ADVERTISEMENT

40 and glasses .

the second i turned 40, only print. wth
you guys are great. Its fun aging together as Pitt fans .

I think it was 45 for me. It sucks in the smart phone era having to reach for the glasses every time just to read a text. I sued to have eagle eyes too.

Edit: used not sued, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: johnsbe3
be nice to each other.
life goes fast.
idk, your mum would want you to be respectful. smiley face

Last edited:
College Football blows now, but i will always remember the good times going to Heinz Field and rooting for Pitt. I know those days are over but the men on this board will keep that memory alive.

look at this young bastard.

I enjoy people sometimes.
I’ve worn glasses since the third grade, but never for reading. I’m 77 and still don’t need bifocals. I actually take off my glasses to read because that eliminates any glare.
what is your life like ? are you in Ca ?

I’ve worn glasses since the third grade, but never for reading. I’m 77 and still don’t need bifocals. I actually take off my glasses to read because that eliminates any glare.

I'm pretty much the same. I started wearing glasses in 7th grade, but at 60 if I am sitting down to read something or sitting at a computer, either at home or at work, the first thing I do is to take my glasses off.

When I turned 40 it was like my eyes were magically improved. My far sight improved. Now my near sight is starting to go.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
i posted about retina surgery i had done severalweeks ago when somehow it became - without trauma- attached. When i was 66 my eyes were perfect except for reading glasses needed for small print. Two years later had cat surgery on same eye three weeks ago for retina reattachmnet. Right now i am only seeing with right eye and it isa slow process because they filled my eye up with a gas bubble to heal the retina. Enjoy your vision. . I will never complain about a bad back anymore with an eye patch and fifty percent vision for the near future before it hopefully healsot ,. . Lot of anxiety and depression especially with summer vacations in the. Balance

This entire thread feels like a personal attack. I just turned 40 last year and I don't think I'll ever forget a few months ago the first time I caught myself pulling a book away from my face to see it clearly. I still haven't picked that damn book back up since, I will probably burn it.

Reactions: mike412
I started wearing glasses at 30 and hearing aids at 60…. It’s hell getting older…☹️

Tip: For reading small print on labels and stuff like that, I just use my phone camera and zoom in.

For me it was when I hit 45. Almost instantly I couldn’t read small print.

Glasses at 12.

Bifocals at 40.

Cataracts and lens replacement at 70.

Now my distance vision is back to 20/20 and 20/30 uncorrected but I need a 2.5 diopter lens to read.

All in all - I'll take it.

Glasses at 12.
I don't know how you did it, I lived with perfect vision for 60 years, couldn't even stand to wear sunglasses, now I need cheaters to read and do small jobs so much trouble. To be honest, it makes me appreciate my teammates growing up in all the different sports who competed with bad eyesight, some of them on a very high level.

I don't know how you did it, I lived with perfect vision for 60 years, couldn't even stand to wear sunglasses, now I need cheaters to read and do small jobs so much trouble. To be honest, it makes me appreciate my teammates growing up in all the different sports who competed with bad eyesight, some of them on a very high level.
I remember the guys that had to wear the rec specs and games being stopped to find a contact. Never really appreciated having good vision until the doctor told me I needed these stupid transitions.

Reactions: Parkview57
Got my glasses in second grade after the school nurse sent a note home to my parents. I remember my Mom asking me why I didn’t tell her I was having trouble seeing. Hell, I didn’t know it was possible to see better.
Wearing glasses has never been an issue for me. I’ve been told many times I have a face made for radio.

What made god say, hey no longer shall you see print well at 40 .
16 years old in my case......no big deal. I'm 76 now. All the young dudes on this board can now look forward to knee replacements and prostate cancer.....all of which I've had. Life is still sweet! Smile and stay well young men....stay well.

16 years old in my case......no big deal. I'm 76 now. All the young dudes on this board can now look forward to knee replacements and prostate cancer.....all of which I've had. Life is still sweet! Smile and stay well young men....stay well.
Well said, young man. At 79 with two knee replacements and a hip replacement coming, I share your attitude.

As far as vision goes--have needed glasses for distance vision since age 13 or so; but still read print quite well without glasses. Grateful not to need bifocals!!!

Reactions: vantheman1976
I have worn glasses for years but hit 45 this year and the drop to needing progressive lenses has been precipitous.

I could read the entire eye chart and I was pretty arrogant about it, lol

Now I can’t see anything up close or in any kind of dim lighting
This! Why can’t I read a restaurant menu when the lights are dimmed? It’s like my eyes say it’s not bright enough in here so we are going to make everything you read out of focus.

On a side note I have a friend who has these extremely thin little readers attached to his cell phone case. they are no fatter than 2 credit cards, and he said they are life changing.

i posted about retina surgery i had done severalweeks ago when somehow it became - without trauma- attached. When i was 66 my eyes were perfect except for reading glasses needed for small print. Two years later had cat surgery on same eye three weeks ago for retina reattachmnet. Right now i am only seeing with right eye and it isa slow process because they filled my eye up with a gas bubble to heal the retina. Enjoy your vision. . I will never complain about a bad back anymore with an eye patch and fifty percent vision for the near future before it hopefully healsot ,. . Lot of anxiety and depression especially with summer vacations in the. Balance
Count your blessings my friend. I’m being serious. It could be worse. While you’re dealing with that my wife is dealing with an occular mass (melanoma), and is currently going through similar symptoms, the threat of retinal detachment on top of it, and the depression of possible metastasis at any moment.

Got my glasses in second grade after the school nurse sent a note home to my parents. I remember my Mom asking me why I didn’t tell her I was having trouble seeing. Hell, I didn’t know it was possible to see better.
Wearing glasses has never been an issue for me. I’ve been told many times I have a face made for radio.
That’s what happened to me. I didn’t start school until 2d grade. We lived on Oakland Avenue and my mother took me to get a library card when I was 5. I used to go to the Children’s Library at Carnegie Library and read every day. In what should have been Kindergarten, half a day; in what should have been first grade, 6 hours a day.

When we moved, I started Colfax Elementary in 2d grade. Alphabetically, I sat in the first row and could see everything on the blackboard fine. In third grade, the teacher seated us alphabetically front to back instead of left to right. I was in the last row instead of the first row. I couldn’t read anything. Teacher realized what was happening and told my parents I needed glasses.

This! Why can’t I read a restaurant menu when the lights are dimmed? It’s like my eyes say it’s not bright enough in here so we are going to make everything you read out of focus.

On a side note I have a friend who has these extremely thin little readers attached to his cell phone case. they are no fatter than 2 credit cards, and he said they are life changing.
Literally every bar/restaurant is so dim and i can’t see the menu or the check. Ugh.

I have to look for something, maybe I can find what your friend got. I’m not wearing reading glasses at the bar lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT