ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Pirates Season Thread

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Figured I’d start one for the few Bucco fans left on this board. With the start of the condensed 60-game season just a week away, new Pirates manager Derek Shelton announced Joe Musgrove will be on the mound for Opening Day in St. Louis. He’ll be going up against Jack Flaherty.

The opening day lineup will likely look something like this
C Stallings
1B Bell
2B Frazier
3B Moran
SS Newman
LF Reynolds
CF Dyson
RF Polanco (Heredia for now)
DH Osuna (?)

With Archer and Taillon out, the top three of the rotation will be Musgrove, Williams, and Keller. After that, the final two spots should be filled by a combo of Derek Holland, Kuhl, and Brault. Bullpen will he led by closer Kela and one of the three mentioned above. Setup will likely be Crick and the rest should be rounded out by Rodriguez, Burdi, Stratton, Holmes, and Feliz.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFBaum
Figured I’d start one for the few Bucco fans left on this board. With the start of the condensed 60-game season just a week ago, new Pirates manager Derek Shelton announced Joe Musgrove will be on the mound for Opening Day in St. Louis.

The opening day lineup will likely look something like this
C Stallings
1B Bell
2B Frazier
3B Moran
SS Newman
LF Reynolds
CF Dyson
RF Polanco

Not sure how long he has to sit or how this will impact but Polanco tested positive for the ‘rona.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think there’s definitely reason to be more optimistic about the season than we were before the pandemic. The Pirates have typically been a first-half team the past 10 or so years, which could benefit them in a 60-game season. For example, they finished 82-79 in 2018 and 69-93 last season. However, their splits through 60 games looked like this:

2018: 30-30
2019: 29-31

Those records might be enough to clinch an eighth seed in an expanded playoff field. Also helps that they play one of the weaker schedules (NL/AL Central divisions) and a few notable players from those teams (STL’s Hicks, CWS’s Kopech) have opted out. If Bell gets hot, anything can happen.

Not sure how long he has to sit or how this will impact but Polanco tested positive for the ‘rona.
Welp, there you go. Just now seeing that. Looks like he’ll be out for a few weeks. I’d assume Guillermo Heredia would take his spot? Hopefully he’s the only one that was affected and he makes a full recovery!

Let's see, what One starter gone, top reliever out with COVID, RF and 5 hole hitter out with COVID, top prospect 3B Hayes out with COVID.

Oh yeah, this will go well. Pirates have a real shot at the #1 pick next year. And that is not the worst thing.

Let's see, what One starter gone, top reliever out with COVID, RF and 5 hole hitter out with COVID, top prospect 3B Hayes out with COVID.

Oh yeah, this will go well. Pirates have a real shot at the #1 pick next year. And that is not the worst thing.
Trust me, I’m right there with you. Before the season started, I wanted them to lose 100 games for a couple seasons and stock the farm. Now that things are a bit more random and all bets are off, I’m reconsidering that wish for this season, lol.

If either outcome happens, I won’t be complaining! Just hope that it’s not like the past however many years and we end up in the middle....

They will start the season and unfortunately be shut down. Why even bother JMO
Don’t think you’re too far off. I’ll enjoy it while I can, though. Just give me a few games of summer baseball and we can skip ahead to 2021.

They will start the season and unfortunately be shut down. Why even bother JMO

They're all trying because there’s still a ton of money at stake. Even without fans. I wouldn’t bet on any league finishing either so I think I’m with you. But they’re giving it a go for financial reasons. Nothing more.

I'm 100% optimism, 100% of the time with the Buc's. My love of the Buc's overrides my utter disdain for Nutting.

It's gonna be a fun 60 game season and can't wait for Buctober!

I'm 100% optimism, 100% of the time with the Buc's. My love of the Buc's overrides my utter disdain for Nutting.

Agreed. Excited to finally see Shelton’s debut as manager.

They're going to be out of it by early Buctember, I imagine. Like others have said, they need to stockpile a few top 5 picks. Here's to hoping.

It’s gonna be different this year

200.gif

I hope the Bucs can make a go of it for one reason.

To make a long story short I became a Pitt fan in '73 about a year after my arrival to WPA. By '86 or so I moved into the neighborhood and one of the best neighbors was a Pitt grad and his wife, their children were spread out in age with the youngest two still in HS. He loves Pitt football and we would talk Pittsburgh sports when we saw one another. Then about 2000 his wife gets too frail to go to games with him and he started asking me if I wanted to go or wanted his tickets etc., my work kept me from going some years but we had a run from about 2005-2009 when it worked out and we spent almost all those Saturdays together, his wife passed in 2007 and his son would come to some games. He taught a me an extraordinary amount about Pitt/Pittsburgh sports. I would drive and we would get to the game early as he was still excited after all those years to see the Pitt band coming onto the field(Basically he taught me that it was unthinkable to not be at your seat for this), he has a very good voice and could sing the AM and NA with the best of them and he faithfully did.He loved going but eventually, around 2015 or so he didn't feel well enough to go, he graduated in the early '50s

His mind is sharp but he is having a hard time getting around now. Although he has a good family, the Pirates/Penguin/Pitt games would improve his life so much. I hope that Pitt can get a few games in for him to watch this year.

Crowned with love of son and daughter,
Thou shalt conquer as of yore,
Dear old Pittsburgh, Alma Mater,
God preserve Thee evermore!

Hail to Pitt!

Also helps that they play one of the weaker schedules (NL/AL Central divisions)

Actually most places that have rated the schedules have the Pirates' schedule as one of the toughest.

First of all, teams are playing most of their games against division teams. And the Pirates don't get to play any games against the worst team in their division, because, well, that team is them.

Secondly, MLB finally realized that the Pirates and Cleveland should be natural rivals, so the Pirates got more games against the Indians (6) and fewer games against their big rivals, the clearly worst team in baseball Detroit Tigers (3). They also only get three games against the second worst team in the AL Central, the Royals.

The Pirates' best hope is that the gods of small samples sizes smile down upon them and they get what would be their one really good stretch of baseball in a normal season to come entirely in those 60 games. A stretch of something like 14-5 over three really good weeks could make them a playoff contender even if they play under .500 ball the rest of the season.

First Pirates “preseason“ game is tonight against the Indians. Game starts at 7:05 and, for those in PA, will be on AT&T SportsNet.

Edit: Also going to be on MLB Network.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
Michael McKenry knows the game really well, but I’m not sure I care for him as a color commentator.

Michael McKenry knows the game really well, but I’m not sure I care for him as a color commentator.

I am told old for all this how everyone feels nonsense, talk about the game and the players performance, last year's stats, career stats, etc., I turned the sound off after an inning.

I am told old for all this how everyone feels nonsense, talk about the game and the players performance, last year's stats, career stats, etc., I turned the sound off after an inning.
Also seems like he’s talking A LOT. Just not sure he has a “commentator voice.” Definitely going to be tough replacing Steve Blass.

Reactions: Parkview57
The most worthless thing in a baseball telecast is a sideline reporter.especially the person we have.somebody else seriously needs to hire him away from us but I’m afraid nobody else would take him.

The most worthless thing in a baseball telecast is a sideline reporter.especially the person we have.somebody else seriously needs to hire him away from us but I’m afraid nobody else would take him.

Wait, so you think the report from the rooftop a half mile away of people watching the game with binoculars was a waste of time?

Yeah, me too.

Hey, idiots, go inside and watch it on television. Then you might actually have some idea what's going on.

Wait, so you think the report from the rooftop a half mile away of people watching the game with binoculars was a waste of time?

Yeah, me too.

Hey, idiots, go inside and watch it on television. Then you might actually have some idea what's going on.
No masks on any of them either.and yes,I don’t like the sideline guy we have no matter where he reports from.

Yeah, me too.

Yeah, that was hilarious. “You guys are trying to watch the game here because you can’t make it into the stadium? Let me stand in front of your view and touch all your stuff.” o_O

By the way, I should also say that although McHenry has been awful so far it is his first time (or certainly one of his first times) doing this, so I think he should be cut some slack for now. That job is one of those that looks a lot easier than it is.

But that also begs the question, why did the Pirates not go out and find someone with some experience to fill that position? They are going to use three guys (including McHenry) to fill the position this year. None of them have any experience at all doing the job. Did no one who was actually qualified want the position?

Parts still have some issues. Catching depth, bullpen n'at. But good to see Brownie hasn't lost his guffaw

60 games is like playing playing a 6 game NFL season. So who knows. But if Kela can't go, the bullpen is horrid. Musgrave and Williams are decent starters, Keller is the key.

Too many holes, injuries.....to me a successful season is not W's and L's.

It is you want to see Musgrave and Williams establish themselves. Mitch Keller is the key, if he can look like a MLB starter then this will be a good thing.

Bell is a player, but do you hold onto him? What you would like is or Polanco to have a nice year, get some trade value

Finish in the bottom 3-4, get a top prospect, trade Polanco for a decent prospect, hopefully at some point K'Bryan Hayes can go and shows he can hit MLB pitching.

But this year should be about next year and beyond.

Hey, now here's an interesting tidbit. With the Blue Jays not being allowed to play their home games in Toronto they are looking for a place to play. Buffalo, their AAA city, apparently has a lighting system that is not up to major league standings (more for television than for game play). They are wary of playing at Dunedin, their spring training site, because, well, Florida is swimming in covid cases. So they are looking at playing at least some of their games this season at, you guessed it, PNC Park.

Hey, now here's an interesting tidbit. With the Blue Jays not being allowed to play their home games in Toronto they are looking for a place to play. Buffalo, their AAA city, apparently has a lighting system that is not up to major league standings (more for television than for game play). They are wary of playing at Dunedin, their spring training site, because, well, Florida is swimming in covid cases. So they are looking at playing at least some of their games this season at, you guessed it, PNC Park.
Hmm. Wonder why they they’re considering Pittsburgh and not, say, Cleveland or Detroit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT