ADVERTISEMENT

2018 US Open

The weird thing about golf as a sport is they don't seem to limit technology, other sports they use the same size balls, bats, sticks etc. Why doesn't everyone use the same balls? Golf they invent new clubs and balls that send the ball 500 yards. Go back to real wooden clubs then and then Augusta and everywhere else won't be obsolete.
Great question! That is the best damn and most insightful post in your 14,000+ history. Except for the length of the club (as with a baseball bat) adjusted for height etc. all things equal.

The weird thing about golf as a sport is they don't seem to limit technology, other sports they use the same size balls, bats, sticks etc. Why doesn't everyone use the same balls? Golf they invent new clubs and balls that send the ball 500 yards. Go back to real wooden clubs then and then Augusta and everywhere else won't be obsolete.
They say Bobby Jones could hit a wooden driver 300 yds.
A wooden shafted driver that is....

The drivers and woods sb woods....plus they are better looking and that sound....never duplicated

Golf courses of the future need to undergo radical changes....and adjusting to 450 yd drives / 200 yd 9 irons is not part of the design needed...

Great question! That is the best damn and most insightful post in your 14,000+ history. Except for the length of the club (as with a baseball bat) adjusted for height etc. all things equal.
Even in college baseball, aren't they doing something to limit how far an aluminum bat can launch the ball? Because it has gotten to the point that the bats are too good and some power hitters aren't power hitters when forced to use wooden bats. How about do something so that golf clubs or balls are deadened to a degree for at least pro competitions so that the courses aren't obsolete? If 300 yards was tough for a pro to reach, that would fix the courses wouldn't it?

Yeah I like Bethpage, for a public course, that is a great track. I like Whistling Straits also. I didn't like Chambers Bay or Erin Hills though. And they bombed themselves out of Congressional. They are overpowering alot of these courses, including Augusta

I don't think we'll see a U.S. Open at Whistling Straits. They've aligned themselves with the PGA of America to get PGA Championships and Ryder Cups. Some courses, like Oakmont, have held both US Opens and PGA Championships in the past, but I think the USGA now looks down upon that.

Reactions: paulbl99

Too much money is made in the golf equipment industry to put limits on technology. And the equipment companies have a lot more money than the USGA to fight lawsuits over it. Maybe Augusta National will do something about it for the Masters, because the Masters is an Invitational. They can say use what we say or you don't play in our tournament.

Too much money is made in the golf equipment industry to put limits on technology. And the equipment companies have a lot more money than the USGA to fight lawsuits over it. Maybe Augusta National will do something about it for the Masters, because the Masters is an Invitational. They can say use what we say or you don't play in our tournament.

You can make and sell clubs that kill it for amateurs to buy to go out and screw around like I did for 25 years, just restrict what pros can use in competition. And in the end it didn't matter, if had been dumb enough to pay $500 for some kick ass driver, I'd still have a hard time hitting a straight ball 250 yards. So I stuck to $34.99 drivers from Play it Again Sports.

Last edited:

Equipment Endor$ment$ Never will happen

Equipment Endor$ment$ Never will happen
Like you said It WIll Never Happen!
They have them up to $ 499 now and they'll keep rolling them out, with increasing prices until players stop buying them.

My brother is an 7or 8 handicap wins his club championship alot and he and his golf buddies pre order the newest clubs irons and drivers and actually pay a premium to be the first to have the clubs!

It's similar to iphones! Bigger, longer, more foregiving, more accurate, etc!
The Most Expensive Golf Drivers
by Golf Pros

most-expensive-drivers.jpg

One of the most exciting parts of golf is blasting a drive right down the middle of the fairway. Thanks to the new technology that is coming into the game, there are a wealth of drivers available for you to choose from and try and make your drives the best they can be. The downside, of course, is that technology is expensive. The drivers on this list are excellent clubs that can add real improvement to your game, and they are also some of the most expensive golf drivers on the market today. Despite the price tag, you just might decide that one of these clubs needs to find a home in your bag.

The Cost of Power – Most Expensive Golf Drivers
Titleist 910D2
Titleist is known for a couple things in the golf world – making some of the best clubs on the market, and making some of the most expensive clubs on the market. The 910D2 driver is no different, as it has been used extensively on Tour because of its classic design yet progressive abilities. If you want to combine traditional looks and adjustable technology, the 910D2 is a great choice.

TaylorMade R1
Billed as the most adjustable driver of all-time, the TaylorMade R1 is a combination of all of the different technologies TaylorMade has been cultivating over the years. You can pull the shaft in and out, adjust the ball flight, loft, lie, and just about anything else. There is no need to custom order an R1, because you can do all of the customizing once it is in your possession.

PING G25
The jet-black G25 looks more spaceship than golf club, but it has the technology under the hood to perform like a $400 club should. The G25 is PING’s first foray into the adjustable driver game, but the club holds true to PING tradition with a profile that will be familiar to brand loyalists. An array of shafts are available to make sure your investment is justified with great performance on the course.

Nike Covert VR S
Marketed as a ‘cavity back’ driver, the Covert VR S has a hefty price tag but is accumulating the accolades to match. According to Nike, the design of the Covert provides more forgiveness than does a normal driver, while still delivering on the distance that you expect. Just as with the rest of the drivers on the list, the Covert is adjustable for both face angle and loft.

Investing in a $400+ driver isn’t for everyone. However, if you are comfortable with spending that much money on your game, any of the four drivers above can make an excellent choice. Find a place to try them all out and determine exactly which club will suit your game the best and allow you to swing with confidence off every tee.

I just got the Mizuno 825 JPX driver and I never hit the ball straighter in my life.

Got new KZG irons too and I'm either hitting greens or getting the ball close for easy chip shots.

As long as things like that happen they'll keep making new ones!

I was responding to a post about the British open not being easy by saying it was which had nothing to to with the query you made.
Why is it easy, because of the +/- Par scores? My post is exactly the point, why do they even have par? The raw number of strokes decides who wins and who loses.

Bingo. If you play Erin Hills last year as a Par 70 (like Shinnecock) instead of a Par 72 then your winner is at -8, the next closest guy is at -4, and a grand total of 20 guys breaks par.

This on a course that the USGA neutered before Mother Nature further neutered it.

The USGA ruined Saturday this past year because they won’t just leave well enough alone and are constantly trying to toe an irrelevant, arbitrary line.

They actually do have limits now on equipment, but the governing bodies were super late to the party when it came to placing the limits. The equipment had already evolved too much for today’s courses and today’s golfers. Plus then you add things like Trackman where golfers can maximize the efficiency of both their swings and their equipment and they really are maxing out

I think they’ll eventually bifurcate the ball and have a different ball for amateurs and a different ball for Tour players. That’s probably their only chance to make a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT