ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Seems like more sporting events are being shot in 4K. Is it really that noticeable to pay a monthly 4K fee? I mean going from standard def to HD was a game-changer. I see 4K as a slighg upgrade that most people wouldn't really notice. Am I wrong?

Seems like more sporting events are being shot in 4K. Is it really that noticeable to pay a monthly 4K fee? I mean going from standard def to HD was a game-changer. I see 4K as a slighg upgrade that most people wouldn't really notice. Am I wrong?
Not all 4K is truly 4K. Depends on how it is shot and if it is upscaled or using actual 4K cameras. 4K Blu-ray or on Directv looks great. 4K on Netflix or Disney+ etc is throttled so it’s not full quality either.

But I watched a few football games this year, the Duke/UNC basketball game, etc and they all looked fantastic. HDR is, in some cases, more noticeable that the fact that it is 4K in and of itself.

(Also, interestingly, for the Duke UNC game there were no commercials… they just had a camera feed from rafters during TV timeouts showing the whole arena and the band/cheerleader routines etc which was kind of interesting)

Most of the Avalanche games are in 4K and I’ve watched some of those too (not an Avs fan, just watching due to quality and liking hockey) but I think their broadcast must be up scaled and not true 4K.

Your TV will also have an impact here. A nice OLED from LG or Sony looks way better than the fake Samsung QLED, a Vizio, Hisense, etc or some other off brand. I’ll never buy a non OLED until some newer technology comes along.

Reactions: SteelCityChamps
Not all 4K is truly 4K. Depends on how it is shot and if it is upscaled or using actual 4K cameras. 4K Blu-ray or on Directv looks great. 4K on Netflix or Disney+ etc is throttled so it’s not full quality either.

But I watched a few football games this year, the Duke/UNC basketball game, etc and they all looked fantastic. HDR is, in some cases, more noticeable that the fact that it is 4K in and of itself.

(Also, interestingly, for the Duke UNC game there were no commercials… they just had a camera feed from rafters during TV timeouts showing the whole arena and the band/cheerleader routines etc which was kind of interesting)

Most of the Avalanche games are in 4K and I’ve watched some of those too (not an Avs fan, just watching due to quality and liking hockey) but I think their broadcast must be up scaled and not true 4K.

Your TV will also have an impact here. A nice OLED from LG or Sony looks way better than the fake Samsung QLED, a Vizio, Hisense, etc or some other off brand. I’ll never buy a non OLED until some newer technology comes along.
I have an LG OLED. It says I'm getting 4K thru Comcast. Am I not?

I have an LG OLED. It says I'm getting 4K thru Comcast. Am I not?
I don’t know about Comcast but I’d be surprised if they had much of anything. Not due to Comcast itself, but because there still isn’t much in 4K these days.

Directv has 5 channels in 4K. One that has stuff playing 24/7, two that are generally used for Live Events (sports, some concerts). On those 3 channels, they broadcast the Olympics in 4K, and this is where you’d find the Avalanche games, Notre Dame football, whatever sports that ESPN or Fox choose to broadcast in 4K, which is still not a ton, etc.

Then they have two PPV movie channels.

Last, there is some on demand stuff too - some free, some paid.

The vast majority of stuff is still broadcast in 720p or 1080i (there still isn’t network TV even in 1080p for the most part).

For added context, this is whats on in 4K over the next few days…

Blues vs Blackhawks and Pelicans vs Lakers today. Hornets vs Bucks tomorrow. Islanders vs Avalanche on Tuesday. Thunder vs Nuggets on Wednesday. Duke vs UNC on Saturday (not sure about anything on Thursday or Friday bc it just says TBA)

There are generally a couple of college football games on Saturdays during the season, and the Thursday night NFL games. But the NFL didnt even have the Super Bowl in 4K this year, and none of the 1pm or 4pm games are in 4K.

Samsung isnt an off brand.

But, you are spot on. The 4k really depends on the quality of your TV, your connection, the throttling of your provider, the cables you use in your home and connection, and a lot of other things (like tv size, distance of your eyes from the screen). 4k, is much more vivid. So, if you have no issues, it will be better than standard HD

Samsung isnt an off brand.

But, you are spot on. The 4k really depends on the quality of your TV, your connection, the throttling of your provider, the cables you use in your home and connection, and a lot of other things (like tv size, distance of your eyes from the screen). 4k, is much more vivid. So, if you have no issues, it will be better than standard HD
I didn’t mean Samsung or Vizio were off brands, sorry. Meant just to add “other” to the list. But the fact that Samsung uses (IMO) cleverly deceptive QLED to make it “look” like it’s similar to OLED is comical, and I’m sure a little confusing to the average consumer.

I didn’t mean Samsung or Vizio were off brands, sorry. Meant just to add “other” to the list. But the fact that Samsung uses (IMO) cleverly deceptive QLED to make it “look” like it’s similar to OLED is comical, and I’m sure a little confusing to the average consumer.

Yes, agreed, OLED is insane. About 20 years ago we had OLED tech to have flexible displays for soldiers in theater, and although that use still hasnt reached the market, the funds put into this project propelled the market for our viewing pleasure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT