ADVERTISEMENT

2023-2024 Schedule

TJ-Pinzburgh

Walk-on
Gold Member
Apr 4, 2023
Approximately a month out from schedule release. Any insight on out of conference schedule?

Hopefully Lehigh and WVU can be yearly opponents.

Maryland was good match last season. Iowa St best college dual I have attended. Heard Oklahoma St may replace Iowa St as they will be visiting WVU.

2022-23 Schedule: (not including ACC matches)
Clev St
Maryland
Lehigh
Illinois
Brown
Columbia
Midlands
WVU
Buffalo
Iowa St

Reactions: jctrack
I could see Brown being on the schedule quite a bit with Leen over there. WVU and Lehigh will almost likely be on the schedule again, and you are probably correct with Oklahoma State.

I’d like to see them wrestle some of the local state schools ( Clarion, Edinboro, Lock Haven) I feel like they still wrestle Edinboro quite often.

Illinois would be a fun match if they do do that every year.

I’m surprised they don’t wrestle some of the socon schools more often while they are already down in NC against the ACC schools. Add an extra match against App State, Campbell, or Gardner Webb. I’m not too familiar with NC geography so not sure how far they are from Duke, UNC, and NC State.

Reactions: TJ-Pinzburgh
I could see Brown being on the schedule quite a bit with Leen over there. WVU and Lehigh will almost likely be on the schedule again, and you are probably correct with Oklahoma State.

I’d like to see them wrestle some of the local state schools ( Clarion, Edinboro, Lock Haven) I feel like they still wrestle Edinboro quite often.

I’m surprised they don’t wrestle some of the socon schools more often while they are already down in NC against the ACC schools. Add an extra match against App State, Campbell, or Gardner Webb. I’m not too familiar with NC geography so not sure how far they are from Duke, UNC, and NC State.
I think App ST is closest to VT

Can only do so much with the schedule with 15 competition days a season. The only benefit of a small ACC is it allows for a much bigger nonconference schedule but can still be tough to schedule as all the other conferences are larger.

I like the idea of socon schools. Some good programs that can be overlooked. Also like the locals schools which you get to see locals kids. Overall I’d like to see them pass on some of schools which were not competitive. Replace them with Big 10 or Big 12 programs.

See something that Mickey Phillippi headed to be assistant at Brown with Leen. Was that announced anywhere?

Reactions: singregardless
Can only do so much with the schedule with 15 competition days a season. The only benefit of a small ACC is it allows for a much bigger nonconference schedule but can still be tough to schedule as all the other conferences are larger.
Good point. Hard to get many of the top teams especially Big 10. They have a huge conference that makes up big part of their schedule.

This appears to be part of Pitt schedule based on what has been released from other schools.

Looks great. Can’t wait to see the team develop. I have made it to quite a few matches last few seasons. Only missed Duke last year. Getting season tickets for first time this year.

Pitt will have a better dual team than NCAA tournament team.

Looking at the nonconference schedule I would put Cornell and Ohio State as losses and the rest are toss ups depending on lineups.

In conference, NC State is a loss and VT is a toss up

In the past I remember a lot of redshirts going to that tournament. The new rules changed the outlook of some tournaments though so it will be interesting to see

Breaking down this years OOC dual season:
Navy Duals:
Morgan State: Should be a dominant win
VMI: Should be another dominant win
Navy: Should be a comfortable win with some tough matchups
Lehigh: I give this match a slight Pitt lean based on matchups but many matches will be close or toss ups
Maryland: Another slight Pitt lean, but as we saw last year it can go bad vs. a team like Maryland very quickly
Illinois: Complete tossup in my books. Strange considering we routed them last season, but every match from 165 on is a pure tossup and while I would expect to be leading going into the halfway point it could very well be the other way around.
Ohio State: Definite lean in OSU's favor, their guys are as a whole more battle tested in these big duals. Similar to Illinois every match after 165 is a definite toss up, but unlike the Illinois match I would definitely favor OSU in the first half of the dual
Iowa State: Very much a toss up, could be similar to last year and come down to the final match
Little Rock: Should be a comfortable victory with a few tough matches
Cornell: Strong Cornell lean, a lot would have to go right for Pitt to get the win, however it is not impossible depending on matchups and a few key results
TBD: Depends on how Pitt does in its first 3 matches at NCD
OK State: WrestleStat projects this as a tie, which I feel shows how much of a tossup it truly is. The big factor in my opinion is what OKST does at 174/184 with the recent departure of Wittlake and Thompson waiting in the wings.
Iowa State (again): See Above but added intrigue of second time matchups, most likely many results will flip
Arizona State: Another pure toss up, this is more intriguing because only about half of the matches I would consider toss ups, so bonus points from the big guns will play a big factor. Also a chance for Pitzer to get another win over Schultz.
Rider: Another comfortable win with a few intriguing matchups.
Overall I feel as if our out of conference schedule is very challenging but also has enough "safe" duals that can be used for development and making sure our guys come into tournament time with good enough records. Overall I would say our floor is about 6 wins, assuming we get 1 of the toss ups. Realistically I would expect about a 9-5 dual record out of conference (not counting the cross pool matchup(s) from NCD). Anything above this would be a very successful dual meet run.

ACC Dual Schedule preview:
NC State: This is a slight NC State lean for me. They are big favorites at 4 weights so there will be little margin for error for Pitt. But 41, 49, 74, 84, and HWT are the 5 matches that could make or break this dual for Pitt.
Duke: Should be a dominant victory.
UNC: Expect a comfortable victory with some great matches.
VT: This should be another great dual like last seasons. VT are big favorites at 5 weights (if healthy and all starters go), so upsets and bonus points when available will likely make the difference. Plus a few toss-up matches that could be the difference between a close dual and a blowout.
Virginia: A comfortable win with a few decent matchups.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT