ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 opening with conf games

That will be bizarre.

2 things

1. Has college basketball opening day been moved up to the 1st Tuesday in November? That's when it seems to be this year. I missed this memo.

2. Totally awesome outside the box idea by Swoffy and ESPN. Great way to kick off the college basketball season. You have 20 of them to play, why not open the season with one? Cant believe I never thought of this though I did say conferences schedules should be expanded (I beliebe I said 22)

And I'm telling you the next step will be some sort of alliance between the major conferences to only schedule each other. Attendance and TV ratings for CBB sucks in Nov/Dec.

2 things

1. Has college basketball opening day been moved up to the 1st Tuesday in November? That's when it seems to be this year. I missed this memo.

2. Totally awesome outside the box idea by Swoffy and ESPN. Great way to kick off the college basketball season. You have 20 of them to play, why not open the season with one? Cant believe I never thought of this though I did say conferences schedules should be expanded (I beliebe I said 22)

And I'm telling you the next step will be some sort of alliance between the major conferences to only schedule each other. Attendance and TV ratings for CBB sucks in Nov/Dec.

Yes, the season has been moved up. ... And you might like the idea, but I can pretty much guarantee Capel & Co. hate it.

Yeah, leading off the season with conference games is dumb. I can understand why the league office and the television people might like it, but surely there is not one coach in America that would think it's a good idea.

As a fan, do you think its dumb?

Quite frankly, yes. It's not like playing that game on November 6 (or whatever) is in place of a game against a crappy team. All it's going to do is shuffle the order of the games, not change the games that you actually play. And teams are going to be no where close to as good as they will end up later in the year. So the games will be sloppier, of lower quality, than if they played them a month later.

Reactions: H2P 2003
Early December makes a lot more sense because college football is finishing their regular season and all the attention could be on the basketball games. There is too much going on in early Nov.

Reactions: Elsalvador
As a fan, do you think its dumb?

Quite frankly, yes. It's not like playing that game on November 6 (or whatever) is in place of a game against a crappy team. All it's going to do is shuffle the order of the games, not change the games that you actually play. And teams are going to be no where close to as good as they will end up later in the year. So the games will be sloppier, of lower quality, than if they played them a month later.

As a fan, I love it. Heck, if it were up to me, I'd play 3-4 of these games before January 1. I would spread out the ACC season as long as I could. Great for fans and great for TV. So, maybe we play Clemson on Nov 6 and Elon on Jan 18, I actually love that because it gets me in the CBB mood sooner

As a fan, I love it. Heck, if it were up to me, I'd play 3-4 of these games before January 1. I would spread out the ACC season as long as I could. Great for fans and great for TV. So, maybe we play Clemson on Nov 6 and Elon on Jan 18, I actually love that because it gets me in the CBB mood sooner

This decreases my interest in college hoops. The less time teams have to gel before conference play the less enjoyable the games will be.

Love it. Hate the 6 week preseason that college hoops is in nov and December. It’s 10 exhibition games with a Christmas tournament then the real season starts.

That is amateur hour.

This decreases my interest in college hoops. The less time teams have to gel before conference play the less enjoyable the games will be.

The 8 games against MEAC and Patriot League teams arent enough?

The 8 games against MEAC and Patriot League teams arent enough?

I’m not going to watch those games anyway. Moving conference games into November just means there are fewer college hoops games I’ll watch throughout the year.

I hate this. I’d much rather see more matchups like the ACC-Big Ten challenge with the other conferences, but I guess they’d then run into tv rights issues.

Although I have to admit games like unc-duke, Pitt-cuse, nc state-wake, Virginia-vtech on opening day would be great for ratings.

As a fan, I love it. Heck, if it were up to me, I'd play 3-4 of these games before January 1.

Well they are going to have to play at least two and maybe more conference games before January 1 under the new set up. It just would make a whole lot more sense if those games were during the first and second weeks of December rather than the first and second weeks of November, when no one is paying attention to college basketball.

Reactions: levance2
I guess as a team at the bottom of this conference, maybe this gives us the opportunity to surprise a better opponent. If this were the 2000s then I’d be more upset about it.

I think what bothers me about it is that there’s probably no chance these early games feature big, close, important match ups, so it seems like an unbalanced move.

Reactions: Ski11585
Well they are going to have to play at least two and maybe more conference games before January 1 under the new set up. It just would make a whole lot more sense if those games were during the first and second weeks of December rather than the first and second weeks of November, when no one is paying attention to college basketball.

Or even the 3rd week of December.

I guess as a team at the bottom of this conference, maybe this gives us the opportunity to surprise a better opponent. If this were the 2000s then I’d be more upset about it.

I think what bothers me about it is that there’s probably no chance these early games feature big, close, important match ups, so it seems like an unbalanced move.

Yeah, I really doubt they open the season with UNC-Duke.

But hey, maybe SMF is right and BC-Wake Forest will really drive the ratings more than UNC vs. some scrub.

Nobody is watching college hoops until March anyway. This idea is stupid.

Reactions: H2P 2003
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT