ADVERTISEMENT

12 team playoff model?

OK, my turn to be Ski, and slap some brutal honesty to this. If some bowls get eliminated, I am fine with that. I know it is a "reward" but what it also is "programming" (hell ESPN will have the NHL now, maybe they can try and actually promote it this time around and that can fill December time slots) Anyways.... I don't care about the R+L Carrier Bowl pitting Southern Miss vs Troy State. I could care less. That doesn't mean I want it gone, but if it is gone, it is something I wouldn't miss. I pretty much watch bowls involving teams I usually would watch.
The only bowls that would be eliminated are the bowls the additional playoff teams would have been in.

I would still expect to see the Southern Miss v Troy State bowl game be played.

I actually think you'd just end up with more blowouts. Of the other 8 teams that could have made the postseason, who was staying on the field with the top four? You get one weekend of marginal games and an extra weeks of blowouts. Not exactly compelling.
Blowout games are without a doubt going to happen. 8 teams was a no brainer and even they would have created more lop sided losses.

TRuth of the matter us, even 4 team playoffs have bad games. That’s inevitable in sports.

TRuth of the matter us, even 4 team playoffs have bad games. That’s inevitable in sports.

We are just one year removed from an NFL playoffs with the following margins of victory from the quarterfinals on:

5, 17, 16, 20, 17, 11 and 11. One of those things is not like the others, one of those things just doesn't belong.

But then again, I think something like only eleventy-two billion people watched the Super Bowl, so...

Does this mean Notre Dame cannot get a bye?
It would essentially force their hand to join the ACC for football. That would be good for us.

I’ve never been more excited for 12 teams to actually happen. I already watch every single bowl game over the holidays when I have nothing else on.

I read people debating matchups and yelling too many games already. Watching the Bahama bowl in the background of the work day is 20x better than listening to Cowherd or anything else.

I’m sure as hell gonna clear my schedule to for games like Cincy vs Georgia or Florida vs Indiana at a home venue and watching. I won’t be the only one it’ll be me an a minimum of 12 million others.

5 conf Champs, 3 at large, that's enough
I agree 100% with this. A 12 team playoff will only benefit the SEC, and B10 and to a lesser extent ND. ND will always get in unless they're 8-4 or worse, the SEC and B10 will now send 3 or 4 teams, because the committee would definitely pick say a 9-3 Auburn over a 11-1 Cincy/ SMU/ Houston/etc. G5 will maybe get to send 1 as a token pick.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I agree 100% with this. A 12 team playoff will only benefit the SEC, and B10 and to a lesser extent ND. ND will always get in unless they're 8-4 or worse, the SEC and B10 will now send 3 or 4 teams, because the committee would definitely pick say a 9-3 Auburn over a 11-1 Cincy/ SMU/ Houston/etc. G5 will maybe get to send 1 as a token pick.
Hard to argue with this. What if the at large were selected to a multi criteria process similar to the way BCS teams were seated. I really don’t like the top dead’s getting a by

More access better all around but selection committee still controls everything. The six conf champs out of 10 gives more hope for some I guess.

I like that it’s 12 teams because it’s the biggest middle finger to those that hysterically laughed at the notion that CFP would expand beyond 8.

As long as college football traditionalists are very opposed and upset with this proposal, then I’m very pleased.

These are the same sorts of people that want college football to matter to 4-5 teams on Dec 2.

It would essentially force their hand to join the ACC for football. That would be good for us.
I think the opposite. Their ad straight up said because they don't have to play a conference championship game they are fine not getting a bye.

On another note, conferences would be smart getting rid of divisions as a next step. Essentially then the p5 will have as close to an autobid as possible.

Reactions: TerryD44
I was listening to Danny Kanell on Mad Dog yesterday and the clip they played said that the top 4 seeds (the ones with the byes) will all be conference champions. So while I agree that Notre Dame will likely always be one of the top 12, they can never be in the top 4. To me that makes it very hard for ND to be on a path to a national title.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It’s crazy that anybody can watch the playoffs and think what we need are more teams.

The gap between the best team and the next three best teams is so large every year. And now we’re throwing 8 teams of significantly less quality into that?

It’s crazy that anybody can watch the playoffs and think what we need are more teams.

The gap between the best team and the next three best teams is so large every year. And now we’re throwing 8 teams of significantly less quality into that?
It's not crazy if you look at the ratings, which have been going down. Probably because the same teams are in it year after year. Crazy is thinking that maintaining the status quo is going to result in the ratings turning around.

Your second paragraph is entirely correct but really the only option to try and reverse the ratings and ensure a larger TV contract next time around ( coming up for renewal in two years, I believe).

There will be a lot of pregame hype, but people are clueless if they think a #12 seed is going to beat a team like Alabama. There will be a lot of blowouts. The massive gap in talent and coaching will still exist.

Same goes for the BB tournament. 16, 15, and 14 seeds are usually blown out, but sometimes they catch lightning in a bottle.

I like a 16 team playoff as it will generate a lot of interest. I could live with 8, but 12 is just stupid. Don't like the byes, make them play.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Same goes for the BB tournament. 16, 15, and 14 seeds are usually blown out, but sometimes they catch lightning in a bottle.

I like a 16 team playoff as it will generate a lot of interest. I could live with 8, but 12 is just stupid. Don't like the byes, make them play.
I’m with you. 16 teams has been my hope, and no team should get a bye.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
If ND is really good, its best seed can only be a 5 due to not playing in a conference championship game. The SEC is going to try even harder to get at least four teams in the playoff. I wonder if Pitt's administration will be content not ever making the playoff and collecting an even larger check?

If ND is really good, its best seed can only be a 5 due to not playing in a conference championship game. The SEC is going to try even harder to get at least four teams in the playoff. I wonder if Pitt's administration will be content not ever making the playoff and collecting an even larger check?

Why would they be content in never making the playoffs? I think the money they are putting into the football program is indicative that they actually care and are trying. The issue with Pitt is that if they make a mistake, they are f'd because they don't have the deep pockets some of the larger schools have.

I guess I don't understand your comment.

i feel like so many fans on this site look for any and every reason why ND will have to join the ACC (Or big east back in the day) and so many pitt fans reach bigtime on these reasons. i've read sooo many times how any change will "force" ND to join a conference or they'll be left out.

I read it with the playoffs and BCS and conference expansion and any new tv deal, every time some pitt fan reacts with, "this will force ND to join" and it never does.. this is just the latest example and guess what will happen with ND? They'll be independent.

I do like 12 because I am a fan of teams having the ability to earn a bye week. I really missed that with the NFL playoffs last season.

You also have potential for better matchups as the first weekend of games will be more balanced and you have the winners advancing to play the top 4, which are typically significantly better teams than the field.

I am pretty disappointed they’re so stuck in the bowl system at this point. While I enjoy watching those games, it serves no purpose for the playoffs. If you want to keep them as exhibition games for non-playoff teams, sure. But to have the first weekend of games in home stadiums then shift to bowl games makes no sense. Play each round at home stadiums and then have the neutral site for the championship game.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

Yes but that is a shortsighted view. You start opening up and the talent will start spreading out. The 4 team model is just funneling the top players to about 6-7 teams. Everyone else is fighting for scraps.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I think the opposite. Their ad straight up said because they don't have to play a conference championship game they are fine not getting a bye.

On another note, conferences would be smart getting rid of divisions as a next step. Essentially then the p5 will have as close to an autobid as possible.
Yep, their “bye” week is conference championship weekend and they have an easier path to the playoff without having to play in a championship game. If ND wins 9 games or more they’ll be in, if they were in the ACC and went 9-3 a loss in the conference championship game would eliminate them from the playoff, as an independent if they go 9-3 they'll be in and if they win 10 games or more are pretty much guaranteed a home game in the first round.

Basketball and Football are two completely different animals. There is a lot more parity in basketball. A small school like Gonzaga can become a powerhouse in college basketball. There is no chance for a small school outside the P5 to become a powerhouse in football. Small schools simply don’t have the $ to keep up with the elite programs. Teams will also need quality depth to advance in the college playoffs. Football takes more of a toll on the body. You will not see any Cinderella’s in the title game of a 12-team college football playoff.

Reactions: cashisking884
Basketball and Football are two completely different animals. There is a lot more parity in basketball. A small school like Gonzaga can become a powerhouse in college basketball. There is no chance for a small school outside the P5 to become a powerhouse in football. Small schools simply don’t have the $ to keep up with the elite programs. Teams will also need quality depth to advance in the college playoffs. Football takes more of a toll on the body. You will not see any Cinderella’s in the title game of a 12-team college football playoff.

Yep. Basketball and hockey are the two team sports where one player can make such a difference that you can have Cinderellas in them.

Football is so far removed from that. Forget winning. These games aren’t even going to be competitive.

It's not crazy if you look at the ratings, which have been going down. Probably because the same teams are in it year after year. Crazy is thinking that maintaining the status quo is going to result in the ratings turning around.

Your second paragraph is entirely correct but really the only option to try and reverse the ratings and ensure a larger TV contract next time around ( coming up for renewal in two years, I believe).

There’s really no evidence that the issue is the same teams over and over again.

The biggest issue arguably is there are a few teams that dominate. And so the games aren’t competitive. This does nothing to solve that.

A few posters have deluded themselves that 10 years from now this will change the recruiting landscape, thereby making it more competitive. But even that argument touches on the main issue: most teams suck relative to the best teams.

I miss no playoff and just regular bowls. Liked switching between games to see who was likely to be the champion.

Actually....even schools like Pitt and Syracuse don't have the resources set up to compete with the Alabama's and Ohio State's. Most now urban schools also won't, just because the revenue is not there to be had if they share a fanbase with an NFL franchise.

Yeah, those two powerhouses with huge fan bases really get the juices flowing and make the TV people wet their pants. But you hate college football.
People watch bowl exhibition games. And you think they'll skip an actual playoff game that counts?

While you are right on this, I wonder if the unintended consequences will be that it makes it harder for them to schedule. More teams may be even more loss adverse, meaning less likely to schedule tougher out of conference games, including ND, since losses tend to kill you in rankings in football with little way to make up for a loss, especially late in the season. If you are fighting for a top 12 ranking, you are less likely to want to schedule ND out of conference than, say, Rice.

Actually....even schools like Pitt and Syracuse don't have the resources set up to compete with the Alabama's and Ohio State's. Most now urban schools also won't, just because the revenue is not there to be had if they share a fanbase with an NFL franchise.
Correct - you are supporting the posters like myself that are saying this expansion will do nothing but create more blowouts. The same powerhouses will continue playing in the finals.

I do like 12 because I am a fan of teams having the ability to earn a bye week. I really missed that with the NFL playoffs last season.

You also have potential for better matchups as the first weekend of games will be more balanced and you have the winners advancing to play the top 4, which are typically significantly better teams than the field.

I am pretty disappointed they’re so stuck in the bowl system at this point. While I enjoy watching those games, it serves no purpose for the playoffs. If you want to keep them as exhibition games for non-playoff teams, sure. But to have the first weekend of games in home stadiums then shift to bowl games makes no sense. Play each round at home stadiums and then have the neutral site for the championship game.
i like that a lot. first and second rounds at home field then neutral NC game. absolutely.

Reactions: Burgh15
Correct - you are supporting the posters like myself that are saying this expansion will do nothing but create more blowouts. The same powerhouses will continue playing in the finals.
you have blowouts now with 4 teams. you will have lopsided games/scores in sports no matter what. you arent getting away from this. we've seen lopsided NC games between the best two programs, lopsided super bowls from teams that have earned their place in the game with a grueling playoff format. we've seen lopsided Stanley cup series, it's something you will always have.

i like that a lot. first and second rounds at home field then neutral NC game. absolutely.

Getting a home game would be huge, especially if you play in the north and get matched against a southern team. They're rewarding the teams ranked 5-8 and not giving the teams at the top the same benefit for earning a bye.

I also wonder how long conference championship games will last under this model. Seems more likely a team or conference could lose a high seed as opposed to gain one. On this note, the Notre Dame situation is interesting. I see the benefit of wanting a first-round home game, but only having to win two games rather than three to make the title game is an advantage and a team that wants to contend for a championship should want that. I suppose if you're afraid of losing to Clemson every year in the ACC Championship game it doesn't make much of a difference.

Of course they're different, that's not the point. The point is that upsets happen and make things interesting. I'm not talking about becoming a powerhouse program. I'm talking about winning a game, or even making it competitive.

There is absolutely zero chance that teams 1-4 blowout teams 13-16 every year. FCS football teams beat FBS football teams. Unranked FBS teams beat top 5 teams. It happens in football all the time.

This is precisely why they're trying to protect teams 1-4 with a bye. It's dumb, make them play a game rather than using some stupid ranking system to decide who gets the easier path.

Yep. Basketball and hockey are the two team sports where one player can make such a difference that you can have Cinderellas in them.

Football is so far removed from that. Forget winning. These games aren’t even going to be competitive.

Because teams ranked in the top 5 never lose? BB Cinderella is actually harder because of the greater disparity between teams.

Matchup from last year, based on final CFP rankings:

1 Bama vs 16 BYU
2 Clemson vs 15 Iowa
3 OSU vs 14 Northwestern
4 ND vs 13 UNC

That's a lot different than UMBC upsetting Virginia or Oral Robert vs OSU.

There was ONE NFL post season game that was a one score (5pts) or less. All of the other results were 11 points or more. Sometimes parity is parody. Sometimes it works. But it is time to expand the 4 team system. The bowl system is already suffering enough, so if this means more meaningful post season games, isn't that good?? I don't get the objection.

Yeah, this is simply going to make it that much more UNLIKELY that Notre Dame joins a conference. They don't need it to make the playoffs, and that's a lot more important that occasionally getting a bye. And in those years they are that good, they will be guaranteed a home game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT