ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Defensive Line

Oct 25, 2021
I guess the ends should be serviceable (not good) if Hayes comes back. He actually has a top ten pressure rate in the country if you can believe it. If he doesn't come back, though, ouch.

But the bigger issue is inside. For as bad as these guys are this year, I mean the guys behind them can't even get on the field. I saw Fitzsimmons out there late yesterday, so it can't be strictly injury that is holding him back.

I don't know if there is anything more frustrating than getting gashed in the trenches all day, and it seems like we could be in for that next season. I guess we could go pick off some look like Tarzan, play like Janes from the SEC (Dwayne Hendrix, for example) or some limited guys from equal or lesser schools... but yikes. Good luck finding anyone worth his weight in salt. D linemen are too important for the bigger schools not to sniff the good options out. Could be a Shane Roy kind of season.

And of course we'll also be breaking in multiple new cornerbacks, so it isn't really a good time to have a sieve up front. Things could get ugly, man.

I guess the ends should be serviceable (not good) if Hayes comes back. He actually has a top ten pressure rate in the country if you can believe it. If he doesn't come back, though, ouch.

But the bigger issue is inside. For as bad as these guys are this year, I mean the guys behind them can't even get on the field. I saw Fitzsimmons out there late yesterday, so it can't be strictly injury that is holding him back.

I don't know if there is anything more frustrating than getting gashed in the trenches all day, and it seems like we could be in for that next season. I guess we could go pick off some look like Tarzan, play like Janes from the SEC (Dwayne Hendrix, for example) or some limited guys from equal or lesser schools... but yikes. Good luck finding anyone worth his weight in salt. D linemen are too important for the bigger schools not to sniff the good options out. Could be a Shane Roy kind of season.

And of course we'll also be breaking in multiple new cornerbacks, so it isn't really a good time to have a sieve up front. Things could get ugly, man.
This is where an Elliot Donald would have a chance to step in, where is Nahki Johnson? Dorien Ford? Wasn’t Jimmy Scott being transformed to a DE? Sam Okunlola seems to flash occasionally. But, I agree, the kids are there, no idea why they aren’t playing or playing better.

I'm considering Johnson a bust. Okunlola and Scott have both passed him on the depth chart despite being a year younger.

Ford moved to OL - he'll transfer.

Donald... yeah, he's just not that good. Didn't play his senior season at CC and was probably overrated to begin with. Maybe he'll put in the work and become another Jules-quality player or something, but that's starting to look like his ceiling... and actually that might be a little too optimistic.

Okunlola has definitely flashed, but he's nowhere near where he needs to be. He's part of the reason I think the ends will be serviceable, though. Not sure the same can be said for inside.

Simple solution. Lock them in the weight room.

I actually think that might be part of it. I can't say for sure what these guys are doing, but I remember we'd get all kinds of videos what what Twyman and Kancey are doing. You have to WANT to be that, and I wonder if we have any of those types now.

Reactions: jctrack
I'm considering Johnson a bust. Okunlola and Scott have both passed him on the depth chart despite being a year younger.

Ford moved to OL - he'll transfer.

Donald... yeah, he's just not that good. Didn't play his senior season at CC and was probably overrated to begin with. Maybe he'll put in the work and become another Jules-quality player or something, but that's starting to look like his ceiling... and actually that might be a little too optimistic.

Okunlola has definitely flashed, but he's nowhere near where he needs to be. He's part of the reason I think the ends will be serviceable, though. Not sure the same can be said for inside.
Never put the words Jules and quality together like that…sieve…put on those 40 pounds you took off last summer.

I actually think that might be part of it. I can't say for sure what these guys are doing, but I remember we'd get all kinds of videos what what Twyman and Kancey are doing. You have to WANT to be that, and I wonder if we have a
I remember meeting ex-Steeler Mike Wagner once and the topic came up about S&C coaches and he just laughed. Said that's what everyone likes to point to when things go bad and has zero bearing on anything.
Wrong. Easy for him to say. Fralic, Covert and many others disagree. This unit was blown off the ball by Bliech (Pitt recruit) et al. Sure, mentally they may have checked out, but the new breed of Pitt linemen are not stout. Nice not having to see #2 and #92 come up lame every other series going forward. Starting Thursday Partridge has to relent and give the youngsters run. Has to.

This is where an Elliot Donald would have a chance to step in, where is Nahki Johnson? Dorien Ford? Wasn’t Jimmy Scott being transformed to a DE? Sam Okunlola seems to flash occasionally. But, I agree, the kids are there, no idea why they aren’t playing or playing better.
Do you think Partridge of all coaches would be sitting guys who could make a difference on the field?

Reactions: jctrack

Maybe the guys behind the starters can't get on the field because they are not men yet. The DL (and OL) is a position where teenage bodies are rarely ready for the position. They generally need a couple years of proper nutrition and weight-training to break through. Look at our roster and you see a dearth of juniors and sophomores. If the younger guys have any talent at all to go with there improved bodies, then things may not be as dire as you think.

Deandre Jules6'3"310 lbsRedshirt Senior
David Green6'1"285 lbsRedshirt Senior
Nate Temple6'4"250 lbsRedshirt Senior
Bam Brima6'5"270 lbsRedshirt Senior
Tyler Bentley6'2"300 lbsRedshirt Senior
Devin Danielson6'2"290 lbsRedshirt Senior
Dayon Hayes6'3"265 lbsSenior
Will King IV6'4"275 lbsRedshirt Junior
Nahki Johnson6'2"255 lbsRedshirt Sophomore
Elliot Donald6'3"280 lbsRedshirt Sophomore
Samuel Okunlola6'4"245 lbsRedshirt Freshman
Jimmy Scott6'2"260 lbsRedshirt Freshman