ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Year in a Row, MLS Club, LAFC, Selects Pitt Player

My son works for LAFC, Director of Digital, all online, Instagram and twitter content.

He texted me, this morning LAFC selected Javi Perez from Pitt, after taking Calvet Planellas last year. Calvet didn't make the club, hope Javi succeeds better.

Good for Javi and good for Pitt. However, he's a long shot to make the club. Really tough to get one of those 8 international spots. I didnt think Javi had a great year. Hope he makes it. If not, would love to see the Riverhounds pick him up. The USL is getting a lot better.

Asked my son, how did the interview go with Javi, joked as a Pitt man, probably well spoken.

His reply, "Very well spoken. He played for Valencia B ream in Spain, so he is used to interviews, moreso than the other college players they drafted."

However, he's a long shot to make the club.

At this point almost everyone taken past about the top half of the first round of the draft is a long shot to make the club. Because teams are allowed to sign players directly from their academy teams, so a lot of the best players don't ever go into the draft, and then the draft picks have to compete for roster spots with guys who have played in the club's system for years.

Philadelphia traded all five of their draft picks to Cincinnati this year, including the 13th pick in the draft, for $150,000 in allocation money. Chicago traded the 5th pick for the 15th pick and $100,000, and then traded the 15th pick for $50,000, and then traded the rest of their picks for a player to be named later.

At this point unless someone has one of the top couple picks, most MLS teams only see the draft as a way to get players for their USL team.

At this point almost everyone taken past about the top half of the first round of the draft is a long shot to make the club. Because teams are allowed to sign players directly from their academy teams, so a lot of the best players don't ever go into the draft, and then the draft picks have to compete for roster spots with guys who have played in the club's system for years.

Philadelphia traded all five of their draft picks to Cincinnati this year, including the 13th pick in the draft, for $150,000 in allocation money. Chicago traded the 5th pick for the 15th pick and $100,000, and then traded the 15th pick for $50,000, and then traded the rest of their picks for a player to be named later.

At this point unless someone has one of the top couple picks, most MLS teams only see the draft as a way to get players for their USL team.

I read somewhere that only 2 or 3 rookies from US colleges got significant PT last year

My wife and I visited Valencia last September. Based on what we witnessed, the organization of the amateur program there is amazing. There is a long empty riverbed which runs almost through the middle of the city. It is wide enough for soccer fields to have been built on it. And they are. When you cross one of the bridges which span the old riverbed, there are soccer fields in both directions as far as you can see. At the top of the bridge, where you walk down the stairs to the fields, were directories, listing what time practices and games are for every age from about 6 to 18. We stopped in the middle of a bridge to watch about 3 minutes of a scrimmage of players I would estimate were 11-12. Full uniforms, with one team wearing yellow tops over their kits so you could tell the teams apart. Three officials, just like at the pro level. At least 6 coaches: Two coaching each side and two more working with the players who weren’t in the scrimmage.

While not all the teams were scrimmaging, the same level of, for want of a better word, professionalism was obvious on the other pitches we could see. The ages of the players differed, the colors of the uniforms differed and what they were practicing differed, but the number of participants seemed about the same. From looking at the directory on the bridge, practices for squads of different age and skill levels (for example, on the directory for the bridge we were on were practices for “Juvenil” A, B, C, D and E were scheduled every 2 hours from 8 am to 6 pm. It was a Saturday, so I don’t know how early they start on school days. Like Catalonia, the Valencian Community has its own language, and everything appeared to have been written both in it and Spanish.

By the way, it was raining, hard at times and just a drizzle at others. But, the rain didn’t appear to have any impact on participation.

I have no idea if what we saw was for just the local area or for the entire city. Either way, it was very impressive.

My wife and I visited Valencia last September. Based on what we witnessed, the organization of the amateur program there is amazing. There is a long empty riverbed which runs almost through the middle of the city. It is wide enough for soccer fields to have been built on it. And they are. When you cross one of the bridges which span the old riverbed, there are soccer fields in both directions as far as you can see. At the top of the bridge, where you walk down the stairs to the fields, were directories, listing what time practices and games are for every age from about 6 to 18. We stopped in the middle of a bridge to watch about 3 minutes of a scrimmage of players I would estimate were 11-12. Full uniforms, with one team wearing yellow tops over their kits so you could tell the teams apart. Three officials, just like at the pro level. At least 6 coaches: Two coaching each side and two more working with the players who weren’t in the scrimmage.

While not all the teams were scrimmaging, the same level of, for want of a better word, professionalism was obvious on the other pitches we could see. The ages of the players differed, the colors of the uniforms differed and what they were practicing differed, but the number of participants seemed about the same. From looking at the directory on the bridge, practices for squads of different age and skill levels (for example, on the directory for the bridge we were on were practices for “Juvenil” A, B, C, D and E were scheduled every 2 hours from 8 am to 6 pm. It was a Saturday, so I don’t know how early they start on school days. Like Catalonia, the Valencian Community has its own language, and everything appeared to have been written both in it and Spanish.

By the way, it was raining, hard at times and just a drizzle at others. But, the rain didn’t appear to have any impact on participation.

I have no idea if what we saw was for just the local area or for the entire city. Either way, it was very impressive.

that was probably a select group in that community. valencia is the size of denver (ish). the # of coaches and referees doesn't matter - we've 2 or 3 in our moderate town in maryland. coaches referee until grade 3/4. 3 refs sounds a lot but they're probably in a mentor program in a big city. not telling.

i'd go by more on the skill. did they look like they were significantly skilled? as in, every player in his age group was eye-poppingly good?

i'd have to think it was a local club team using the filter. they had their A through E teams and were getting as many games in on a saturday as they could in the city center.

They weren’t games. They were modified scrimmages. The skill level was hard to judge because we were watching the “D” Juvenil level. But, they still were more skilled than the limited number of American players of that age I have watched play in organized soccer.

At first I thought it might be the Valencia FC youth program, but it wasn’t. I can’t recall the precise name now, but it was something like City of Valencia, Trinitat-Mirvedre Youth Organization. There were other organizations on other pitches. If you look at a map of Valencia, you can see how long and wide that (I assume) dry river bed is, and there were soccer pitches on a good stretch of it. I know because every day we walked over a different bridge and there were pitches beneath all three, running north (I think) until some public gardens, jogging paths and dog walking parks. It’s a nice city and I wish we had spent more time there, and in better weather. It’s much cheaper than Barcelona and purportedly has better weather. But, the architecture, the culture and the vibrancy that typify Barcelona are in much shorter supply.

Where those kids get ahead as compared to in the US is they play pickup every day that they dont have a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT