ADVERTISEMENT

10 thoughts on the portal closing, Pitt's situation, DE targets and more

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
1. It’s the last day of the spring transfer portal window, which means players have until midnight (probably 11:59:59 or something) to submit their papers for entry into the portal. Schools have another 48 hours before they have to submit those papers officially - you might recall Pitt taking the full 48 hours with Jordan Addison - but I don’t think there will be many delays. If guys go in today, they’ll probably be in officially not long after.

2. As it stands right now, it looks like Pitt should be mostly done with transfers going out. I know we can all look at the roster and find anywhere from three to a half-dozen or more upperclassmen who are probably not making the two-deep - and that seems like a good impetus for going to the portal - it seems right now like the guys who are still on the roster will stay there.

3. Of course, it’s not just upperclassmen you have to keep your eye on. There are plenty of underclassmen (or at least a few) who were hearing some pushes from other schools this spring. Insert the standard indignation about tampering here so we can move on to the topic at hand.

Several Pitt players were hearing some considerable offers. And I think, in some cases, a few new NIL deals were crafted in order to keep Pitt players at Pitt.

From what we’ve seen, those efforts were successful. Dayon Hayes and Solomon DeShields both left after getting substantial deals in December, but otherwise, Pitt was able to keep the priority players this spring. Several underclassmen who were targeted in December were targeted once again this spring, but they’re still Panthers, so that’s a positive.

4. It goes without saying but we’ll say it anyway: all of this can change by the time I finish this sentence. Guys can be all set and good to go one minute only to turn around and enter the portal the next minute because a better offer came along.

Insert the standard indignation about loyalty here. It is what it is. Guys are getting an opportunity to get something for their efforts, and I can’t really begrudge anybody for getting what they feel they deserve (also defined as, what someone is willing to pay them).

5. So where do things stand?

Pitt has had eight players leave this spring and one join, which should put them right at 85 if all of the previous walk-ons retain their scholarships. That last part seems to be in question, because I don’t think the Pitt coaches are done looking for additions.

Remember, the portal closes today for entries, but players who are in the portal by today can keep looking for schools - which means schools can keep adding transfers even after the window closes.

6. That said, it doesn’t feel like there are a ton of options available for Pitt right now. We all know the biggest need is on the defensive line, but as far as I can tell, the strongest option for the Panthers right now is Anthony Johnson, who went from Bowling Green to Youngstown State to Illinois (just for the offseason) and back into the portal. I think Pitt’s got a good shot of landing Johnson if they really want to push for him, but even if the Panthers get Johnson, he’s a defensive tackle, not a defensive end, and I think the bigger need is at end, where an already thin situation got thinner with the departure of Dayon Hayes.

Sure, they could use another veteran defensive tackle, but the depth there is a little better than it is at end - or, maybe put another way, the depth is more dire at end than it is at tackle.

7. But as I watch the entries into the portal and talk to different people who know more than I do, it doesn’t seem like there are a lot of great options. And right now, because a lot of teams are desperate for pass-rushers, players who are just “solid” or “okay” or even “average” are commanding (or demanding) top dollar because there’s not a lot of them available.

It’s a seller’s market, so to speak, and that’s a challenging spot for a school like Pitt to be in, because they’re not particularly well-positioned to compete in a seller’s market.

8. So while I will agree with everyone who says they need a transfer defensive end, I also wonder if they’ll actually pull it off. The coaches probably have a few scholarship spots to play with (again, that walk-on question above) so they might find a depth piece they can add. But right now it’s feeling like the pass rush is going to be depending on the guys they have on the roster already.

9. Along those lines, I think there’s a chance Nate Matlack could end up being pretty good. From what I’ve heard, he had a good spring camp and might end up being their best pass-rusher. I also think Sincere Edwards is going to be in the mix, and maybe we’ll see Jimmy Scott step up - either as a reserve or a starter.

10. Finding another starter to play with Matlack is the biggest question. Could it be Scott? Bam Brima? A freshman? Clemson transfer David Ojiegbe? There are a lot of options, and I don’t know how it’s going to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News