of deal at him. Very similar to what WVU did for Rodney Gallagher last year.

I wouldn’t do anything as bold as predicting QM to Pitt just yet. I’m just pointing out that Pitt’s a player in this one.

This is EXACTLY what I said a few months ago. He will go to the highest bidder BUT Pitt, if its serious about football, can and should pay more than an OSU, ND, Mich, etc where he will be just a random player on an 85 player team. Like you said, very similar to a Rodney Gallagher situation where WVU overpaid for a kid from down the street.

I'm really curious what these types of deals do to team chemistry. One guy shows up on campus who is heavily recruited, never played a down in college yet gets $1M and the other recruits who are less heavily recruited and have never played a down get a toaster oven. I could see how this could cause issues potentially. Curious to see how all of this plays out.

Cruzer

I don't think it's a good idea for Pitt to be going "all in" on any player. They would be better served to take that money and use it recruit a bunch of lower profile guys.

Reactions: Millerton24
I'm really curious what these types of deals do to team chemistry. One guy shows up on campus who is heavily recruited, never played a down in college yet gets $1M and the other recruits who are less heavily recruited and have never played a down get a toaster oven. I could see how this could cause issues potentially. Curious to see how all of this plays out.

Cruzer

Agreed, and I think team chemistry is the best thing we have going for us.

I'm also not sure that Martin is a can't-miss guy (based on what others have said; I haven't seen much of him myself).

Cruzer
I'm sure it isn't great for team chemistry but it is part of the business of sports. This is no different than a rookie first round QB getting $12M while a veteran offensive lineman makes $700K. There are different rules for different people and you get paid based upon your anticipated value. Isiah Wong, the star on Miami's basketball team, was upset that the new transfers were getting more NIL than him last spring so he put it out that he was going to enter the portal unless he got more and considering he is still with Miami it leads me to believe the boosters met his demands. If a current player is upset about Martin getting more than them they can enter the portal and see what the market believes their services are worth no different than any other profession.

Reactions: Eastern Eight
One guy alone is not advisable. We need to generally pay players across the board, and always should have been for decades … but not all to one guy. Too risky (injury, poor performer etc) and too polarizing to the rest of the team. The guy can just turn around and transfer anyway.

One guy alone is not advisable. We need to generally pay players across the board, and always should have been for decades … but not all to one guy. Too risky (injury, poor performer etc) and too polarizing to the rest of the team. The guy can just turn around and transfer anyway.
thats the thing, they can turn around and transfer anyways.. you see it happening BIG TIME in hoops. these 4 or 5 star recruits signing and gone the next year. HEll, Auburn hoops lost like 2 or 3 freshman that you know they paid for..

so you drop 100k - 200k to a true freshman who likely has a true freshman type of year and then he goes elsewhere, seasoned and ready to produce and you are back to square one, but 200k poorer..

That qb from texas who left high school early to go to ohio state. he made some serious money for what? To be the buckeyes practice qb and now he's at Texas.. Money well spent.

thats the thing, they can turn around and transfer anyways.. you see it happening BIG TIME in hoops. these 4 or 5 star recruits signing and gone the next year. HEll, Auburn hoops lost like 2 or 3 freshman that you know they paid for..

so you drop 100k - 200k to a true freshman who likely has a true freshman type of year and then he goes elsewhere, seasoned and ready to produce and you are back to square one, but 200k poorer..

That qb from texas who left high school early to go to ohio state. he made some serious money for what? To be the buckeyes practice qb and now he's at Texas.. Money well spent.
Exactly. Those programs can afford, pun intended, to take those kinds of blows if they happen, because they have bottomless wells of illicit cash and the willingness to spend it. One kid screws them one like that, they shrug and move on too the next 84 they can pay.

Pitt has one shot, throws everything in on one very high profile guy, risking the wrath of the anti-sports Pitt admin, faculty and artsy-fartsy student fringe ready to go on the warpath and the hostile media on the attack… he has a semi-decent season (because he’s still only a freshman and rest of our team is NOT five stars) … then he just ends up leaving, worst case to PSU or WVU, the next term anyway? Leaving the rest of the underpaid team (and assistants) still butthurt behind him? Too much risk.

Pay guys for sure, we should have been doing payola for decades like all the other teams… but spread it out and keep it under the radar. Stretch the budget when necessary for a key number of proven upper classmen or grad transfers to fill critical gaps … but the new instant-transfer-for-any-reason-at-any-time factor makes this one-hot-freshman strategy just too daunting.

The OP is a nitter masquerading as a Pitt fan. He's just trying to set the narrative in case they lose him.
lets invite him to a party and once he walks in, we tar and feather him. put a jerry sandusky mask on him and send him back tothe lasch showers in his underwear..

I'm also not sure that Martin is a can't-miss guy (based on what others have said; I haven't seen much of him myself).
Have never seen a "can't miss guy" used so ineffectively by a HS football coach as Martin. He might have had six touches on offense in the state semi-final. A can't miss, 5-star guy should just dominate those games so I share some of those concerns.

Have never seen a "can't miss guy" used so ineffectively by a HS football coach as Martin. He might have had six touches on offense in the state semi-final. A can't miss, 5-star guy should just dominate those games so I share some of those concerns.

Yeah, it very well may be legit. I just don't really have an opinion on it because I don't follow recruiting as closely now that it is effing insane.

Seems like he may have some of the same "positionless" concerns as Davis.

But he doesn’t keep getting paid if he transfers.

But if he produced the type of FR season that would result in him being wanted by everybody, you probably did get your money’s worth.

To be quite honest if Pitt is going to play the NIL big boy game I would rather it be at QB. I think that position has the power to change the rest of the program. An Elite QB makes everyone else better.
I agree with you regarding the QB comment. If you're going to spend big bucks on one player, spend it at the most important position on the field. That said, I've seen nothing to date that indicates Pitt is going to play the NIL game the way that the "big boys" do. Maybe I've missed something, but everything I've heard out of Pitt indicates they will use NIL the way that it was originally intended (as an opportunity for players to earn $$$ based on the use of their name, image, and likeness). When you see a high school recruit getting $1 - $2M in NIL before they've even played a down, that's really a pay for play deal (with a very, very few rare exceptions like Bronny James whose brand could command serious third party $$$). The vast majority of these huge dollar deals are straight up pay for play and Pitt seems unwilling to go down that path. Agree or disagree, that seems to be the Pitt philosophy which virtually rules out competing for the big buck recruits.

Cruzer

To be quite honest if Pitt is going to play the NIL big boy game I would rather it be at QB. I think that position has the power to change the rest of the program. An Elite QB makes everyone else better.
I see Martin as a RB in college. I don’t think his future is on defense. He could be a good RB, but I think the kids Pitt has committed look like they could be solid. I agree, I’d prefer they spend NIL money on a QB or WR — where they have serious questions.

Reactions: joeydavid
I agree with you regarding the QB comment. If you're going to spend big bucks on one player, spend it at the most important position on the field. That said, I've seen nothing to date that indicates Pitt is going to play the NIL game the way that the "big boys" do. Maybe I've missed something, but everything I've heard out of Pitt indicates they will use NIL the way that it was originally intended (as an opportunity for players to earn $$$ based on the use of their name, image, and likeness). When you see a high school recruit getting $1 - $2M in NIL before they've even played a down, that's really a pay for play deal (with a very, very few rare exceptions like Bronny James whose brand could command serious third party $$$). The vast majority of these huge dollar deals are straight up pay for play and Pitt seems unwilling to go down that path. Agree or disagree, that seems to be the Pitt philosophy which virtually rules out competing for the big buck recruits.

Cruzer

It certainly does seem as if Pitt isnt interested in doing the pay for play NIL as they dont advertise their NIL collectives. Not one time all basketball or football season was their an ad for their collectives at the games and their website looks like an old angelfire one.

I see Martin as a RB in college. I don’t think his future is on defense. He could be a good RB, but I think the kids Pitt has committed look like they could be solid. I agree, I’d prefer they spend NIL money on a QB or WR — where they have serious questions.
He's too big already to play running back in college, although it would appear that he is slow to realize that. SteelCurtain can weigh in on this, perhaps, but many think he should be playing defense.

I think he's too big of a gamble given how much $$$ he is going to require. A 5-star who will require 5-$ should at least have a defined position on the field first.

The OP is a nitter masquerading as a Pitt fan. He's just trying to set the narrative in case they lose him.
Yeah. 15 posts by the OP, so that’s almost certainly right.

He probably figures (likely correctly) that Nit maniac boosters would never let Pitt outbid them on a high profile guy. So he and his Nit butt buddies make this baiting post, envisioned gloating at expected replies here, fantasizing about Pitt getting this guy, when the realistic chances are likely, well, nil.

But to he and his fellow perverts’ dismay, it has generated some interesting discussion in this thread. It’s heartening to see we are in agreement for the most part that throwing good money after bad (bad as in both our chances and the wisdom in doing it).

OP, please don’t seize a 6 year old boy in frustration.

Yeah. 15 posts by the OP, so that’s almost certainly right.

He probably figures (likely correctly) that Nit maniac boosters would never let Pitt outbid them on a high profile guy. So he and his Nit butt buddies make this baiting post, envisioned gloating at expected replies here, fantasizing about Pitt getting this guy, when the realistic chances are likely, well, nil.

But to he and his fellow perverts’ dismay, it has generated some interesting discussion in this thread. It’s heartening to see we are in agreement for the most part that throwing good money after bad (bad as in both our chances and the wisdom in doing it).

OP, please don’t seize a 6 year old boy in frustration.
Well said and spot on!

Our $ should go to 1.) keep our proven top players. 2.) get impact transfers 3.) HS kids

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I have no idea what Martin's best position is. I do not think he's a DB. I don't think he's a RB either. I honestly think he's a lot like Dorin. He is an excellent receiver so I can see him being an H-Back guy at the next level. Possibly an outside LB.
H-back was my second thought if he continues to grow.

I have no idea what Martin's best position is. I do not think he's a DB. I don't think he's a RB either. I honestly think he's a lot like Dorin. He is an excellent receiver so I can see him being an H-Back guy at the next level. Possibly an outside LB.
The one thing everybody seems to agree on is that he isn't a running back in college. I know that earlier last year, he was still thinking he was. I don't know what he is thinking now, obviously. H back does seem like a possibility, although I'm having a hard time coming up with another 5-star H back.

This is a weird recruitment with a lot of potential for regret.

Martin is PSU 1st and 2nd, Pitt 3rd and OSU 4. The kid loves PSU. Family (uncle) wants him to stay closing to home. But unless Pitt throws something weird his way he is PSU’s to lose. Or if OSU dumps a ton of cash his way! Franklin has made him too priority though! Can we compete with the big dogs on this one my inside info says no! May be better off getting him in transfer portal in a couple of years

I think it starts with whether he wants to play O or D. If he wants to play offense, then I think it's a little easier for most OCs to find a way to get him the ball, move him around the formation. Call it an H-back if you want, but you can line him up in a variety of ways.

If he wants to play D, there are DCs that find ways to just get the athlete on the field on D and give them limited/appropriate assignments to take advantage of their strengths. However, that's not how Pitt operates generally on D. So, if he wants to play D for Pitt, he'll have to fit one of the established roles on our D or look elsewhere. I'd think he can do what Phil Campbell did though.

Cruzer
Cruzado, I think this type of an issue is a virtual certainty as this bizarre and absurd new NIL landscape continues to emerge. What about the non-revenue athletes who don't get anything?

My sincere hope is that NIL and the free transfer rules implode college athletics and force wholesale reform. The sooner the better.

Well look at his offer sheet whatever his college football position. I mean Pitt, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, etc you can choose the school can't all be wrong. This would be a huge commitment is he chooses Pitt.

There are a lot of similarities to Dorin. You obviously want to land a good local player, but unless there is some big whale working behind the scenes with NIL you can’t upset the team dynamic by giving a massive NIL deal to an unproven incoming freshman without a position. You have to take care of your proven guys first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT