ADVERTISEMENT

$20 Million Donation to Pitt Football

Absolutely, a $10m donation only equates to ~$450K per year. That's $450K a year for football, for perpetuity (and should increase to match inflation), but that doesn't turn Pitt football into a juggernaut. Consistent support still must come, as well as additional endowments.

Yeah, hopefully this will encourage other new large donors (obviously doesn't have to be this large) to donate on a regular basis. And I know football and to a lesser extent basketball feeds all athletics and obviously should be the focus. But I've seen more people talking about Pitt athletics overall, both just around the community and in the media due to the success of the other sports. Just keeps them in the spotlight throughout the year instead of just during football season.

A few of my neighbors said they didn't even know Pitt had these other teams and have taken their kids to a soccer, baseball or volleyball match, and now thier kids want them to take them to a football game or two this season. I know that won't move the needle all at once, but those other sports may have opened the door for these kids to support football and basketball as well.

But yeah, overall giving has to really increase if people want Pitt to compete the way they want on a regular basis. We are so far behind other P5 peers with regard to the giving. The admin is dumping money into the program, but we aren't seeing that return in giving. Evntually if that doesn't get better, the admin may do what past admins have done and wonder if the investment is worth it.

I'm talking about an unnecessary capital investment vs phantom scholarship cost. It doesnt cost Pitt $30K to have Izzy Abinakada sit in a classroom and have a TA check his tests. That might be what the Ath. Dept. pays the university but its a phantom cost.

I am not against endowing scholarships but my SMFN money isn't going towards scholarships. I want to see a stadium or an elite coach. Other than that, its going towards basketball, a sport where the barriers to winning at a high rate are much lower.
I still don't think you understand the concept of capital investment as opposed to paying for things like salaries or other operating costs. They don't go hand-in-hand and you're not sacrificing one for the other.

An "unnecessary" capital investment -- in business terms -- would be one where you're duplicating something that you already have and would also not facilitate any growth. In that regard, a football stadium would be completely unnecessary as opposed to replacing a multi-sport facility that is 70 years old and well beyond it's serviceable life when you're actively trying to grow the athletic department. Your ranting about it doesn't change the reality or the math. If the school found out tomorrow that the Steelers were going to build a stadium in Little Washington, it might change the thinking but playing in a stadium that is 4 miles away from where your old stadium sat isn't exactly the kind of inconvenience that is keeping anyone in Pitt's administration awake at night.

Wow. And a 1997 alumnus with that kind of money??? Need more young money in the program. This is great news and a huge W for Lyke. Maybe her biggest achievement at Pitt to date.

So.....if you had $20 million to give to Pitt football and had some say in how it was spent, what would you want it spent on?

For me, I'd tell them it had to be spent on an elite HC. Im not sure who that would be exactly because I think the only 2 elite ones are Saban and Swinney and you can't get them obviously.

Maybe I say I'll contribute $4 million/year for 5 years for Brian Kelly's salary. You come up with the rest. I'd assume it would take $10 million-$12 milion per year to get a guy like that to take the step down.

What I would NOT want it spent on is the following:

- locker room/weight room
- recording studios, barber shops, etc
- endowing scholarships
- life skills
- "analysts"

For me, it would either have to go to a HC or a stadium project.
buy-a-clue-lundberg.png

Another question. Consider it negative spin if you so desire. None of this money goes to the head coaching position, right? So why name that position after the donor when you could still solicit other large capacity donors for such a gift, i.e endowed head coaching position.

I'm talking about an unnecessary capital investment vs phantom scholarship cost. It doesnt cost Pitt $30K to have Izzy Abinakada sit in a classroom and have a TA check his tests. That might be what the Ath. Dept. pays the university but its a phantom cost.

I am not against endowing scholarships but my SMFN money isn't going towards scholarships. I want to see a stadium or an elite coach. Other than that, its going towards basketball, a sport where the barriers to winning at a high rate are much lower.
Please shut up. You embarass real Pitt fans.

Another question. Consider it negative spin if you so desire. None of this money goes to the head coaching position, right? So why name that position after the donor when you could still solicit other large capacity donors for such a gift, i.e endowed head coaching position.
Normally, such large gifts go to facilities or stadium constructions and in return, the donor gets their name attached to it as a way to recognize them for their contribution. Since it isn’t going to a physical building in this case, I’d imagine it’s a courtesy to recognize him for his contribution to the program.

Last edited:
Just read this in the Trib:

Today, Bickell is CEO of WellHive, a firm that connects military veterans with healthcare services. He describes himself as “a proud Pitt Man.”

“I believe the leadership is in place to take Pitt Athletics and our football program to the next level,” he said in a statement released by Pitt. “I hope my gift inspires others to do their part in making that happen.”

Bickell will meet with the team Thursday in advance of its first game at 4 p.m. Saturday against UMass at Heinz Field.

A 1997 alumnus donated an
incredible $20M to Pitt's
football program. I was
wondering if AD Lyke had
anything to do with this.
She has recently been
criticized on here for not
doing much in the area
of fundraising. The Victory
Heights project and lack
of donations was questioned.
Anyone have any info on
these developments?
I would have been more impressed if Tepper gave. He knows business and sports. Granted It’s a great donation. I like how pitt plans to use it. Now this alum witnessed four win seasons so seven win seasons look real good. I just think he’s a bit foolish now to be investing in this leadership team. But it’s a good day for Pitt football when someone steps up like this.

I would have been more impressed if Tepper gave. He knows business and sports. Granted It’s a great donation. I like how pitt plans to use it. Now this alum witnessed four win seasons so seven win seasons look real good. I just think he’s a bit foolish now to be investing in this leadership team. But it’s a good day for Pitt football when someone steps up like this.
Lol

Nothing to laugh at. There is a reason why a billionaire doesn’t give to pitt. Very simply, he has no confidence in this regime.
Maybe. Maybe not. But a hundreds millionaire does have confidence in this regime. Mere days after you were out here whining about how alums don’t support Lyke. Comical timing.

Nothing to laugh at. There is a reason why a billionaire doesn’t give to pitt. Very simply, he has no confidence in this regime.
That was a stupid post.

Tepper isn't giving gobs of money to Pitt because he views Carnegie Mellon as the school he wants to give gobs of money to. That is zero indictment of Pitt. He owns a football team that he can play with. He doesn't need to worry about whether or not Pitt is any good.

That was a stupid post.

Tepper isn't giving gobs of money to Pitt because he views Carnegie Mellon as the school he wants to give gobs of money to. That is zero indictment of Pitt. He owns a football team that he can play with. He doesn't need to worry about whether or not Pitt is any good.
He also owns a mls team. If he truly wanted to give to pitt, he would. But it’s a bad investment. He’s a pitt alumnus man. Seriously what are you taking about? You are just another one of those countless enablers and excuse makers.

He also owns a mls team. If he truly wanted to give to pitt, he would. But it’s a bad investment. He’s a pitt alumnus man. Seriously what are you taking about? You are just another one of those countless enablers and excuse makers.
Yeah, because it's not lazy at all to just complain that Pitt isn't an annual CFP type of program.

Yeah reasonable question, well answered by another poster already. Fwiw, my wife does development/large donation fund raising and it's pretty standard that families or wealthy individuals and institutions go back and forth sort of negotiating naming rights over things that may be a step removed. "OK so I can't get the Chair of the department named, but could you get me the Japanese garden?"

On the main point, I am glad to see an endowment focused on the training end of things. Coaching up players is both the core of how Pitt can win and obviously a nice recruiting factor.

I think the even better news is a guy like Bickell isnt done yet.

I mean, those of us that donate do so in an ongoing manner. I am quite sure Chris will have the ability to do much more going forward.

Not for nothing.....but 1.5 mill for a crackerjack recruiter.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He’s one rich man. Doesn’t mean he knows pitt sports. He’s free obviously to spend his coin as he pleases. But he will be disappointed. Unless his marker is seven win seasons. It’s a good day when fools donate. I have no problem with that. But if you think Narduzzi and heather are saviors, you are dead wrong. Narduzzi is a 8 win ceiling coach and heather will be bolting to Sparty in two weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
He’s one rich man. Doesn’t mean he knows pitt sports. He’s free obviously to spend his coin as he pleases. But he will be disappointed. Unless his marker is seven win seasons. It’s a good day when fools donate. I have no problem with that. But if you think Narduzzi and heather are saviors, you are dead wrong. Narduzzi is a 8 win ceiling coach and heather will be bolting to Sparty in two weeks.
So what now, off to kick some puppies?

Lol.

Reactions: pittjas
Pitt should be competing against IUP. If you think pitt will win more than seven this year, I want the drugs you are taking.
Truth is no one cares what you think. Go yell at some kids to get off your lawn.

Reactions: Ski11585
I'll say this... This is something that competency from the AD and consistency in the head coaching ranks can bring. Most people don't want to donate millions to a dumpster fire. And for those who think PN is going to be fired after a 6 or 7 win season, then you're mistaken.

Truth is no one cares what you think. Go yell at some kids to get off your lawn.
I’ve done that. It works. Reality. Pitt doesn’t care unless you are rich. And most rich folks don’t know sports like me. So Pitts donors the few there are love mediocrity because they don’t know any better. They may be good a running a business and selling it but they are aweful at making good sports decisions. Did this $20 million donor ever play sports. Coach sports. Watch sports. Pat Bostick deserves the credit with this one. And Barnes trained him to do this. Not heather. You yellow blouse false idol worshipers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT