ADVERTISEMENT

20th in the coaches poll

I thought we’d be slightly higher but just keep on plugging. H2P!!

We moved ahead of the two teams who lost (Oklahoma and Utah) and also passed up two Big Ten teams that were ahead of us last week (Illinois and Michigan).

What with all the Big Ten bias it's surprising that we could even move up as many spots as we did. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jtbuba
We moved ahead of the two teams who lost (Oklahoma and Utah) and also passed up two Big Ten teams that were ahead of us last week (Illinois and Michigan).

What with all the Big Ten bias it's surprising that we could even move up as many spots as we did. :rolleyes:

I forgot we were 24 in the coaches, not 22.

Regardless like I said, just keep plugging!!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Up 4 spots is the biggest gain in the coaches' poll.

Yeah I was expecting to jump up around 4-5 spots in each poll. Totally forgot we were 24 not 22 in the coaches, so I was expecting around 18-17. That’s what I expect in the ap.

Ole Miss at 15 (2 P5 wins @ South Carolina and @ Wake and 2 losses) and Missouri (got destroyed by their only real test, BC win at home is solid at best, like winning @ South Carolina) at 16 is head scratching.

BYU, Indiana and Pitt not getting a fair shake as early undefeateds.

Reactions: Pittguy93
Ole Miss at 15 (2 P5 wins @ South Carolina and @ Wake and 2 losses) and Missouri (got destroyed by their only real test, BC win at home is solid at best, like winning @ South Carolina) at 16 is head scratching.

BYU, Indiana and Pitt not getting a fair shake as early undefeateds.

How high do you want an Indiana team that has beat absolutely nobody to be ranked? If we were ten games into the season, sure. But the level of competition has been way too diverse to rank teams based solely on their record right now.

Charlotte, FIU, Western Illinois, UCLA, Maryland, Northwestern

Where should be put them - ahead of Georgia? It's not like they're unranked. They're getting some respect for getting through that G5 schedule undefeated.

Pitt and SMU could be a pretty big game (but Pitt's standards) if they both continue to win.

And how is Piss U 4th again ? Sorry 3rd ? Absurd . As soon as they face a legitimate opponent they'll fold like a wet blanket ...

Last edited:
How high do you want an Indiana team that has beat absolutely nobody to be ranked? If we were ten games into the season, sure. But the level of competition has been way too diverse to rank teams based solely on their record right now.

Using the Athletics ranking of all teams through last week's games, Indiana has beaten, in order, 110, a 2-4 FCS team, 95, 97, 70 and 82.

You would expect their record to be exactly the same if they were the 50th best team in the country.

Just for fun, our six opponents were ranked 134 (last), 73, 50, a 2-5 FCS team, 66 and 45. Certainly not a murderer's row, but much tougher than what Indiana has faced.

Using the Athletics ranking of all teams through last week's games, Indiana has beaten, in order, 110, a 2-4 FCS team, 95, 97, 70 and 82.

You would expect their record to be exactly the same if they were the 50th best team in the country.

Just for fun, our six opponents were ranked 134 (last), 73, 50, a 2-5 FCS team, 66 and 45. Certainly not a murderer's row, but much tougher than what Indiana has faced.

My goodness, was Westingtonhouse not able to pull off travel accommodations to IU?

I don't see how anyone could want a team that has played that schedule to be higher than where they're ranked.

My goodness, was Westingtonhouse not able to pull off travel accommodations to IU?

I don't see how anyone could want a team that has played that schedule to be higher than where they're ranked.

I mean they could be as good as they are ranked. But I don't know how anyone could pretend to know that at this point. They have to play someone with a pulse before you can figure that out.

I mean they could be as good as they are ranked. But I don't know how anyone could pretend to know that at this point. They have to play someone with a pulse before you can figure that out.

Anymore, it's crazy how different schedules within the same conference can be, also. Miami could theoretically avoid anyone else in the top 3-4 of the ACC.

BTW, for all the bitching about Johnny McGonigal keeping his vote even though he is now covering Penn State, there are only two writers in the poll who have Pitt ranked higher than he does. He has us 16th this week. A guy from the Atlanta Journal Constitution has us ranked 11th and a guy from CBS Austin has us ranked 14th.

There are still two people who did not put us in their top 25, one from San Jose and one from Baton Rouge.

I honestly dont care where we are ranked... we have some tough games coming up, so if we can pull them out... we will be highly ranked

We're 6-0 but could just as easily be 3-3. I'm thankful for the ranking because it gives us some national recognition.

However, the nice thing about rankings this year is that they don't predetermine if a team makes the playoffs.

If we win our conference championship, we are in the playoffs. So, if we just keep winning, we'll be going to where we want to be.

Having said that, I recognize that our schedule is a lot more challenging than some want to admit. SYRACUSE 5-1, @SMU 5-1, UVA 4-2, CLEMSON 5-1, @ LOUISVILLE 4-2, and @ BOSTON COLLEGE 4-2 is a worthy undertaking. Every one of those teams has a winning record.

Many years ago, when we started 5-0, we finished 1-5. I think this team, however, could have some special chemistry. I'm looking forward to going 6-0 from here out, but like the coaches say, we need to go 1-0 each week.

Let's go, Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT