ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Roster Now Up On Official Site

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
Here is the link--

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Points of interest--

(1) Consistent with official press release on the site-- N'Dir is on the roster.
(2) As expected Curtis Aiken Jr. is on the roster.
(3) Although a number of players are listed as "Guard/Forward" -- both Ellison and Toney are solely listed as "Guard".

Aiken, Jr. we understand to be a walk-on. Have to wonder, however, if he gets that remaining open 2018-19 ship since it doesn't appear we will add another grad transfer.

I think Starzynski is more likely to get that open scholly

Capel said he would not have a issue with leaving the last scholarship open.

That's exactly what he should be doing. Unless he promised Aiken that he'd give him the final scholie if he didn't fill it, which I sincerely hope he didn't, he should just hold onto it.

That's exactly what he should be doing. Unless he promised Aiken that he'd give him the final scholie if he didn't fill it, which I sincerely hope he didn't, he should just hold onto it.

Can he be given a scholarship for one year with the understanding that it isn't guaranteed beyond? Seems a little cruel but but not sure if its allowable.

Does Aiken get any tuition assistance given his dad's job? Maybe he doesnt need the scholarship?

Can he be given a scholarship for one year with the understanding that it isn't guaranteed beyond? Seems a little cruel but but not sure if its allowable.

Yes, this is possible. The replies here are dumb. We’ve had several walk-ons earn a token unused scholarship.

The only reason not to give it away is if Capel wants to try to get a mid-season transfer.

Yes, this is possible. The replies here are dumb. We’ve had several walk-ons earn a token unused scholarship.

The only reason not to give it away is if Capel wants to try to get a mid-season transfer.

Yes. Absolutely! No reason not to give it to someone for one year if it is open.

That is why I speculated about Aiken, Jr. He is rated a 3-star and 3-stars don't normally walk-on without a ship. My suspicion was that he gets to prove in practice he can contribute at this level with the opportunity to earn more than no ship or a 1-year ship if he proves he can be better than his HS low 3-star rating suggests. But, as I said, I am only speculating because I have no real info.

Yes. Absolutely! No reason not to give it to someone for one year if it is open.

That is why I speculated about Aiken, Jr. He is rated a 3-star and 3-stars don't normally walk-on without a ship. My suspicion was that he gets to prove in practice he can contribute at this level with the opportunity to earn more than no ship or a 1-year ship if he proves he can be better than his HS low 3-star rating suggests. But, as I said, I am only speculating because I have no real info.

I do not think he will get it. It makes far more sense to reward one of the other walk-ons who have stuck with a tumultuous program. That is potentially the pinnacle of their career. It will not go to Aiken, who very likely feels zero financial pressure to have a scholarship. As you say, he is a (very) borderline recruit who may eventually prove himself to be a legit scholarship earner. It would be somewhat a disservice to him to give him a token scholarship now without proving anything.

I still think they need another BIG, Kene, Brown, Peace and Samson won't cut it. Hopefully Brown will really step up.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I agree. I believe they would have brought in a grad transfer big if they had found one good enough to really provide immediate help.

Also, I believe they would have brought in a freshman big if they could have found one good enough to provide immediate help. Apparently they weren't able to find one good enough among the 2018 class leftovers. So, it would seem that, rather than bring someone in on a 4-year ship who would be a developmental big who wouldn't contribute in 2018-2019, they decided to keep a ship open for the class of 2019.

Perhaps they will yet find a 2018-2019 eligible big worth bringing on board; however, as it is now July 2, it does not seem likely at this point.

I forgot to mention a trivial observations--

Heights listed on the Official Athletic Site roster are different for our two incoming guards than on the Rivals commitment list.

Xavier Johnson is listed at 6-3 vs 6-1 and McGowens at 6-3 vs 6-4. Assuming they are on campus and have been measured that may mean Johnson is at least 6-2 and McGowens might really only be 6-3. Of course, this doesn't really matter as long as they have ACC-level playing skills.

I agree. I believe they would have brought in a grad transfer big if they had found one good enough to really provide immediate help.

Also, I believe they would have brought in a freshman big if they could have found one good enough to provide immediate help. Apparently they weren't able to find one good enough among the 2018 class leftovers. So, it would seem that, rather than bring someone in on a 4-year ship who would be a developmental big who wouldn't contribute in 2018-2019, they decided to keep a ship open for the class of 2019.

Perhaps they will yet find a 2018-2019 eligible big worth bringing on board; however, as it is now July 2, it does not seem likely at this point.

With respect to the 4--5 spots, I find it hard to believe that there is no one out there who can make a contribution to this team. Relying on significant improvement with the current gang of four is asking a lot.

The goal every year is win as many games as possible, especially this year after last years mess. Capel is supposed to be lights years ahead of the previous guy on the recruiting trail, so get out and find somebody who can help.

There are 12 scholarship players on Pitt's basketball roster, and coach Jeff Capel has one to give this year. But the scholarships aren't burning a hole in his pocket, and he promises to be judicious when and if he passes them out before the season.
“Maybe, if the right guy comes along,” he said of using of those promises of free education. “But we're not going to just give them.
“It would have to be someone we feel like is good enough to help us now. It would have to be somebody who can add value, help us now or help us down the road.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT