ADVERTISEMENT

1st/2nd Round sites

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pitt has never played close to home unless it was a good seed (and sometimes not even then......Milwaukee as a 3 seed twice). Other lower seeds routinely get to play close. #10 WVU at PPG. #7 OSU last year at PPG. #7 Cincinnati in Columbus. Murray State was in Lexington a few years ago. I cant remember them all but it happens. So with the NCAA Tournament being in Columbus, it would be awfully nice to get placed there. And though I'd hate and 8/9 seed, Purdue will be the 1 in Columbus so I could see Pitt there in the 8/9 game. Greensboro also isnt a bad drive.

Sites by region of the country (not NCAAT regions)

East
Albany
Greensboro

South
Orlando
Birmingham

Midwest
Columbus
Des Moines

West
Denver
Sacramento

Reactions: GoldenPather5
Pitt has never played close to home unless it was a good seed (and sometimes not even then......Milwaukee as a 3 seed twice). Other lower seeds routinely get to play close. #10 WVU at PPG. #7 OSU last year at PPG. #7 Cincinnati in Columbus. Murray State was in Lexington a few years ago. I cant remember them all but it happens. So with the NCAA Tournament being in Columbus, it would be awfully nice to get placed there. And though I'd hate and 8/9 seed, Purdue will be the 1 in Columbus so I could see Pitt there in the 8/9 game. Greensboro also isnt a bad drive.

East
Albany
Greensboro

South
Orlando
Birmingham

Midwest
Columbus
Des Moines

West
Denver
Sacramento
I’d love Columbus, OH - proximity or Orlando, FL - weather and family in the area.

East
Albany
Greensboro

South
Orlando
Birmingham

Midwest
Columbus
Des Moines

West
Denver
Sacramento
Most teams don’t play close to home unless they are a top seed.

Reactions: Black Panther
Orlando is going to get a couple 4/13 & 5/12 matchups like they always do

Usually a fun subregion game to go and watch some chaos

Most teams don’t play close to home unless they are a top seed.

Correct but on occasion, teams do play close to home as lower seeds. Not sure anyone gets consistently shipped out as far as we do.

Boise
Denver
Salt Lake City
Orlando
Milwaukee

I'm not saying we SHOULD have been closer as lower seeds but we were shipped as far away as can be. Like, can we just catch 1 break and maybe end up in Columbus or Greensboro or Albany? It doesn't matter much but I'd like to drive there.

Our Civic Arena game doesn’t count as a “close“ game?

Lunardi has us as 9 vs MSU in Birmingham before Bama. It has been 13 years since they advanced to a sweet 16. If Capel makes that happen, it would be incredible. However, our perceived success overshadows how hard it is to even make it out of the first weekend (5 sweet 16s in the last 35 plus years). I am stoked that he got them back to the tourney (baring injuries it will happen), but even with higher seeds they have not made it past the first weekend. It will be exciting with this group of players who don’t back down. However, whereas those teams had more depth and defensive acumen, that helped in the regular season. But they always lacked an Elliot or Hinson who could go off from 3 like the lower seeds had that would take us down when points are needed in the tourney.

Last edited:
I said “most.” That one was nuts. But we overcame!! Best NCAA win in our program’s history. Not only did Wisconsin get to play in Milwaukee, they probably should have been a 4 seed that year.
And we should have been a 1 or 2

And we should have been a 1 or 2
Maybe, but I wonder if Pitt always peaked too soon regular season during the glory years. At the end of the day, it’s about tourney success. Would you trade Pitts glorious regular seasons for WVU or Villanova’s tourney success where they both finished with an elite eight, final four and two sweet 16s during that same time period, even though they didn’t have the regular season dominance of Pitt? In retrospect I would.

I said “most.” That one was nuts. But we overcame!! Best NCAA win in our program’s history. Not only did Wisconsin get to play in Milwaukee, they probably should have been a 4 seed that year.

And we should have been a 2. If I remember correctly, I think it the final pre-NCAAT poll, we were 5th and Wisconsin was 9th

And we should have been a 2. If I remember correctly, I think it the final pre-NCAAT poll, we were 5th and Wisconsin was 9th
We were 6th and the Badgers who finished the regular season 24-6 were 10th. They musta had a low NET ranking Lol.

One more thing - we finished that year 5th in Pomeroy rankings and Wisconsin was 6th!

One more thing - we finished that year 5th in Pomeroy rankings and Wisconsin was 6th!

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the best 3/6 matchup of all time, in terms of polls and computer ranking sites. Should have been a 2/3 matchup. The NCAA Tournament does some weird stuff. Watch 9 seed Creighton play 2 hours from home in Des Moines. That stuff happens to everyone but us

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT