ADVERTISEMENT

PPG Day 1 thoughts

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I'm always interested to see the fan turnout. Usually you only see 1 or 2 Duquesne fans here, honestly. But what I found unusual was for the 1st session, there were 25-30 Duquesne fans watching Creighton/Akron while their team played their 1st NCAAT game in 47 years. Like, I understand you probably bought these tickets long ago but is watching Creighton vs Akron that important that its worth missing Duquesne's NCAAT game? Made no sense to me.

Of the local schools, judging by what people were wearing, I would say the fan turnout (averaging the 2 sessions) were:

Pitt 750
Duquesne 100
Penn State 20
Duke 10
WVU 5
San Diego State 1
St. Peters 1
Flint Tropics 1
Savannah Bananas 1
Charros (Kenny Powers) 1

Really good Pitt turnout. Probably double what it was last time. In fact, Pitt was probably the #2 team represented. I'd say.

1. Kentucky (but not as big of a turnout as you'd think). 2000 maybe
2. Pitt
3. NC State
4. Creighton
5. Oakland
6. Akron (really disappointing turnout given proximity)
7. South Carolina
8. Texas Tech
9. Oregon

Oakland had a nice turnout. Felt like a neutral site game, not a UK home game as you might expect. Neutrals rooting for Oakland. NC State game felt like a home game. Pitt fans and neutrals rooting for NC St and DJB.

We discussed South Carolina on this board and I felt they were underseeded due to NET but you gotta give those predictive computers credit because they definitely were not very good. I still dont think we should be using Vegas to seed teams and should use accomplishments and not win/loss margin BUT it has to be said that they were right on South Carolina. Definitely not as good as we are. Oregon clearly better. So are we. Lamont Paris must be an unbelievable coach.

Just so much parity and I think that’s a doing of this mass redistribution of talent every year. No team is that good or that bad. Creighton is a 3 seed and I'd be pissed as hell if they beat us. I think they'd be a 3-4 point favorite but they are just Kalkbrenner and hope they make 3s that night.

I'm glad I wasn't behind Orlando Antigua and DJ Burns at the post-game buffet. Orlando is eating good down in Lexington. Speaking of assistant coaches, BballinsiderfromPitt posted a few times about texts with his buddy on the NC State staff. I saw a guy on their staff and I thought wow does he look famililar and after some googling, I figured out why. Good for him.

Surprisingly, tickets haven't come down in price for Saturday but that's about as bad of a doubleheader as you can have in terms of non-localish teams and non-brand name teams. So I'd expect to get a pretty good deal on tickets. The 1st session doubleheader was dirt cheap.

I'm always interested to see the fan turnout. Usually you only see 1 or 2 Duquesne fans here, honestly. But what I found unusual was for the 1st session, there were 25-30 Duquesne fans watching Creighton/Akron while their team played their 1st NCAAT game in 47 years. Like, I understand you probably bought these tickets long ago but is watching Creighton vs Akron that important that its worth missing Duquesne's NCAAT game? Made no sense to me.

Of the local schools, judging by what people were wearing, I would say the fan turnout (averaging the 2 sessions) were:

Pitt 750
Duquesne 100
Penn State 20
Duke 10
WVU 5
San Diego State 1
St. Peters 1
Flint Tropics 1
Savannah Bananas 1
Charros (Kenny Powers) 1

Really good Pitt turnout. Probably double what it was last time. In fact, Pitt was probably the #2 team represented. I'd say.

1. Kentucky (but not as big of a turnout as you'd think). 2000 maybe
2. Pitt
3. NC State
4. Creighton
5. Oakland
6. Akron (really disappointing turnout given proximity)
7. South Carolina
8. Texas Tech
9. Oregon

Oakland had a nice turnout. Felt like a neutral site game, not a UK home game as you might expect. Neutrals rooting for Oakland. NC State game felt like a home game. Pitt fans and neutrals rooting for NC St and DJB.

We discussed South Carolina on this board and I felt they were underseeded due to NET but you gotta give those predictive computers credit because they definitely were not very good. I still dont think we should be using Vegas to seed teams and should use accomplishments and not win/loss margin BUT it has to be said that they were right on South Carolina. Definitely not as good as we are. Oregon clearly better. So are we. Lamont Paris must be an unbelievable coach.

Just so much parity and I think that’s a doing of this mass redistribution of talent every year. No team is that good or that bad. Creighton is a 3 seed and I'd be pissed as hell if they beat us. I think they'd be a 3-4 point favorite but they are just Kalkbrenner and hope they make 3s that night.

I'm glad I wasn't behind Orlando Antigua and DJ Burns at the post-game buffet. Orlando is eating good down in Lexington. Speaking of assistant coaches, BballinsiderfromPitt posted a few times about texts with his buddy on the NC State staff. I saw a guy on their staff and I thought wow does he look famililar and after some googling, I figured out why. Good for him.

Surprisingly, tickets haven't come down in price for Saturday but that's about as bad of a doubleheader as you can have in terms of non-localish teams and non-brand name teams. So I'd expect to get a pretty good deal on tickets. The 1st session doubleheader was dirt cheap.
With all the scientific endeavors in the history of mankind it amazes me no one has come up with a device that could measure my absolute disinterest in this...

What people are wearing? hahaha

Kentucky has a defeated fan base. They no longer believe. They had a shit turnout last year in Greensboro for the K-State game by their standards.

With all the scientific endeavors in the history of mankind it amazes me no one has come up with a device that could measure my absolute disinterest in this...

What people are wearing? hahaha

And yet you were interested enough to read it and post

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT