ADVERTISEMENT

6-0 & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** In Jeff Capel’s first six seasons at the helm of the Hoops program, only once has he started a season 6-0.

** For the record, that 6-0 start occurred during his first season when unfortunately, the Panthers finished 8-19 the rest of the way.

** This even included a 2-2 start in the ACC that year, followed by a 1-13 league finish.

** Nonetheless, it’s been a bit too typical to expect some slow starts from Capel’s crew.

** And even if you don’t necessarily want to term all of his results as slow starts, it’s certainly most accurate to proclaim that he’s had his share of head scratching, if not downright infuriating, losses in the early going.

** Sure, we all know that the Panthers were able to overcome the dreadful 1-3 start two seasons ago to eventually find themselves in the NCAA Tournament.

** But last year’s loss to a surely inferior Missouri squad may have indeed been the difference between dancing and lamenting.

** I’ve already proclaimed that I think this can be a pretty exciting season. A top 25 season. A Sweet 16 season even.

** For the our Panthers to have this kind of season, it starts by starting 6-0. No excuses this time.

** In that first six, we can’t afford a slip up against a foe such as Murray State, and we have to take care of business against the hated Hoopies.

** Finally, in our trip to Sulphur Springs, I think it’s also key to to tackle the Tigers in the opener

** That’s 6-0.

** That’s the kind of start which will get the fanbase, not to mention the College Basketball world, appropriately paying attention.

** After all, on this wonderful Panther evening, Pitt fans should certainly understand the power of a 6-0 start. If nothing else, a start like this makes it feel as if anything is possible.

** After 6-0, I believe we can settle for a stumble against the Badgers, Buckeyes, or the Bulldogs and still stand as tall. One stumble that is. Two not so much.

** I confess that talking about 6-0 and 10-1 starts really only serves to build Panther Hooper Hype. The better conversation is a realistic assessment whether or not we can get there.

** Amsel’s broken hand puts a little dabble of doubt on the dream.

** Regardless, compared to our last two campaigns, I also believe this team goes into the season already knowing who they are instead of who they want to be.

** Two years ago, the team needed to rid itself of the influence of John Hugley before they could began their trek of truly being the best team they could be. And once that happened and the threes started flying, the wins started piling.

** Last year, once Jaland Lowe got his freshmen legs under him, so did the Panthers. Of course, we also know this didn’t happen until perhaps just a little too late.

** For our Panthers to start 6-0 and 10-1, no such transformations seem necessary. In fact, we likely only need our players to be the ones we already know they are.

** From there, my hope is the eventual emergence of Delalic becomes the turbo charger enabling a later jump from good to great in those final 20 regular season games.

** But let’s close this night with a huge congratulations to the Panther team who is already 6-0. I’m so pleased and proud of what we’ve been able to enjoy on the gridiron thus far. It’s been a blast.

** I’m also hopeful that today’s 17-15 result might even inspire a retort from @17-15, which if I recall correctly, is an homage to a result of the past.

** Congratulations also to Sam Clancy, my very first ever Panther Hoops hero.

** And even with losses by our #1 men’s soccer and #1 women’s volleyball team, the only good way to sign off this evening is with a proud HTP!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.