ADVERTISEMENT

1975 Tony Dorsett vs Notre Dame highlights

303 yds right?
It was indeed 303 yards. I believe this still stands as the single game rushing record against ND. I was at that game....it was one of the most unbelievable performances I've ever seen.

This game also prompted one of the funniest commentaries I ever heard from Myron Cope. I believe it was the Monday after the game and Cope gets on the radio and breathlessly announces a new development concerning TD's 303 yard performance. He says that the official stat keeper has reviewed the game tape and has ruled that Dorsett did not have over 300 yards. Then Cope pauses for about 15 seconds and then proceeds to tell the audience that "this announcement is a bunch of gorgonzola...of course TD posted 303 yards....but just think about all the Pitt fans who were just entering the Squirrel Hill or Liberty Tunnels....they didn't hear the second part so they're all going nuts trying to figure out what Cope said and what really happened. Myron definitely had a sense of humor.

Reactions: jtbuba
It was indeed 303 yards. I believe this still stands as the single game rushing record against ND. I was at that game....it was one of the most unbelievable performances I've ever seen.
I was at the game, too, and share your sentiments completely. A beautiful, sunny, November afternoon, and Tony just lit them up. Yes, it is still the single game rushing record against ND, 45 years later.

My greatest memory of that game was the play called “ICE”. TD caught a pass over the middle of the field when he was WIDE OPEN. How the hell ND let him get that open was unbelievable. I think he gained 20 yards on that play. Still remember seeing it from the Pitt Stadium end zone. What a great day.

Tony torched them so badly that the grass in South Bend next fall looked like the prairie that was there 100 year prior. Didn't help either! First carry he ran about 60 yards.

Don’t know if anyone on here is as old as I am (hope not),but Lee Majors(the six million dollar man) was stage named Majors because of his friendship with Johnny Majors family-If memory serves,Johnny’s dad was the high school coach for Johnny and Lee. Well,Lee was married to Farrah Fawcett during 1975,and they were at this game. I actually remember them walking up the steps at Pitt Stadium. Also-Penn State was idle that weekend and Paterno and his staff were there(and took a lot of ribbing). Great memories. PS- If you have never watched this video,do so to see Gordon Jones punt return.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT