ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of things...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
- If I'm the ACC, I make sure that the University of Notre Dame is quite aware of just how much they owe the Atlantic Coast Conference. The reality of it is, the ACC bent over backwards to help Notre Dame have a football season this year. If it wasn't for ACC, Notre Dame may have played 4 or 5 games against a bunch of teams from the FCS and NCAA D-II levels, IF they were interested in playing Notre Dame. By doing what they did, the ACC legitimized Notre Dame's schedule for this year. They also gave them an legit opportunity to have a chance to play in the National Championship Playoffs. Without the ACC's help. Notre Dame is probably 5-0 and sitting at home over the upcoming holidays, wondering what could have been for them.
It's time for the Irish to given serious consideration to joining the ACC as a complete member.

-The nfl looks really bad right now. All season long, they have postponed or rescheduled games when the Coronavirus made a visit to nfl teams. They really didn't need to do what they did, because there are 50+ players available on each team. The teams who had the issues just play the game with the players that tested negative. Did the nfl do that??? No, they did not.
What they did was arbitrarily rescheduled games that they knew had playoff level teams and/or nfl super stars on them. Was this done to maintain a competitive balance? was this done to help the league pull in more money?
It just seems rather questionable to watch them cater to the needs of the Titans, Steelers and Ravens. Reschedule games of those teams because some players tested positive, but when it comes to a mediocare team like the Broncos, who can't find a QB on their roster to use, the nfl does nothing. How fair is that to teams like the Buccaneers, Seahawks and Cardinals? Putting the Broncos into a situation to play a game without a nfl level QB, is not only wrong, but it is unethical.

-Perhaps if goodell had spent a little bit more time preparing for a situation like the one that the Broncos find themselves in now, the nfl could have better options in place. goodell was more focused on him and his league appearing to be more "politically correct". The nfl owners need to get together and get rid of him at the end of this year. A man making $4-5 million a year in salary and annual compensation of over $40+ million, needs to do a better job.

- I heard a rumor that every nfl team has said that they would be willing to chip in as much money as needed to help bring QB guru Mark Whipple to work with Patrick Mahomes.

The nfl owners need to get together and get rid of him at the end of this year. A man making $4-5 million a year in salary and annual compensation of over $40+ million, needs to do a better job.

He makes the NFL owners money hand over fist, and THAT is his number one job. They aren't getting rid of him. The only reason that they'd get rid of him is if they somehow decided that someone else could make them even more money. Which seems unlikely.

He makes the NFL owners money hand over fist, and THAT is his number one job. They aren't getting rid of him. The only reason that they'd get rid of him is if they somehow decided that someone else could make them even more money. Which seems unlikely.
I understand that, but the decision to make the Broncos play without an NFL level QB involves league integrity. When league integrity comes into question, money coming into the league will decrease.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
The Broncos should have just said f it and punted every first down. One completed pass? Playing an NFL game without a QB is a forfeit.

Amazingly New Orleans only completed 9 for 78 yards. Some of that was due to not having to throw it much, and some was due to Taysom Hill being in no way an NFL QB.

Not sure if we will ever see an NFL game again with less than 100 combined passing yards. You could play in a tsunami and have more than that easily.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
That decision is not going to cost the NFL even as much as a penny.

Even though I pretty much knew what the answer would be I tried to get down a New Orleans money line bet parlayed with the under late last night and early this morning. Wouldve paid slightly better than even money but was rejected everywhere as being correlated. Times have changed, I used to call guys scumbags and shot takers who did that stuff and now here I am trying to take shots myself.

- If I'm the ACC, I make sure that the University of Notre Dame is quite aware of just how much they owe the Atlantic Coast Conference. The reality of it is, the ACC bent over backwards to help Notre Dame have a football season this year. If it wasn't for ACC, Notre Dame may have played 4 or 5 games against a bunch of teams from the FCS and NCAA D-II levels, IF they were interested in playing Notre Dame. By doing what they did, the ACC legitimized Notre Dame's schedule for this year. They also gave them an legit opportunity to have a chance to play in the National Championship Playoffs. Without the ACC's help. Notre Dame is probably 5-0 and sitting at home over the upcoming holidays, wondering what could have been for them.
It's time for the Irish to given serious consideration to joining the ACC as a complete member.

-The nfl looks really bad right now. All season long, they have postponed or rescheduled games when the Coronavirus made a visit to nfl teams. They really didn't need to do what they did, because there are 50+ players available on each team. The teams who had the issues just play the game with the players that tested negative. Did the nfl do that??? No, they did not.
What they did was arbitrarily rescheduled games that they knew had playoff level teams and/or nfl super stars on them. Was this done to maintain a competitive balance? was this done to help the league pull in more money?
It just seems rather questionable to watch them cater to the needs of the Titans, Steelers and Ravens. Reschedule games of those teams because some players tested positive, but when it comes to a mediocare team like the Broncos, who can't find a QB on their roster to use, the nfl does nothing. How fair is that to teams like the Buccaneers, Seahawks and Cardinals? Putting the Broncos into a situation to play a game without a nfl level QB, is not only wrong, but it is unethical.

-Perhaps if goodell had spent a little bit more time preparing for a situation like the one that the Broncos find themselves in now, the nfl could have better options in place. goodell was more focused on him and his league appearing to be more "politically correct". The nfl owners need to get together and get rid of him at the end of this year. A man making $4-5 million a year in salary and annual compensation of over $40+ million, needs to do a better job.

- I heard a rumor that every nfl team has said that they would be willing to chip in as much money as needed to help bring QB guru Mark Whipple to work with Patrick Mahomes.

Great point on Notre Dame. Although I am sure the ACC also knew that Norte Dame would enhance ACC image as well. But its time ND just joined and lets revamp the league so you play more teams more often.

One team that gets overlooked in all the COVID NFL fiasco is Buffalo. Their schedule got screwed up too by the Titans covid issues and ended up playing Titans and Chiefs on revamped schedules. Now this week they were supposed to play at San Francisco but I don’t believe 49ers are allowed in their stadium. I would not at all be shocked if the NFL had to shutdown and delay until Spring like the NBA and NHL had to delay.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Acc is not going to force nd to join full time or get out. They have an agreed upon deal that benefits both sides. If/when nd wants to join full time they will.

If I were the acc though I'd try to revisit the rule where you have to play round robin to not have divisions. Maybe the big 10 would be more receptive this time around.

I've said from the beginning that the NFL should have given each team 3 weeks to make-up games: 1) their normal bye week; 2) an extra bye week during the course of the regular season; and 3) week 18. This would have meant pushing back the Super Bowl 1 week, but who cares? There won't be fans there and nothing else is going on in Tampa the following week anyway. It's professional negligence that the league is continually in a "will they play or won't they play" posture every week with these games because they gave themselves no wiggle room.

The other damning thing, as you said, is that Goodell and the League are not giving equal treatment. The Ravens get games pushed back to help them try to field a squad. The 49ers and Broncos are forced to start practice squad players and get embarrassed. Like the League's weak discipline with respect to the Titans having illegal practices and breaking protocols, it's totally inconsistent. Goodell just wants this to go away. He doesn't care at all that he's screwing certain teams and rewarding others.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
One team that gets overlooked in all the COVID NFL fiasco is Buffalo. Their schedule got screwed up too by the Titans covid issues and ended up playing Titans and Chiefs on revamped schedules. Now this week they were supposed to play at San Francisco but I don’t believe 49ers are allowed in their stadium. I would not at all be shocked if the NFL had to shutdown and delay until Spring like the NBA and NHL had to delay.

Not happening. We've played 11 weeks, the NFL will play the rest come hell or high water.

Current option is for the 49ers to play their games in the Arizona Cardinals stadium and count those as home games. IIRC, that's what the League did for the Saints after Katrina when the Superdome was unavailable (i.e., they played in San Antonio).

I think San Diego played a game or two in Arizona when there were wild fires years ago... I was thinking, if no fans, why not play at Nevada - Reno...

Great point on Notre Dame. Although I am sure the ACC also knew that Norte Dame would enhance ACC image as well. But its time ND just joined and lets revamp the league so you play more teams more often.

For me, I'd rather see shut it down right now and pick it up later, say February 2021. The nfl is starting to make poor decisions. There is NO WAY that a team like the Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks plays games without an legitimate nfl level QB.
I would absolutely love to see what the nfl does if a team playing in the Super Bowl gets into the same situation as the Broncos. I bet they postpone that game.

Acc is not going to force nd to join full time or get out. They have an agreed upon deal that benefits both sides. If/when nd wants to join full time they will.

If I were the acc though I'd try to revisit the rule where you have to play round robin to not have divisions. Maybe the big 10 would be more receptive this time around.
Their deal does not include coming to the rescue of Notre Dame football during a pandemic.
The catering to Notre Dame football needs to come to an end at some point and this just may be the time. I'd rather see a team like UCF join the ACC. then Notre Dame.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Fan interest will diminish once people realize that the nfl gives the better team an advantage.

Yes, good call. The Ravens are clearly better than the Stillers.

What's that? Oh, you meant good last year. Yeah, good point then. I mean if the 49ers had WON the Super Bowl then they would have gotten some advantages, but they lost so they were only the second best team, so who cares about them.

Yes, good call. The Ravens are clearly better than the Stillers.

What's that? Oh, you meant good last year. Yeah, good point then. I mean if the 49ers had WON the Super Bowl then they would have gotten some advantages, but they lost so they were only the second best team, so who cares about them.
Joe...Stop being a yinzer and take the Steelers out of the equation. Any team battling with the Saints for either a division title or conference playoff spot should be upset.
The commissioner of any league must ALWAYS put the leagues integrity as his most important goal. Goodell clearly did not do that. He has shown bias towards certain teams and that is something that the nfl owners should never allow to happen.
I am not a fan of the Broncos but what he did with them this past weekend is shameful. He could have did exactly what he is doing with the Ravens-Steelers game. His actions should be the cause of his dismissal.
The rules of the league should be applied to all teams equally, end of story.

Joe...Stop being a yinzer and take the Steelers out of the equation.

I'm pretty sure the 49ers aren't the Stillers, but maybe you have some information that shows otherwise?

You said that the NFL "gives the better team an advantage" and I pointed out two clear and obvious examples of how that wasn't so. I'm not sure what else I could say to address your point other than to point out how it was obviously wrong.

In any event, the notion that this is costing the NFL fan interest or money is laughably false.

Their deal does not include coming to the rescue of Notre Dame football during a pandemic.
The catering to Notre Dame football needs to come to an end at some point and this just may be the time. I'd rather see a team like UCF join the ACC. then Notre Dame.
UCF is in the top 3 schools by enrollment in the US. As those grads add up so too will their clout.
I am a strong advocate of adding UCF to the ACC for the numbers they bring now (If Wake Forest is in...) and what the future holds. You plant seeds were they will grow.

The ACC didn’t pave the way for ND to get into the playoffs and get absolutely nothing in return. A drug deal was completed. One day we will find out

Reactions: jivecat
The ACC didn’t pave the way for ND to get into the playoffs and get absolutely nothing in return. A drug deal was completed. One day we will find out
Don't be surprised if the Pope or some high ranking Cardinals are behind this. This is going all the way up the ladder.

I'm pretty sure the 49ers aren't the Stillers, but maybe you have some information that shows otherwise?

You said that the NFL "gives the better team an advantage" and I pointed out two clear and obvious examples of how that wasn't so. I'm not sure what else I could say to address your point other than to point out how it was obviously wrong.

In any event, the notion that this is costing the NFL fan interest or money is laughably false.
Clearly you must have missed how the nfl made the Denver Broncos play their game without an nfl quality QB and how they bent over backwards to accommodate the Ravens and steelers.

Without the ACC agreeing to have several of its teams play ND this year, the Irish play 4 or 5 meaningless games and then go home for the holidays.

Clearly you must have missed how the nfl made the Denver Broncos play their game without an nfl quality QB and how they bent over backwards to accommodate the Ravens and steelers.

If you think that what they did was to accommodate the Stillers you have lost your mind. The Stillers got screwed by what they did, just like they got screwed earlier this year with the Titans fiasco.

Reactions: Tanat

1. ND will do whatever they want next year. They couldn’t give two you know what’s for what the ACC did for them. The only thing that helps the ACC is the equal split of possibly two teams in the playoff.
2. None of those schedule changes you talked about benefited the Steelers. It hurt them actually.

Reactions: Tanat and TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT