ADVERTISEMENT

A bit off topic...Hillgrove and Tunch

Saboteur

All Conference
Jan 15, 2015
Many places. but not all
Driving around Columbus today listening to the Steelers.
Hillgrove was better than usual....is his Pitt game calling better?
But goodness.... does Tunch get paid by the word? The guy never shuts up...never....the shortest measurable time period is the span between his last outburst and his next one.
I'm old enough to remember Johnny Sauer. He spoke intelligently and when he could improve the play for the listener. Tunch and his sideline pal would force a parrot into exile.

Johnny Sauer was the best color man ever. It was a pleasure listening to his work. You could learn something from his account. I learned by listening to him that you can't run a screen pass against a zone defense. No hype. No extra words. He was simply the best.

Man you miserable yinzers complain about everything.
The announcing team is beloved in every city I've ever been in except Shittsburgh.

Hillgrove will be 77 next week. Who is going to replace him when he retires/gets pushed out in the next few years? There is no Hillgrove waiting in the wings like there was when Fleming was eased out. All of the local guys except Greg Brown are old.

Losing Hilgrove is a valid concern, but the guy from Mexico who does Steelers games on Telemundo in espanol would be a great replacement. Really loves Los Steelers.

Hillgrove will be 77 next week. Who is going to replace him when he retires/gets pushed out in the next few years? There is no Hillgrove waiting in the wings like there was when Fleming was eased out. All of the local guys except Greg Brown are old.

Kinda off topic, but i’m not feeling Steve Mears. Lange and Steigy had some personality, Mears seems very much by the book.

I hope the transition from Hilgrove to the next guy is easier for the Steelers and Pitt.

Reactions: Saboteur
The announcing team is beloved in every city I've ever been in except Shittsburgh.
Well, when you're listening to a game and not watching it, the quality of the announcers is an issue.
But I'm sure you follow your teams by reading the ticker tape, n'est pas?
So what would you possibly know?

Driving around Columbus today listening to the Steelers.
Hillgrove was better than usual....is his Pitt game calling better?
But goodness.... does Tunch get paid by the word? The guy never shuts up...never....the shortest measurable time period is the span between his last outburst and his next one.
I'm old enough to remember Johnny Sauer. He spoke intelligently and when he could improve the play for the listener. Tunch and his sideline pal would force a parrot into exile.
I listened Hillgrove driving on the turnpike during the Virginia game. First time I listened in several years. Several years ago he struggled with down and distance. Now he struggles with down, distance, clock, fumble recovery, day of the week, penalty speculation etc. mightily. Osborn, says "Billy,.... 'error correction goes here' " about forty times a game. I am guessing he gets a lot more help on the Steelers games...with all that being said, who the hell cares? May he stay on until his last breath as legends should. One would guess those limeys would not ask for Big Ben to be being taken down because it was not keeping time that well anymore so I say Billy forever.....

I listened Hillgrove driving on the turnpike during the Virginia game. First time I listened in several years. Several years ago he struggled with down and distance. Now he struggles with down, distance, clock, fumble recovery, day of the week, penalty speculation etc. mightily. Osborn, says "Billy,.... 'error correction goes here' " about forty times a game. I am guessing he gets a lot more help on the Steelers games...with all that being said, who the hell cares? May he stay on until his last breath as legends should. One would guess those limeys would not ask for Big Ben to be being taken down because it was not keeping time that well anymore so I say Billy forever.....
Listening to the radio is strictly a car event these days. Especially where sports are concerned. If you want to lose your audience, test their patience.

Johnny Sauer was the best color man ever. It was a pleasure listening to his work. You could learn something from his account. I learned by listening to him that you can't run a screen pass against a zone defense. No hype. No extra words. He was simply the best.

Yes, Johnny was the best color man ever. Myron for the Steelers was just Yinzer schtick but it worked here.

And Hillgrove has always been an anchorman/sports reporter. He should have never switched to play by play, especially on radio. Two totally different skill sets. He was very good behind the sports desk, but behind the mic he never got the hang of it after 40 years and it ain't getting any better that's for sure.

Hillgrove is a living legend. I get sick of aholes on here and other venues cheap shoting the guy. He s been doing this for almost 50 years. Yes he makes occasional mistakes but he deserves our respect and support. You people literally make me sick.

Hillgrove is a living legend. I get sick of aholes on here and other venues cheap shoting the guy. He s been doing this for almost 50 years. Yes he makes occasional mistakes but he deserves our respect and support. You people literally make me sick.
I agree but ive read enough threads on this board with regards to announcers/broadcasters and well according to pantherlair posters, EVERYONE sucks. I mean you name it, they suck. Romo, Simms, Lundquist, Madden, Nance, Collinsworth, everyone sucks. ANd not only to pantherlair posters say they suck, but they are so dramatic about it saying that "they cant even listen to it" and how it ruins their whole day.

Yes, Johnny was the best color man ever. Myron for the Steelers was just Yinzer schtick but it worked here.

And Hillgrove has always been an anchorman/sports reporter. He should have never switched to play by play, especially on radio. Two totally different skill sets. He was very good behind the sports desk, but behind the mic he never got the hang of it after 40 years and it ain't getting any better that's for sure.

And Hillgrove has always been an anchorman/sports reporter. He should have never switched to play by play, especially on radio...uh, that was 43 years ago...the man has been the play by play guy for Pitt since the Dorsett era and doing for the steelers for 23 years..I think he made the right career choice. Not sure how anyone listening to him in his prime could feel that way. He was great. Looooose Footbal !!!

I think Hillgrove is beloved here and people appreciate his contributions. But, he makes a TON of mistakes. He has become Pat Summerall. At some point soon, he needs to retire before he becomes Dick Clark messing up the New Year's Eve countdown.

I think Hillgrove is beloved here and people appreciate his contributions. But, he makes a TON of mistakes. He has become Pat Summerall. At some point soon, he needs to retire before he becomes Dick Clark counting down to New Year Eve backwards.
Summerall was not a local radio guy either. Additionally, Hillgrove would drink Summerall under the table (and that is saying something!) so that endears me to him also.... Mistake, smistakes I say, Osborn cleans up the mess.

Kinda off topic, but i’m not feeling Steve Mears. Lange and Steigy had some personality, Mears seems very much by the book.

I hope the transition from Hilgrove to the next guy is easier for the Steelers and Pitt.

On the other hand, I've kind of liked Josh Getsoff (so?) filling in for Lange on the radio. Good chemistry with Borque and calls the action more fluidly than Lange does at this stage of his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT