ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Wells 4 man who can really shoot

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Moving on from Thiero. For those want a shooting 4 like Blake, this is a perfect fit. Wells a Wash St transfer is a great shooter, like Blake shot 42% from 3. Put up 13 PPG but really was more like a 15 PPG guy. He was a D2 All American, their coach didn’t seem to know what he had early on as he had games where he played 2 and 4 minutes putting up 0 points, and didn’t really get serious PT until about 10 games in.

I know some will take this the wrong way…so Please RELAX. No he will not be All ACC like Blake. But he is a better all around player. Better defender, handle, athlete. What he does really well is when you run him off the 3 pt line he is good at getting a quality mid range shot or driving and finishing at the rim. BTW if you foul him he is 82% FT.

He is a long 6’8” who is on the NBA’s radar as a possible 3 & D wing. Helped lead them to NCAA tour with some big games such as 27 in a win vs Arizona where he hit 6-10 from 3. Don’t know his school list but hope JC gets on him. He would start at the 4, be the best shooter on the team.

Last edited:
No one thought Blake would sniff all ACC before he became Blake. The question is, where did all the money for thiero appear from and why wasn’t it used for better players than corhen and Dunn? I figured they were tapped out, but if they had their money, makes you wonder. Or maybe landing corhen and Dunn proved to boosters Capel could pull in some decent players while keeping Lowe and Leggett.

No one thought Blake would sniff all ACC before he became Blake. The question is, where did all the money for thiero appear from and why wasn’t it used for better players than corhen and Dunn? I figured they were tapped out, but if they had their money, makes you wonder. Or maybe landing corhen and Dunn proved to boosters Capel could pull in some decent players while keeping Lowe and Leggett.
Do u not realize Corhen is the best scoring presence we have had at Pitt in 4 or 5 years. And besides hugley close to a decade. And Dunn should be a solid scorer as well. Those were to very good pickups

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Do u not realize Corhen is the best scoring presence we have had at Pitt in 4 or 5 years. And besides hugley close to a decade. And Dunn should be a solid scorer as well. Those were to very good pickups

4 or 5 years? He'll be the best offensive 5 since Blair but that doesnt say much. I dont count Mike Young playing out of position. All his points came on mid-range jumpers anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585
4 or 5 years? He'll be the best offensive 5 since Blair but that doesnt say much. I dont count Mike Young playing out of position. All his points came on mid-range jumpers anyway.
so a) pitt dont have the money for a guy like theiro, their is no way pitt has the money to get someone like wells. He is very highly sought after
B) corhen is gonna average 12-15 a game next year. He missed some time with injury last year and was slow to return. He can shoot and stretch the defense and also be an elite roll man

I am stoked for Corhen. I just thought they were low on funds after Lowe, Leggett, and Corhen. But some have said they had a generous offer for Thiero. So not sure if they had funds all along or if Corhen and keeping Lowe/Leggett prompted donors to dig deeper.

I believe donors will pony up the $$$ for certain players a la Bub and Thiero. If it’s an average portal guy, they go away.

Is Thiero really much better than average? Why is he better than Corhen or Dunn, or Leggett last year?
He may not be, it’s because he’s local, he’s garnering more interest and $$.
And he has potential to be a top 2025 draft pick.

This is my take on the situation! Nice to know it is possible.

This is my take on the situation! Nice to know it is possible.

I am wondering if we are just tapped put with Lowe, Leggett, Corhen, Dunn. That's got to be around $1.5 million there. Then you have the rest of the roster. So we may be at $2 million. Being that Thiero is local, some of the bigger fish may have been willing but had he not been local, I doubt we offer anything competitive and its not looking like we can remain in the market for any other top transfers.

I am wondering if we are just tapped put with Lowe, Leggett, Corhen, Dunn. That's got to be around $1.5 million there. Then you have the rest of the roster. So we may be at $2 million. Being that Thiero is local, some of the bigger fish may have been willing but had he not been local, I doubt we offer anything competitive and its not looking like we can remain in the market for any other top transfers.
Like I said " I think given the right person there is more to go"! I have no problem with a certain amount to work with unless we have a chance a difference maker!

He's probably not worth what A412 was going to pay. He was ranked like #75 in the portal. There are SO MANY good players left, Pitt could wind up with a better player even cheaper.
Totally agree. Staff knows talent. We will end up with a guy who is better for our team than Thiero and this guy won’t cost much if anything. It will be an under the radar guy like Ish.

Totally agree. Staff knows talent. We will end up with a guy who is better for our team than Thiero and this guy won’t cost much if anything. It will be an under the radar guy like Ish.
I’d say the staff doesn’t know much. 1 Ncaa play in game in 6 years backs that up. If they know talent as you say, then their coaching is even worse that I thought.

I’ll await the Covid, media and fan excuses from the usual suspects.

I asked above if Thiero was really much better than average. Local kid, would have been a nice pickup and addition to the team but once Cal and Ark got involved, have to really question if the $$$ to land him makes sense relative to other options.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I asked above if Thiero was really much better than average. Local kid, would have been a nice pickup and addition to the team but once Cal and Ark got involved, have to really question if the $$$ to land him makes sense relative to other options.
I jus wanna know who the " other options " are

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT