ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Medical School ranking improves in new US News "Americas Best Graduate Schools" 2023-2024 report

Nov 11, 2002
US News "Americas Best Graduate Schools" 2023-2024 to be released 4/25/23.

However, they did release their Top 15 Best Research Medical Schools which are listed below.

US News Top 15 Research Medical Schools:

#1 Johns Hopkins University
#2 University of Pennsylvania
#3 Harvard University
#4 University of California (SF)
#4 Washington University (St. Louis) (tie)
#6 Columbia University
#7 Stanford University
#7 Yale University (tie)
#9 Duke University
#9 University of Michigan (tie)
#11 University of Pittsburgh
#12 Northwestern University
#13 New York University
#14 Cornell University
#14 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (tie)

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I remember when I was going to Pitt the Library and Information Sciences program was ranked number 3 by US News. Now it's #17.

I remember when I was going to Pitt the Library and Information Sciences program was ranked number 3 by US News. Now it's #17.
It was probably that bombed out building they had on Dithridge (?) that made it appear subpar. The place looked like It was in Beirut and has been blown up by Israeli rockets

Does Library and Information Sciences even exist any more? I thought it was merged into that new Computer Science school. Anyway, I feel like Pitt did miss the boat on computer science a bit. They had all the resources to make a well-regarded CS program like CMU, but put all the money into engineering programs in the 80s and 90s and stuffed CS in some old buildings with little equipment.

Does Library and Information Sciences even exist any more? I thought it was merged into that new Computer Science school. Anyway, I feel like Pitt did miss the boat on computer science a bit. They had all the resources to make a well-regarded CS program like CMU, but put all the money into engineering programs in the 80s and 90s and stuffed CS in some old buildings with little equipment.
Right on. We seemed to surrender to CMU in that area. Possibly Engineering was hostile to cooperation? It always seemed very arrogant and standoffish. Maybe being in CAS was also an issue? CAS didn’t like the direction to STEM emphasis at the expense of the classics? There was an element of fear and loathing from some in that area. I had a Poly Sci prof who angrily railed at technology in his lectures. Of course, he hated Pitt football too. Very…progressive. Taxes and big government would solve all problems, etc. He’s was entertaining though, so it was a fun class overall.

When I was at Pitt (late 80s) there was ballyhoo over a big agreement between Pitt and AT&T that was basically supposed to turn Pitt into a CS “paherhause”. Other than what appeared to be fiber clumsily installed in Posvar Hall, nothing much seemed to come from it.

Last edited:

That program is still part of the new Computing school.

But yes, Pitt allowed it to lag. And not just in the 90s. In the 00s and the 10s. I recall visiting Penn State in the early 00s and they had just built a giant Computing school, and came back to Pitt and they were remodeling a few rooms in the parking garage IS building. They seemed to choose to not invest into their computer programs at the exact time computer related jobs were exploding. It was mind boggleing.

I remember taking my first Information Sciences Intro class in the late 90s. They were using a book from the 80s, and I was like WTF? My sister's IT book from CCAC was more relevant.

Yeah, I took a few CS classes at Pitt in the 90s. They were in the old Alumni Hall building. Not the current Alumni Hall, some other old decrepit building that I think they were even embarrassed to call Alumni Hall after a while so they changed the building name and found a new Alumni Hall. And then the CS computing lab was in the basement of Allen Hall and the computing equipment was laughable. Meanwhile, the Engineering programs had state of the art computing equipment all over Benedum Hall. And I agree, there was an arrogance from other programs to the CS field, like CS was just a bunch kids who couldn't get into engineering so they made video games all day instead.

Getting close to the original topic, my friend dated a really hot Pitt med student for several years then dumped her during her residency. I don't know how she ended up in life, but he definitely would have been better off with a hot, rich wife.

Yeah, I took a few CS classes at Pitt in the 90s. They were in the old Alumni Hall building. Not the current Alumni Hall, some other old decrepit building that I think they were even embarrassed to call Alumni Hall after a while so they changed the building name and found a new Alumni Hall. And then the CS computing lab was in the basement of Allen Hall and the computing equipment was laughable. Meanwhile, the Engineering programs had state of the art computing equipment all over Benedum Hall. And I agree, there was an arrogance from other programs to the CS field, like CS was just a bunch kids who couldn't get into engineering so they made video games all day instead.
Yes. I think Pitt was errant (but on purpose, perhaps?) not putting CS into the Engineering school. It would have gotten access to better resources, would have gotten better internal and external reputation, and attracted higher caliber instructors and students. Engineering likely didn’t care for that idea to say the least. I think Pitt brass, while somewhat more conservative back then than now ( an understatement for sure) still was repulsed by what CMU was doing with the Defense department, and was glad to let CS wither as an redhead step child in CAS at Pitt.

Yes. I think Pitt was errant (but on purpose, perhaps?) not putting CS into the Engineering school. It would have gotten access to better resources, would have gotten better internal and external reputation, and attracted higher caliber instructors and students. Engineering likely didn’t care for that idea to say the least. I think Pitt brass, while somewhat more conservative back then than now ( an understatement for sure) still was repulsed by what CMU was doing with the Defense department, and was glad to let CS wither as an redhead step child in CAS at Pitt.

Total mismanagement that it took Pitt so long to merge CS and IS.

Any IS grads remember that big blue intro to IS book? That thing was outdated when I was at Pitt and I heard they had used it for a number of years after.

Yes, the programs that were in the former school are now part of the new School of Computing and Information.

Pitt was ranked 17th in the last US News rankings for Library and Information Studies.

That new computer science building on the Syria Mosque site can’t come soon enough!

Computer Science is not Computer Engineering. I don't know many schools that have computer science within schools of engineering. Maybe there are though.

Reactions: pittdan77
Old Alumni Hall is now called Eberly Hall.

However, they did release their Top 15 Best Research Medical Schools which are listed below.

#3 Harvard University
#6 Columbia University
#7 Stanford University
#7 Yale University (tie)
#9 Duke University
#13 New York University
#14 Cornell University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
This is up from a tie for 14th last year, and 13th the year prior. This is one of its highest ever rankings for the med school (in the research category).

What is interesting when looking at med school rankings is the reputation (undergrad et al) of the other schools Pitt is among. They're all in the overall national top 25 (if they have undergrad components), except for Pitt.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
Great company to be with.
Now let's improve that ranking!

Didn't see ups anywhere in that group,must be an oversite.

Does Library and Information Sciences even exist any more?

It does, it’s just called Google now.

Does Library and Information Sciences even exist any more?

It does, it’s just called Google now.

It's more of a subset of the overall School now. I'm not seeing many librarys close, though. Here is what the new School offers:

This is up from a tie for 14th last year, and 13th the year prior. This is one of its highest ever rankings for the med school (in the research category).

What is interesting when looking at med school rankings is the reputation (undergrad et al) of the other schools Pitt is among. They're all in the overall national top 25 (if they have undergrad components), except for Pitt.

If you look at the list, there are only 3 Public Universities listed: Pitt, UCSF, and Michigan.

What an accomplishment.

I believe when US News releases their current rankings all of Pitt's Health Professions (Medicine, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Nursing, Clinical Psychology etc.) will all be rated in the Top 20.

I think Pitt should do a better job in marketing these rather remarkable accomplishments to the rest of the country.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

If you look at the list, there are only 3 Public Universities listed: Pitt, UCSF, and Michigan.

What an accomplishment.

I believe when US News releases their current rankings all of Pitt's Health Professions (Medicine, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Nursing, Clinical Psychology etc.) will all be rated in the Top 20.

I think Pitt should do a better job in marketing these rather remarkable accomplishments to the rest of the country.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
UCSF doesn't have undergraduate programs, and it is easily #2 in the world for medical research and health sciences behind Johns Hopkins.

Michigan... $17 billion endowment for a university without an extensive system of regional campuses, and it shows.

Pitt has always been terrible at messaging. Really, really terrible.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13

#3 Harvard University
#6 Columbia University
#7 Stanford University
#7 Yale University (tie)
#9 Duke University
#13 New York University
#14 Cornell University

HAIL TO PITT!!!!!
I didn't know pitt was in this top, this year I will apply for it 😅
Besides this I must note that I have a fear of it, because several people have told me that there is quite difficult to do studies, I hope that this source https://edubirdie.com/assignment-help will help me, because otherwise I do not know if I will resist, it really is right? because i have doubts referito to that it is so hard? simple to me the overall average is quite low and I don't know if I will be able to apply ((

Last edited:
Getting close to the original topic, my friend dated a really hot Pitt med student for several years then dumped her during her residency. I don't know how she ended up in life, but he definitely would have been better off with a hot, rich wife.
Educated guess…cosmetic surgeon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT