ADVERTISEMENT

2018 US Open

BuffetParrothead

Heisman Winner
Nov 22, 2015
Congratulations to Koepka for his 2nd US Open win in two years.
Other than Dustin Johnson, Koepka is Mrs Buffett's favorite player and other than Reed, and Johhson he's my favorite too!

The difficult conditions challenged the PGA professionals to their limits and it was fun to watch them struggle, find ways to survive, recover, or crash and burn!

One of the better PGA majors in years!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Poulter has replaced Sergio Garcia as the Euro that US golf fans love to hate!

Garcia has actually earned some respect in the US these days, after marrying a U of Texas ex golfer Angela Akins, daughter of legendary Marty Akins a former UT QB. He actually seems to be "Americanized " as he will be settling down in Texas.

Sergio has learned how to flash the UT sign and won't be the target of rubber chickens from this point but his replacement Poulter will be!

Poulter like most Euro's has no sense of humor unlike Euro golfer Andrew "Beef" Johnston who has a sense of humor and is a US crowd favorite!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
This was a true US open test. Brutal but everyone played the same course. Cabrera won at Oakmont in ‘07 with a +2.
The morning play and afternoon play was different but that's life on the PGA tour.
If it was easy we'd be doing it!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: wbrpanther
I think it's too bad Mick Fleetwood didn't win, because the USGA deserved to have the tournament won by someone who finished their round more than three hours before the last groups.

Worst us open in the history of the open. Hopefully they learn from this debacle going forward.

It was ok. Definitely a worthy winner. Back to back US Opens is impressive. And I believe Koepka is Dick Groats grandson or nephew or some relationship

But it wasn’t the worst but certainly not the best either.

It was ok. Definitely a worthy winner. Back to back US Opens is impressive. And I believe Koepka is Dick Groats grandson or nephew or some relationship

When the champion wins with a bogey on 18, it’s usually not a great spectator tournament.

Reactions: Swervin27
When the champion wins with a bogey on 18, it’s usually not a great spectator tournament.

Actually, that happens quite alot. In many cases, the leader holds a 2 stroke lead or better, so he plays the hole for par-bogey instead of birdie-par and take unnecessary risks.

Learn what? Cut the rough down to 2 inches? Flatten out the greens? Soak the course down so the ball sticks?

The US Open is supposed to be won at around even par. Not -20.

The only thing I really didn't like, okay the two things I really didn't like is:
a) The tale of two courses. Especially Saturday. Morning tee times vs afternoon tee times were like night and day. The first 2 days that is mitigated somewhat because morning tee times on Thursday are afternoon tee times on Friday and vice versa. But that is true of many courses and weather.

b) What I really didn't like is the greens and that poa that bloomed and cause this bumpy and not that true of rolls on putts.

But it was not like 2005, when great shots were not rewarded because the greens weren't holding anything. That was unfair.

Other than Dustin Johnson, Koepka is Mrs Buffett's favorite player and other than Reed, and Johhson he's my favorite too!

The difficult conditions challenged the PGA professionals to their limits and it was fun to watch them struggle, find ways to survive, recover, or crash and burn!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
is it just me or were there an inordinate amount of post swing yelling knuckleheads up there or was it just FoxSports with a loose mic? I was at the third round at Oakmont two years ago and I do not recall anything half as bad but did I spent most of my time near greens or on the fairways.. I have to admit (being a knucklehead myself) that I did enjoy a few. The US Open always reminded me of the caddie tournament at Bushwood of the four Majors..

is it just me or were there an inordinate amount of post swing yelling knuckleheads up there or was it just FoxSports with a loose mic? I was at the third round at Oakmont two years ago and I do not recall anything half as bad but I spent most of my time near greens on on the fairways.. I have to admit (being a knucklehead myself) that I did enjoy a few.

I love the US Open from the New York area (Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Bethpage Black) but yeah, the crowds at those venues are much more rowdy than the crowds at the other US Open sites like Oakmont, Pebble, Torrey Pines, etc...

And as far as Fox, did anyone else keep on getting sound for like a millasecond or a second would go off, constantly? I was wondering if Fox was shutting down the mic because of profanity constantly being yelled? Anyone else notice this? I mean it was noticeable enough that it became bothersome. At first I thought it was my TV

Koepka's mother is Denise Jackowz who was a news anchor on WJAC in Johnstown back in the early 80s. She interviewed me for a segment once, my Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame.

is it just me or were there an inordinate amount of post swing yelling knuckleheads up there or was it just FoxSports with a loose mic? I was at the third round at Oakmont two years ago and I do not recall anything half as bad but did I spent most of my time near greens or on the fairways.. I have to admit (being a knucklehead myself) that I did enjoy a few. The US Open always reminded me of the caddie tournament at Bushwood of the four Majors..
It wasn't just you. It was a loud, boisterous and probably drunk crowd with quite a few morons in attendance. Really, after 30 years is it too much to ask for idiots to stop yelling "get in the hole" every time a player hits the ball.

Koepka's mother is Denise Jackowz who was a news anchor on WJAC in Johnstown back in the early 80s. She interviewed me for a segment once, my Andy Warhol 15 minutes of fame.
his brother Chase blew the lead after the 3rd round of the 2015 Sunnehanna Am (a amateur gem that I'm guessing few outside of our haunts have ever heard of but is loaded with future PGA talent.).

his brother Chase blew the lead after the 3rd round of the 2015 Sunnehanna Am (a amateur gem that I'm guessing few outside of our haunts have ever heard of but is loaded with future PGA talent.).

Oh certainly have heard of that event. Legendary.

ya, forget those 71 other holes.....
There was a lot of great golf as there always is in the majors, but no late Sunday drama. On the few occasions Koepka made a mistake, nobody made a shot or a putt to press him. The runner up was in the clubhouse 3 hours before the tournament ended. I’ll let you publish the list of the great majors that didn’t come down to the last hole or playoff.

Last edited:
I love the US Open from the New York area (Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Bethpage Black) but yeah, the crowds at those venues are much more rowdy than the crowds at the other US Open sites like Oakmont, Pebble, Torrey Pines, etc...

And as far as Fox, did anyone else keep on getting sound for like a millasecond or a second would go off, constantly? I was wondering if Fox was shutting down the mic because of profanity constantly being yelled? Anyone else notice this? I mean it was noticeable enough that it became bothersome. At first I thought it was my TV

I didn't notice but thank you for the info. We watch parts/all of almost all PGA tournaments on and off Thurs- Sunday.

Mrs Buffett and I are avid golfers but we worry about the sport continuing at the local club and public course level. The cost of golf has increased in our area and the time to complete 18 holes has also increased as courses need the play and aren't monitoring or speeding up slow players.
The PGA is encouraging nine hole play but the cost of nine x's two is typically more than playing 18 holes. Plus courses in our area won't allow nine hole play until after 1 pm and after 4 pm on weekends.

We play 3 times a week sometimes 4, 2 days a week at the beach leaving one day to work around the house.

When we golf we notice the golfing crowd in our area is a 50 + crowd. We rarely notice young people golfing. Both our kids play who are in their early 30's but their friends who used to golf don't play much anymore so they don't get out much.

Due to the declining play alot of courses in our area are selling to developers.

Golf needs to change to get the general public back in the game.

One of the most popular general public PGA events is the Waste Management TPC Event of Scottsdale Arizona where the fans are really loud rowdy. They have alot of stadium set-ups with the par 3 # 16 set up like gladiators entering the coliseum being greeted by a screaming intoxicated crowd. Golfers hit their shots as the crowd yells and screams.
Many European players skip the event since they can't adjust to the atmosphere per Nick Faldo.

I believe more events like the TPC of Arizona and crowd friendly events like this US Open, Bethpage, Winged Foot, Oakmont, etc will help boost the popularity of golf.

People want to attend sports events, party, and have some fun!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
There was a lot of great golf as there always is in the majors, but no late Sunday drama. On the few occasions Koepka made a mistake, nobody made a shot or a putt to press him. The runner up was in the clubhouse 3 hours before the tournament ended. I’ll let you publish the list of the great majors that didn’t come down to the last hole or playoff.

If DJ would have made a couple of putts, the battle in that group with him and Koepka could have been epic and memorable.

You don't think a leader only 1 up with 3 holes to go isn't dramatic in a major? :confused: I understand Fleetwood was already in the Clubhouse, but Koepka could have folded at any moment. It happens.

I would point to the majors where the leader is up more than 5 as having "no drama". There was plenty yesterday.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I didn't notice but thank you for the info. We watch parts/all of almost all PGA tournaments on and off Thurs- Sunday.

Mrs Buffett and I are avid golfers but we worry about the sport continuing at the local club and public course level. The cost of golf has increased in our area and the time to complete 18 holes has also increased as courses need the play and aren't monitoring or speeding up slow players.
The PGA is encouraging nine hole play but the cost of nine x's two is typically more than playing 18 holes. Plus courses in our area won't allow nine hole play until after 1 pm and after 4 pm on weekends.

We play 3 times a week sometimes 4, 2 days a week at the beach leaving one day to work around the house.

When we golf we notice the golfing crowd in our area is a 50 + crowd. We rarely notice young people golfing. Both our kids play who are in their early 30's but their friends who used to golf don't play much anymore so they don't get out much.

Due to the declining play alot of courses in our area are selling to developers.

Golf needs to change to get the general public back in the game.

One of the most popular general public PGA events is the Waste Management TPC Event of Scottsdale Arizona where the fans are really loud rowdy. They have alot of stadium set-ups with the par 3 # 16 set up like gladiators entering the coliseum being greeted by a screaming intoxicated crowd. Golfers hit their shots as the crowd yells and screams.
Many European players skip the event since they can't adjust to the atmosphere per Nick Faldo.

I believe more events like the TPC of Arizona and crowd friendly events like this US Open, Bethpage, Winged Foot, Oakmont, etc will help boost the popularity of golf.

People want to attend sports events, party, and have some fun!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Oh yeah, it is a dead sport to millenials. I guess they have more important things to do with their phones, or ipads, or other electronic devices to keep them "connected" to the world. But yeah, golf is dying. When Tiger came along it opened it up to interest from many different socio-economic groups. But what has happened in our social media world...our "connected" world, I mean I am in sales, I never golf. Customers don't want to or take the time. Even though now more than at any time in our history, one does not need to actually be at defined "office" or desk to do their job. But no one has time. Plus parents now have to participate in every one of little Billy's little league practices or little Susie's 10 year old cheer practice, where before the kid would ride a bike to practice with his friends then come home, the parents did their thing.

Anyways....yeah. It is really dying as far as a participation sport. I think again it is becoming more between the haves and have nots after seemingly starting to close the gap. But the sport is in trouble for sure.

There was plenty of drama in that Open.

Most of the time there were 5 players who could have won up until the last few holes when it came down to two players Koepka and Fleetwood with Koepka winning with a one stroke margin.

Had Koepka's second shot bounced in a different direction it probably would have resulted in a play-off.

Reed, Johnson, Finau, Fleetwood, Koepka, and a few other had chance to go on a two hole run and win or force a playoff.

One of the best majors I've watched in a while!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Oh yeah, it is a dead sport to millenials. I guess they have more important things to do with their phones, or ipads, or other electronic devices to keep them "connected" to the world. But yeah, golf is dying. When Tiger came along it opened it up to interest from many different socio-economic groups. But what has happened in our social media world...our "connected" world, I mean I am in sales, I never golf. Customers don't want to or take the time. Even though now more than at any time in our history, one does not need to actually be at defined "office" or desk to do their job. But no one has time. Plus parents now have to participate in every one of little Billy's little league practices or little Susie's 10 year old cheer practice, where before the kid would ride a bike to practice with his friends then come home, the parents did their thing.

Anyways....yeah. It is really dying as far as a participation sport. I think again it is becoming more between the haves and have nots after seemingly starting to close the gap. But the sport is in trouble for sure.
probably outside of the millennial range but don't lump my 20 year old in that group...he's got the bug and loves playing and watching the game a lot..I mean a lot..decent enough high school hoops player and one who loves that game but if it came down to a choosing between game 7 of the NBA finals and the 4th round of a major, he is watching the golf...

the only thing he uses his phone for is texting me updates and some of the stupid stuff the analysts say....doozy from Saturday, I think it was Azinger, "If you can hit it into the wind its like throwing a rabbit into a brier patch" WTF?

Last edited:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but just using my kids (millennials) as an example, they and their friends love playing golf.

(Edit: So technically our youngest isn't a "millennial", but close enough.)

Last edited:
If DJ would have made a couple of putts, the battle in that group with him and Koepka could have been epic and memorable.

His putting on Saturday was epically bad. Had it just been decent he’d have still had a pretty good cushion. And you’re correct - it was bad Sunday as well. Thursday and Friday he was lights out then it was gone.

Public golf courses have to come up with innovative ideas to attract players like low cost nine holes at any time of day.

We read of a course that has a four hole loop which begins and ends at the clubhouse so they sell a four hole pass which has been a huge success. The starter is there anyway and he checks tickets as the go by.

Mixed golf leagues are becoming more popular during the day and after work.

More importantly golf courses have to be affordable. Most aren't because they not run by business people they're run by golf pros.

We have two very nice courses owned by two local towns in our area.

They're operated by municpal uniion workers and golf pros who are running the courses into the ground.

Being a finance guy I put some time in and made a presentation at both town supervior meeting.

My points were:
You have to benchmark your costs and pricing against successful local privately owned courses. These two courses have the highest comp costs and greens fees in the area.

For example you can't have a union guy with benefits selling hotdogs, raking traps, working as a ranger or starter. Most of those guys at private courses work for little money and free play.

Golf courses are fixed cost enterprises. You're not going to change your manning if you have 10 golfers or 1,000 each day.
You have the same maintenance crew everyday, someone at the cash register, someone in the pro shop, same for the bar and restaurant if one exists, etc.

They don't monitor slow play anymore because they want golfers so 18 holes takes close to 4.5 hours sometimes 5.0.

Mrs Buffett and I play on similar public courses and play 18 in 3.5 hours max. This course tracks its players and keeps thing moving.

To cover their high operating costs they set high greens fees thinking this will fix things and all that does if force players to go to other places.

If they want to survive they have to make their product appealing at a reasonable cost.
Mixed leauges
Play golf + lunch specials
Play evening golf ( 9 holes) + dinner ( a course near us is trying this and it's working)
Group lessons + a round of golf
Leagues during the day where you just show up and they pair you up to play
Group youth lessons
Group adult lessons
Group senior lessons

Signed: Mr. Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but just using my kids (millennials) as an example, they and their friends love playing golf.

(Edit: So technically our youngest isn't a "millennial", but close enough.)

That's great.......but as I drove past my neighbor last Friday AM and it was gorgeous, he was loading his clubs, waiting for buddies. He is 49-50. My age. My generation. The young people in the neighborhood never see golf clubs around.

Learn what? Cut the rough down to 2 inches? Flatten out the greens? Soak the course down so the ball sticks?

The US Open is supposed to be won at around even par. Not -20.
Why? It's the same for everyone easy or hard, I'd argue if it's too hard then luck becomes too big of a factor.

There was plenty of drama in that Open.

Most of the time there were 5 players who could have won up until the last few holes when it came down to two players Koepka and Fleetwood with Koepka winning with a one stroke margin.

Had Koepka's second shot bounced in a different direction it probably would have resulted in a play-off.

Reed, Johnson, Finau, Fleetwood, Koepka, and a few other had chance to go on a two hole run and win or force a playoff.

One of the best majors I've watched in a while!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Yup Not many tourneys where there were that many guys in legitimate contention until the last hole or two. Credit to Keopka who made some huge saves for par and bogey to retain the lead. If you didnt enjoy that, you really are not a golf fan.

As far as DJ goes, tee to green few can compete with him....But as the saying goes drive for show and put for dough. Just like last US open he couldnt make a putt to save his life. If DJ ever gets his putter in line with he overall play, he'll win a ton of majors. Until then lots of close but no cigar finishes.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
I was rooting for a Johnson/Koepka playoff that would go about three holes or so such that a cat fight might break out in the gallery between their significant others...I wanting that is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

I was rooting for a Johnson/Koepka playoff that would go about three holes or so such that a cat fight might break out in the gallery between their significant others...I wanting that is wrong, I don't wanna be right...
When Dustin Johnson won one tourney a few years back Paulina wore a skin tight short /short/short white one piece dress, seemed a bit tipsy (which is fine with us), she was hootin and hollering, Dustin is taller than her so she had to stretch up to kiss and hug him her money man, and as Mrs Buffett said not much of a secret as to whats under the dress on national TV.
Paulina Gretzky is a great one ( wild child) and a perfect match for Dustin Johnson.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Why? It's the same for everyone easy or hard, I'd argue if it's too hard then luck becomes too big of a factor.
Should Wimbledon change their grass to make it easier? Should the French Open alter their clay to make it easier? This is the US Open and it is historically supposed to be very, very hard. They watered the greens Saturday night which helped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT