ADVERTISEMENT

A look at the players

Pete108K11

Scholarship
Feb 9, 2016
Before the season I had this Luther led Pitt team with 12 or 13 wins. So that is my base line for evaluation of next year’s team. Since it is likely most of next year’s four opponents we play twice will be easier than this year’s, next season I would look for 16-17 wins.

Wins and losses aside, let me evaluate the players. Boykins, Peace and George are irrelevant, just taking up space. Milligan has improved but will be gone.

JW-F: as a volume shooter is not as good as say Clyde Vaughn; JW-F has no midrange game. His shots have little arc, thus it is hard to find a kind rim. He can take the ball to the hoop, but does not take advantage of his frame (pun intended). I would like to see him create more contact on his layups by leaning into the defender. If he would only get set and square before he shoots.... look at his foul shooting he is set and square to the hoop and may lead the league in %.

Carr: I believe it is possible to covert a shooting guard to a point guard. Whether Marcus has a good enough handle is my concern. His decision making will improve when and if the players around him provide some outlets. He'd be better on a running team.

Chuk: He is just fine as a reserve and if he can add weight will be a 4.5 point 5 rebound 12 minute a game guy.

Stewart: Splitting time between the 2 and 3 positions looks to be to be a 10 point a game scorer. He lacks a quick first step on both sides of the ball, but I think makes up for it with his smarts. He gets tips, steals and rebounds simply by knowing where to be on the court. A skill not shared by anyone else on the team. So he will guard the weakest link on the other team, somebody has to.

Brown: slow--- whether it is athleticism (I hope not) or he thinks too much; Brown has to go to a big man camp over the summer and develop a couple of go to moves.

Davis: on offense please do something, do anything, shoot the ball or even turn it over. Passing him the ball is passing into a deadzone. He is fine on defense.

Stevenson: maybe he has Trumphands, while I applaud his aggressiveness the ball seems to fly in all directions when he drives to the hoop, half the time it gets tipped or mishandled. I have seen him pull up and hit 15 foot shots, like to see more of that. He is an undersized four so unless he takes advantage of pulling bigger players away from the basket, then he has little value.

I'm confused. You admit you predicted 12-13 wins (with Luther) and you have watched this season and think that was an appropriate projection? Then you think we should add 4 wins to that projection next season?

I can appreciate the optimism, and hopeful that you may be right, but the wins we have this year are the same whether we have Luther or not, he is not moving the needle on a team that is consistently getting pounded. Maybe we sneak out one more win, but this team was not going to be competitive this year. So, we add Luther (assuming he stays healthy) Ellison, Kingsby and Golden. I don't see that getting us more than 2-3 ACC wins next year unless there is some significant growth. Ultimately, Stewart was the only player that really exhibited growth as the year went on. Most of the others have regressed.

Also, the idea that Kene will be a bench contributor and getting 5 rebounds in 12 minutes is laughable. Right now he averages 6.3 per 40 minutes and has only reached the 5 rebound mark 4 times this year which is 3 games less than perimeter player Kham Davis.

If Kene is playing 12 minutes a game next year then we are likely to be about a 10 win team.

I can appreciate the optimism, and hopeful that you may be right, but the wins we have this year are the same whether we have Luther or not, he is not moving the needle on a team that is consistently getting pounded. Maybe we sneak out one more win, but this team was not going to be competitive this year. So, we add Luther (assuming he stays healthy) Ellison, Kingsby and Golden. I don't see that getting us more than 2-3 ACC wins next year unless there is some significant growth. Ultimately, Stewart was the only player that really exhibited growth as the year went on. Most of the others have regressed.

Also, the idea that Kene will be a bench contributor and getting 5 rebounds in 12 minutes is laughable. Right now he averages 6.3 per 40 minutes and has only reached the 5 rebound mark 4 times this year which is 3 games less than perimeter player Kham Davis.

If Kene is playing 12 minutes a game next year then we are likely to be about a 10 win team.

Kene playing "12 minutes a game next year" does not IMO translate into more wins. I agree, it is "laughable" with him getting those kind of minutes.
However, the OP did make some decent points in his evaluation of our players. But once
again, without a major infusion of talent, we can't do all that much better than this year
because these players can only improve so much. Experience alone will get us a few more out of conference wins against the low mid majors who beat us this year. As far
as the ACC.... I can't imagine this group with Luther, Ellison, and the very average verbals
we presently have getting us more than two wins...IF that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT