ADVERTISEMENT

2023/future

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
Last night was the KO shot on any flicker of conference hopes and it’d be nice to see some younger guys get some playing time from here out (won’t happen though). Future looks dark, but then again it’s, umm, the future and who knows. Some thoughts:

1. There’s talent on this roster; it’s just not being coached/utilized properly. Except many transfers from talented guys. 2023 roster will have less talent on it.
2. A total tank HAS to ensure that most of the offensive coaching staff is fired and Slovis moved on. It’s just not working.
3. Our OOC schedule looks 1-3 next year; it could be a sub .500 year.
4. Bright side: Pitt won’t have UNC on its schedule annually. BC, VT, Cuse and Pitt; what a 4some.

Stil hard the believe how disappointing this year has been. I don’t think anyone predicted this.

Narduzzi will pull a Tomlin and keep the offensive staff in place like he did with Canada thinking things will be different in year two.

Yeah Alabama would probably lose 2 out of 3 playing through that brutal gauntlet.
I can’t believe she hasn’t been fired already.
Our strength of schedule might even make it in the top 50 next season. How could any AD ever let that happen.

Reactions: Jim Z
Yeah Alabama would probably lose 2 out of 3 playing through that brutal gauntlet.
Our strength of schedule might even make it in the top 50 next season. How could any AD ever let that happen.
Yeah laugh jack rabbit . Fact is no one schedules like that it’s a recipe to get beat up going into conference play lyke is in over her huge head

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
There are actually 50 AD's in the country who will have teams with a top 50 strength of schedule.

Reactions: JD1976
Put the press clippings aside. Who actually is playing well this year? We have a combination of subpar performance and coaching.

DL - Kancey is the only one. Morgan does a decent job of getting some pressure. Overall, this group has been a major disappointment. Haba in particular.

LB - Dennis is doing okay but not as good as the hype. Wiltz is okay. Nothing much from others and Kamara is terrible

DB - Is anyone playing as well as they should be? A lot of disappointing play and missed opportunities. GT game comes to mind.

On the offensive side of the ball. Izzy is the only guy who is playing well and above expectations. I don’t even need to talk about it because it’s painfully obvious.

Reactions: Schaef60
Put the press clippings aside. Who actually is playing well this year? We have a combination of subpar performance and coaching.

DL - Kancey is the only one. Morgan does a decent job of getting some pressure. Overall, this group has been a major disappointment. Haba in particular.

LB - Dennis is doing okay but not as good as the hype. Wiltz is okay. Nothing much from others and Kamara is terrible

DB - Is anyone playing as well as they should be? A lot of disappointing play and missed opportunities. GT game comes to mind.

On the offensive side of the ball. Izzy is the only guy who is playing well and above expectations. I don’t even need to talk about it because it’s painfully obvious.
I’d say this is about right. But when you have guys that regress from one year to the next, who do you think deserves the primary fault for that?

I’d say this is about right. But when you have guys that regress from one year to the next, who do you think deserves the primary fault for that?
Not making excuses for anyone but I’m sure the staff will point to injuries and inexperience on the defensive side and offensive philosophy and injuries on the offense side. The DL and OL have been disappointing, which plays a big part into the overall teams disappointment

Manalac was a bad hire, but let’s look at CP. He has developed a lot of guys over the years. He’s a good coach and recruiter, but Kancey is the only guy playing well on the DL. In this case it is more on the players reading their press clippings.

I agree I might put wayne in the category of playing well

Regarding Lyke, I don't get the unwavering itch to throw money around the second a coach does something half decent. Like when Narduzzi beat Miami in 2017... wasn't he just finally doing something in that 5-7 season to earn the contract he already had? Did one good win on the season really warrant ripping it up and throwing way more years and money at him? I mean, maybe that one wasn't terrible because you want your guys signed at least through the length of time guys you're recruiting will be at your school (at least in theory). But then Capel, already getting a top 20 or 25 national salary I believe, starts 8-3 and we have to break the bank for him? At what point are you just doing what you're already being paid to do? Why do we have to live with the bad and then hand over a blank check as soon as something good happens?

And then Narduzzi's latest extension is obviously the biggest elephant in the room. Hell, at least he actually won something of significance to get it, as opposed to it being COMPLETELY on an emotional whim like the last two. But who was really going to come after him? I still don't hate the idea behind it. Many fans on here were asking when he's going to get paid, in fact. And we can't have it both ways, where we're bitching about giving big contracts and bitching that Pitt won't pay anyone and play big boy football. But I thought the amount and years were a little much, honestly. And now we're married to this guy for a long time. In 8 seasons, he'll have produced one good one, two half decent ones, one at the low end of what is acceptable here, and then four bad ones.

Manalac was a bad hire, but let’s look at CP. He has developed a lot of guys over the years. He’s a good coach and recruiter, but Kancey is the only guy playing well on the DL. In this case it is more on the players reading their press clippings.
Manalac, Borbely, Cignetti all need shown the door. I cringed when Cignetti was hired. It was such typical Narduzzi BS.

Reactions: columbus mike
This is probably the most disappointing season that I can recall since 1984, Pitt was the preseason #3 ranked team and finished 3-7-1
1990. Finished with the same record but that team talked a big game like this current crew did in the offseason.

I said the day that it was scheduled that Cincy was a bad team to schedule because:

a) its a probable road loss

b) its a possible home loss

c) there is no attendance bump or local buzz in Cincy coming in

Stop posting facts!!!! The clown brigade can’t handle it. I guess now is the time to tell them she didn’t schedule Notre Dame either.

I'm imagining one of the clown brigade being in charge and Notre Dame comes to them and says hey, we'd like to schedule some games with you, and them replying no thanks, we don't want you on our schedule.

We all know that the games with Cincinnati were scheduled two years before Lyke was hired as AD, right?

Apparently not.

I'm confident the Pitt/Cincinnati series never happens. I don't think we'll play another FCS buy game, but we should be able to find a lower level G5 dancing partner given the amount of musical conference chairs that happens after every season now.

This was announced before Cincy was set to join the P5 (which makes it an even dumber game to schedule, but that's another topic). After the injuries we've sustained opening with two P5 teams this year, I guaranteed Narduzzi wants nothing to do with 11 P5 games next season. It hasn't worked out very well for West Virginia this season.

I'm confident the Pitt/Cincinnati series never happens. I don't think we'll play another FCS buy game, but we should be able to find a lower level G5 dancing partner given the amount of musical conference chairs that happens after every season now.

This was announced before Cincy was set to join the P5 (which makes it an even dumber game to schedule, but that's another topic). After the injuries we've sustained opening with two P5 teams this year, I guaranteed Narduzzi wants nothing to do with 11 P5 games next season. It hasn't worked out very well for West Virginia this season.
Isn’t it a little late to cancel? Plus we still need to add another OOC next year.

We all know that the games with Cincinnati were scheduled two years before Lyke was hired as AD, right?

Apparently not.

True, but there is nothing stopping her from picking up the phone and trying to make a change. Michigan had no qualms about dropping UCLA and adding more jobbers to their schedule.

True, but there is nothing stopping her from picking up the phone and trying to make a change. Michigan had no qualms about dropping UCLA and adding more jobbers to their schedule.

How do we know that she hasn't, and Cincinnati said they wanted to play, and she felt that throwing away whatever the amount of money to get out of the contract wasn't worth it?

Or that she asked her coach if he wanted her to try to get them out of the game, and he said "Cincinnati? Jeebus, are we really afraid to play Cincinnati? Why would we do that?"

Reactions: cbpitt2
This is probably the most disappointing season that I can recall since 1984, Pitt was the preseason #3 ranked team and finished 3-7-1
In all honestly this team was overrated. Kenny was such a stud and Addison was just a good. They kept up in games that they typical lose. We don’t have any players like that and we are seeing the result.

I can think of one thing that's stopping her. It would cost Pitt millions to get out of the Cincy games. We ain't Michigan.

The ND scheduling agreement is garbage.

it basically assures us as we try and schedule home/home with fellow P5 teams that every year ND is “given” to us our OOC schedule will be nothing less than stacked

The ND scheduling agreement is garbage.

it basically assures us as we try and schedule home/home with fellow P5 teams that every year ND is “given” to us our OOC schedule will be nothing less than stacked

Just out of curiosity, if you are really adverse to scheduling Notre Dame and another P5 in the same year why would you be required to do so?

It's not like we don't know when we are going to have Notre Dame on the schedule and they surprise us with it at the last minute. We knew Notre Dame was on the schedule when we scheduled West Virginia. We knew Notre Dame was on the schedule when we scheduled Cincinnati. If we thought that any of that was too onerous there was a really simple solution to that.

Reactions: Mufasa94
Lyke should be fired for scheduling OOC. Cinci. Wvu and ND us same year. A recipe for disaster
She did not do this. The 1st 4 game series with WVU and the Cincinnati games were scheduled by Scott Barnes. The ACC scheduled Notre Dame. Wofford will be the 1-AA/FCS game. 6 and 6 split of home and away, as WVU AND ND are away, By the way, Cincy was in the American. Next year, they are in the Big 12, and thus, a power 5 school. On the other hand, Lyke could have moved the Cincinnati series. Maybe she tried. Who knows?

Forget football and what we have to look forward to. What did Lyke do to the hoops program as well? She saddled us with an incompetent, overpaid bs artist and gave him a contract extension for losing so much. If Narduzzi had 5 losing seasons in a row with no more than 4 wins in each, equivalent to what Capel is doing, do you think he'd still be here? And we're staring at another sub-0.500 record in hoops again this year, in all probability.

Our strength of schedule might even make it in the top 50 next season. How could any AD ever let that happI
I'm sure coach has a say in it too,, so go ahead blame him. I prefer to play a competitive schedule, you beat those teams and it gets noticed. Play lesser competiton and no one cares. She is a great AD, man or woman.

I said the day that it was scheduled that Cincy was a bad team to schedule because:

a) its a probable road loss

b) its a possible home loss

c) there is no attendance bump or local buzz in Cincy coming in
In fairness, you likely followed that with another post on how it was brilliant because Cincy fans travel and they would be an easy win. Just to cover your bases.

Regarding Cincy, not sure why they would want to reschedule. They likely have what they want in their 3 OOC games to go along with their 9 conference games. One FCS, one G5 and one P5 with 2 games at home and one away.

Sep. 2 Eastern Kentucky Colonels - Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH
Sep. 9 at Pitt Panthers - Acrisure Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA
Sep. 16 Miami (Ohio) RedHawks - Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH

Aug. 31 Towson Tigers - Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH
Sep. 7 Pitt Panthers - Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH
Sep. 14 at Miami (Ohio) RedHawks - Yager Stadium, Oxford, OH

I'm sure coach has a say in it too,, so go ahead blame him. I prefer to play a competitive schedule, you beat those teams and it gets noticed. Play lesser competiton and no one cares. She is a great AD, man or woman.

No. It. Doesn't.

Pitt could go 2-1 against those 3. The 1 loss would drop them out of the top 25. 2 losses would keep them out of the top 25 all season.

Michigan, tO$U and Pedst combined have no good wins on their resume. The assumption without any merit is pedst is good so Michigan and tO$U must be really good. It's a joke- just like it's a joke every year.

Playing nobody and stack easy wins is how you get "noticed".

The bigger issue (like this year) is the OOC over-scheduling kills the health of your team leaving you greatly impaired for conference play. If you want proof, just compare the team health last season with their light OOC games to this season.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT