ADVERTISEMENT

32nd best recruiting class and Yinzers want Narduzzi/assistants fired now?

APanther

Scholarship
Oct 6, 2020
Yoi.
Let’s think this through. So 32nd best class in the country coming in. More likely than not recruits leave if HCPN or any assistant who recruited them leaves. As is often the case, recruits follow the coach who recruited them. Other alternative is they go somewhere else on their own.
Look. 32nd best is the best Pitt’s been in a long time. Make coaching changes now, you lose recruits and we re-build as we have over the past 30+ years. Haven’t you seen this movie enough?
Now is not the time to fire anybody.

What site? They’re still listed as 23rd I think on Rivals but mid 40s by average star.

And I posted this before but...

Per Rivals average stars

2021 - 2.85 (supposed to get the bounce from the division championship)

2020 - 3.06

2019 - 2.89

2018 - 3.05

Salem can’t coach or recruit his position, and the OL coach can’t either. Both need to be given their walking papers. As for Whipple, we cant run the ball, and his play calling leaves a lot to be desired. If you can’t run the ball, your one dimensional and easy to defend. He needs to go as well.

Last edited:
What site? They’re still listed as 23rd I think on Rivals but mid 40s by average star.

And I posted this before but...

Per Rivals average stars

2021 - 2.85 (supposed to get the bounce from the division championship)

2020 - 3.06

2019 - 2.89

2018 - 3.05
Great! Proves my point even more! Yinzers want to throw this away yet again?!?!?!

Reactions: DruidTM
Salem can’t coach or recruit his position, and the OL coach can’t either. Both need to be given their walking papers. As for Whipple, we cant run the ball, and his play calling leaves a lot to be desired. If you can run the ball, your one dimensional and easy to defend. He needs to go as well.
I’m ok with that so long as neither has successfully recruited kids to have Pitt as top 23, 32 recruiting class in the country. Best class in 30 years. You willing to give that up to place a bet on a number?
Perhaps later. Not now.

Great! Proves my point even more! Yinzers want to throw this away yet again?!?!?!

You’re mistaken. The only reason they’re 23rd is because of a large number of recruits relative to the other schools. Average stars is a much better measure. So it refutes your point. This next class is the same mediocre level that he’s always brought in.

Reactions: tps48
Yoi.
Let’s think this through. So 32nd best class in the country coming in. More likely than not recruits leave if HCPN or any assistant who recruited them leaves. As is often the case, recruits follow the coach who recruited them. Other alternative is they go somewhere else on their own.
Look. 32nd best is the best Pitt’s been in a long time. Make coaching changes now, you lose recruits and we re-build as we have over the past 30+ years. Haven’t you seen this movie enough?
Yes, fire home now. If we don't lose this year's recruiting class, we'll lose next year's. Get on with it and hire a real head coach.

Reactions: VJJPUNISHER
Yes, fire home now. If we don't lose this year's recruiting class, we'll lose next year's. Get on with it and hire a real head coach.

Correct. I’ve said the same before. If this class was truly loaded then maybe it’s enough to put it off. But it’s SOS.

However as pointed out several times it seems like it’ll be hard to do financially.

You’re mistaken. The only reason they’re 23rd is because of a large number of recruits relative to the other schools. Average stars is a much better measure. So it refutes your point. This next class is the same mediocre level that he’s always brought in.
I agree! You don’t move up with 3 stars.
You understand with the talent Pitt has, especially on offense, Nick Sabin couldn’t guide Pitt to better than 7-5, at best.
My only point is if you fire coach(es) who recruited a good class, you rebuild yet again. That’s what Pitt has done for 30 years!

My understanding is some of the recruits still need a full evaluation and some will get a bump based on Chris's article the other day.

I know this will happen for a lot of schools, but our year over year star average should increase vs what it is now.

We won't know until loi day and final rankings. Plus this class will have some kids come and some go.

Yoi.

I am in the camp that Duzz needs to stay and the offensive staff needs overhauled. Go get a young, innovative OC that runs a spread or gimmick offense that’s fun to play in. There is no reason why we need to be a pro style offense. It hasn’t worked and we have no TEs. How the hell can we run a pro style offense every year if we can’t recruit the TE position?

If the powers that be decide it’s time for Duzz to go, I would want Charlie Partridge to take over.

if not him, I would want them to take a run at Matt Canada and have him call plays on game day. He has the kind of mindset that he will design his offense around his players. He also has the best chance at keeping recruiting class together as he may retain key defensive staff.

You understand with the talent Pitt has, especially on offense, Nick Sabin couldn’t guide Pitt to better than 7-5, at best.
My only point is if you fire coach(es) who recruited a good class, you rebuild yet again. That’s what Pitt has done for 30 years!

Well you do start to wonder if it’s bigger than a coaching problem having gone on this long. But then you look at who the coaches were and what they did after (if anything) and it’s not like we’ve hit on anything with Chryst being a possible exception. Maybe he elevates Pitt some and maybe he ends up in the same range as everyone else and he’s barely ever heard from again. Clearly he’s doing some good at Wiscy.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
My understanding is some of the recruits still need a full evaluation and some will get a bump based on Chris's article the other day.

I know this will happen for a lot of schools, but our year over year star average should increase vs what it is now.

We won't know until loi day and final rankings. Plus this class will have some kids come and some go.

Yea that’s fair and I know it’s not final. But I suspect (but don’t know) that there won’t be some great leap.

Who from this class do you really like? I mean, I'll take Donald, Johnson, and Khalil Anderson any day of the week. But let's be honest: Those types of guys come through here all the time. None of this will matter until we find a head coach who can recruit and develop a great quarterback. This vaunted defense Narduzzi has assembled is giving up 34.25 points/game ever since the schedule reached a point where we're playing teams that aren't a combined 3-14. If this was the Bedrock Football League, I'd be all about keeping Fred Flintsone as our head coach. But that's just not how modern football is played.

With the way players transfer now a days, a recruiting class is no reason to keep a coach. With that said Duzz is not getting fired. The finances are not there and I also question the higher ups desire too.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
Yet another avg recruiting class, no different then any other class the last twenty years should have zero influence on our current coaching situation.

Reactions: BFo8
Yoi.

Imagine pimping a recruiting class outside the top 25 as a reason to keep a coach. Just LOL.

Aren't the coaches responsible for bringing in that talent? I certainly don't see people giving the Pirates GM a pass if he signs a terrible contract or makes a bad trade.

Reactions: IntrospectiveYinzer
yeah, and break it down to avg star ratings and it's in the 40s. lets use this as a key factor in our present and future coaching issues.

I thought we were only allowed to do the average star thing when it made us look good, like in 2018 and 2020. Lol.. yeah, there really isn't anything special about this class as a whole. It has some nice pieces, but most of them do. It's pretty consistent with our usual so-so class... just bigger.

Pitt recruiting is middle of the road in the Coastal. Look at percentage of the class rated 5.7 stars and above by Rivals. Pitt is in 4th place in a 7 team division. Mediocre results. And skewed to the D line. Pitt needs elites on the O.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Pitt recruiting is middle of the road in the Coastal. Look at percentage of the class rated 5.7 stars and above by Rivals. Pitt is in 4th place in a 7 team division. Mediocre results. And skewed to the D line. Pitt needs elites on the O.

Pitt needs to start taking the Wanny approach with DLine recruits and start moving a few to Oline like Maleki and Pinckston and a few others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT