ADVERTISEMENT

A couple interesting tidbits I’ve picked up

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Of course take these with a grain of salt, just going over some things I’ve heard:

* Pitt is looking to fill the scholarship but leaning towards a shooter. They feel pretty comfortable with the ball handlers on the roster, Pantherlair poster feelings notwithstanding, and would lean towards shooting. That’s why they were mentioned with Mulchacy who I think may be priced too high.

* the portal is closed, but there will be a few grad transfers coming in every day. I’d look for some Prep shooters as a possibility too. I’d bet we don’t see any real traction on the last scholarship until late July.

* the RUMOR is Meleek Thomas will be moving on from Lincoln Park, most likely to IMG.

* It is a ways away, but I’ve heard that Thomas is trending towards Pitt a bit. I didn’t think they had any shot before last season, but winning and Capel most likely being here for his one season in his hometown is appealing. Now whether or not Bickell can offer what a Kentucky, Duke etc can…

* I think it’s best if he goes away for HS. It puts him in a position to miss Pittsburgh and want to come home to be the hometown kid. Could be a guy who decides he wants to see what else is out there if he stays at Lincoln Park.

Thought those two pieces of info were post worthy

Thomas would be the biggest recruiting win Pitt has had (any sport) in a long, long time. Don’t know if I agree with the “better for Pitt if he goes away” bit - feels Hood-Schifino-y - but I see where you’re coming from.

Thomas would be the biggest recruiting win Pitt has had (any sport) in a long, long time. Don’t know if I agree with the “better for Pitt if he goes away” bit - feels Hood-Schifino-y - but I see where you’re coming from.
Hood Schifino left way earlier and Pitt had zero momentum at that time though.

I think it’ll simply come down to whether or Not Pitt can get close in NIL to the biggest names in the biz.

Also while Hood Schifino is most likely a first round pick… Thomas projects to be a MUCH better player than him. Hood Schifino will be a good rotational piece to possible starter in the league.

Meleek will be one of the dozen or so guys with the ball in his hands.

It would be the biggest recruiting win since Dan Marino, imo.

Of course take these with a grain of salt, just going over some things I’ve heard:

* Pitt is looking to fill the scholarship but leaning towards a shooter. They feel pretty comfortable with the ball handlers on the roster, Pantherlair poster feelings notwithstanding, and would lean towards shooting. That’s why they were mentioned with Mulchacy who I think may be priced too high.

* the portal is closed, but there will be a few grad transfers coming in every day. I’d look for some Prep shooters as a possibility too. I’d bet we don’t see any real traction on the last scholarship until late July.

* the RUMOR is Meleek Thomas will be moving on from Lincoln Park, most likely to IMG.

* It is a ways away, but I’ve heard that Thomas is trending towards Pitt a bit. I didn’t think they had any shot before last season, but winning and Capel most likely being here for his one season in his hometown is appealing. Now whether or not Bickell can offer what a Kentucky, Duke etc can…

* I think it’s best if he goes away for HS. It puts him in a position to miss Pittsburgh and want to come home to be the hometown kid. Could be a guy who decides he wants to see what else is out there if he stays at Lincoln Park.

Ill add what I said previously in that, I think we have a very legit chance with Alier Maluk too who is real high on us.

And I think Thomas has had Pitt close to or at the top of his list for quite some time. That doesn't mean he is a lock obviously, but its a good place to be for now.

Ill add what I said previously in that, I think we have a very legit chance with Alier Maluk too who is real high on us.

And I think Thomas has had Pitt close to or at the top of his list for quite some time. That doesn't mean he is a lock obviously, but its a good place to be for now.
Alier hasn’t gotten any better since 8th grade. Not sure he will unless he plays better than A ball.

Reactions: joeydavid
Alier hasn’t gotten any better since 8th grade. Not sure he will unless he plays better than A ball.

He's been respectable in the EYBL and is the defensive shot blocking center that can rebound. Anyway, I think him not putting up big stats is a good thing to keep schools like Kentucky away from him. I want him.

He's been respectable in the EYBL and is the defensive shot blocking center that can rebound. Anyway, I think him not putting up big stats is a good thing to keep schools like Kentucky away from him. I want him.
Meh. He wants to play the 3. His rankings are dropping like a rock for that reason. I’d take him, but it won’t be a big loss if they don’t get him. He’s a solid prospect but they can get better

Reactions: Ski11585
Meh. He wants to play the 3. His rankings are dropping like a rock for that reason. I’d take him, but it won’t be a big loss if they don’t get him. He’s a solid prospect but they can get better

He has no chance at the 3 or at the 4 at the college level. I do think he is going to be 7'0 or over by the time he gets to college.

I dont see his ranking falling below top 50 nationally. But that is my opinion as of today. He's averaging 7ppg and 9rpg in under 17 minutes of playing time, his rebound stats are dominant. His shooting percentage needs to come way up but the raw talent is there. On the defensive side, he is pretty elite.

He has no chance at the 3 or at the 4 at the college level. I do think he is going to be 7'0 or over by the time he gets to college.

I dont see his ranking falling below top 50 nationally. But that is my opinion as of today. He's averaging 7ppg and 9rpg in under 17 minutes of playing time, his rebound stats are dominant. His shooting percentage needs to come way up but the raw talent is there. On the defensive side, he is pretty elite.
That’s the problem though. You, me and any sane individual would look at a bam adabayo and say wow he makes a lot of money. That could be Alier. His people train him like Kevin Durant.

Also AAU is glorified pickup

Reactions: pittchagg

I would lean to a shooter too and Mulcahy is not coming here.

Don’t know how much the Cummings family is in his ear, but it can only be a good thing. Their love of the program and what it means to be one of the catalysts for the programs reascension is infectious.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Don’t know how much the Cummings family is in his ear, but it can only be a good thing. Their love of the program and what it means to be one of the catalysts for the programs reascension is infectious.

I would say its enough to stay in his ear but not to press him. Its a very good thing when you have a recruit visiting 4, 5, 6 times etc.. in a years time. Players like Hugley and Barnes visited here constantly before actually committing here.

With regard to Thomas, he visited here over 10 times in the last year in a half or so and I documented a lot of those visits on this forum. A decent chunk of those visits Cummings was with him. And Alier Maluk was also with these 2 players numerous times attending games on these visits.

What's going on with Larry Johnson and Pitt?

I cant see Thomas leaving Pgh for HS and then coming back for college. I mean, ok, if we outbid everyone but can we? Very, very doubtful. That said, though he'd be a good momentum get and good player, he's going to be a 15 PPG guy and 1 and done. At the college level, the best mid-major 23 year old transfers would be just as good. Before you jump all over me, let me clarify. The guy 23 year old averaging 18 PPG in the Missouri Valley would make a similar amount of impact to an ACC team as the 10th ranked HS player.

I cant see Thomas leaving Pgh for HS and then coming back for college. I mean, ok, if we outbid everyone but can we? Very, very doubtful. That said, though he'd be a good momentum get and good player, he's going to be a 15 PPG guy and 1 and done. At the college level, the best mid-major 23 year old transfers would be just as good. Before you jump all over me, let me clarify. The guy 23 year old averaging 18 PPG in the Missouri Valley would make a similar amount of impact to an ACC team as the 10th ranked HS player.
Saying that a Missouri Valley grad transfer would be as impactful as Thomas, who has a real shot of being the #1 recruit in the country, is a blistering one.

Reactions: jpklein

Pretty sure Duke just kicked the titties off our roster full of old men, and I'm pretty sure their top four scorers that game were freshmen.

Saying that a Missouri Valley grad transfer would be as impactful as Thomas, who has a real shot of being the #1 recruit in the country, is a blistering one.

If he is the #1 recruit, then obviously he would be much better than the MVC guy. But the #10 HS recruit aint much better in a college basketball game than one of the best players in the MVC.

Honestly, does Pitt have a realistic shot at the #1 recruit in the country? How are we gonna offer anywhere close to the NIL money that some other schools can throw at him?

I think Thomas going way for HS is a double edged sword ... it could make him miss home and the Pittsburgh region, but it could make him improve as a prospect and put him out of Pitt's reach.

If he is the #1 recruit, then obviously he would be much better than the MVC guy. But the #10 HS recruit aint much better in a college basketball game than one of the best players in the MVC.

Not all high school basketball classes are created equal. Some are far better and deeper than others, and that includes NBA talent.

Its a little different because the 2025 class has 3 insanely talented players in Boozer, Flagg, and Peat and 2 really good players in Peterson and Thomas followed by a bunch of other quite talented players with a few of them right on Peterson and Thomas heels.

Boozer and Flagg are literally breaking EYBL records. Points, points per game, FG % etc... An Elite level rebounding player in the EYBL would be around 8+ rebounds per game and that would be good enough for around top 5-8 in the entire EYBL circuit most years at worst. These 2 are averaging just under 13 rebounds per game. They would be the top 2 players in the country in most classes and Thomas has zero chance to pass either of them. Zero, none. as in, forget about it. Boozer is shooting over 70% which is beyond incredible. As a 6' 10 center he is averaging 9 assists per game which is even more incredible. Then we have Flagg scoring just under 30 points per game while averaging 5 assists per game.

We would be very fortunate to get Thomas. He is really good.

We would also be fortunate to get Maluk.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
"without" shoes

For some reason that important piece of information was left out of the headline.
Huh? For a true measurement of height, it's always done without shoes. That's how the doctor does it at least, and how college athletic programs do it.

Huh? For a true measurement of height, it's always done without shoes. That's how the doctor does it at least, and how college athletic programs do it.

Well sure it is. But players play with shoes and all recruiting website are using list heights with shoes.

College programs list kids by height with shoes, generally speaking.

Is Thomas a talent upgrade over Dior Johnson? I ask because wasn’t Johnson the #1 rated PG going into his senior year?

Is Thomas a talent upgrade over Dior Johnson? I ask because wasn’t Johnson the #1 rated PG going into his senior year?
I’m bullish on Dior if he’s focused and out of trouble. Thomas is a top of the NBA draft type of talent. He’s a legit superstar.

Reactions: Pitt2009

Maleek Thomas has potential to be the number 1 player in his class and will definitely be a Top 5 player.

He projects to be a lottery pick and NBA all star.

Dior slipped to around the Top 50 by the end of his senior year and doesn’t have the measurables to be an NBA lock.

Not to say Dior isn’t a legit talent - he is. But Thomas is just different.

College programs list kids by height with shoes, generally speaking.
Interesting, I thought high schools would do that, but that colleges did it more accurately. I thought colleges would do it combine-style (i.e., a true measurement without shoes on).

It depends how you are asking that question.

Because Thomas isn't a point guard right now. He is much more of a SG or even an undersized wing than a point guard. And he still has turnover problems. Passing is respectable, no where near elite. Can he play point? Well, he can, he is a legit NBA talent. But he isn't close to a high end college level "point guard" right now. He can be a scoring point guard in the future with further development in both his passing ability and cleaning up his turnovers while showing he can be the main ball handler with a high usage rate in doing so.

Is Thomas more talented than Dior? Absolutely.

Interesting, I thought high schools would do that, but that colleges did it more accurately. I thought colleges would do it combine-style (i.e., a true measurement without shoes on).
Until this year, the combine measured kids both with shoes and without. Usually added about an inch, give or take.

More broadly, colleges are going to report the number that they feel is most advantageous to them tbh

It depends how you are asking that question.

Because Thomas isn't a point guard right now. He is much more of a SG or even an undersized wing than a point guard. And he still has turnover problems. Passing is respectable, no where near elite. Can he play point? Well, he can, he is a legit NBA talent. But he isn't close to a high end college level "point guard" right now. He can be a scoring point guard in the future with further development in both his passing ability and cleaning up his turnovers while showing he can be the main ball handler with a high usage rate in doing so.

Is Thomas more talented than Dior? Absolutely.

I also think Dior Johnson is being undervalued both by recruiting agencies and in general by the overall basketball community in terms of talent. He is a bucket getter with high level EYBL numbers across the board that really hurt himself with poor decisions in the past and transferring a lot.

He isn't the most athletic player. He is getting docked by that in the recruiting networks. He also isn't the most highly rated player as in 5 star because of his size too.

Well, Cam Thomas wasn't the most athletic player or tallest player and also got docked for it in his recruiting ranking despite embarrassing 5 star players repeatedly at the EYBL. And Thomas came out the gate averaging 23 points per game in college as a freshmen making a lot of people who ranked him poorly look bad.

Im not saying Dior is Cam Thomas. I am saying he is going to put up substantial numbers this year as a freshmen.

There is heavy correlation in terms of what you do in the EYBL and what you do at the college level. Players that dominate in the EYBL with quality numbers without fluff hype put numbers up in college in most cases.

He’s the #4 recruit in the country right now, and he’s closer to #1 than #10.

And if he ends up Top 5, he would be better than the Bradley transfer who averaged 18. There is a pretty steep drop when you go outside the Top 3-5. The Top 3-5 are often Top 3-5 NBA picks. The #10 guy may be late 1st or even 2nd Round. Still a good player to have but not a guy who would make a much bigger impact than the Bradley dude who has no shot at the NBA

And if he ends up Top 5, he would be better than the Bradley transfer who averaged 18. There is a pretty steep drop when you go outside the Top 3-5. The Top 3-5 are often Top 3-5 NBA picks. The #10 guy may be late 1st or even 2nd Round. Still a good player to have but not a guy who would make a much bigger impact than the Bradley dude who has no shot at the NBA

This 2025 recruit class assuming no reclassifications is on course with the 2007 class that featured OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, Mike Beasley, Eric Gordon, etc..

The 2007 class, 5 of the freshmen were in the top 7 NBA picks overall.

And all along here, Im probably underestimating Bryson Tiller who could jump Meleek Thomas and if AJ Dybansta in 2026 reclasses he is 100% jumping Thomas and Peterson and might make a run at Flagg and Boozer.

The 2025 class at the top is a power class. You cant compare it with normal classes because it is vastly superior at the top.

Thomas is going to find it challenging holding a top 5 position and its not because Thomas isn't good enough, its because the class that he is in is superior.

If Thomas is a "1 and done" type player, why should he care if Pitt is paying him, say, 2/3rds of what Duke or some blue blood is willing to pay him for one year? Not to sound naive about it - I know most will want to pocket as much as possible - but OTOH we're not talking about that much in the scheme of things if he's going to be in the NBA after one college season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT