ADVERTISEMENT

A&M going after Franklin?

This is almost certainly just a rumor. And it wouldn't surprise me if it was started by Franklin himself. Regardless of who started it, he's at his peak right now, and he is taking full advantage of that and trying to milk that university for even more money than he's already gotten them to commit.

And of course, they are more than happy to oblige.
Best theory I have heard all day. No better way renegotiate for more money up there.

What I am hearing. (WIAH): Money wasnt the issue. Texas AM had To guarantee 70 million dollars over 10 years to lure him. Franklin owes 2 million dollars to PSU for his recently signed buyout but Texas AM boosters paying. Sumlin will/was relieved of duties and Franklin will be named HC as soon as Saturday. Again, CBS Sports college football insiders Dennis Dodd has been following story and laying it out there.

I should have prefaced it by saying Dennis Dodd is probably the worse college football writer in the business. Has had many other phony type reports (I think during some of the conference realignment). He is also a big fan of Jay Paterno and tweeted high praise for him when he won the board election.

FWIW, O'Brien was an offensive coordinator at Duke before he went to the Patriots as an offensive assistant. Franklin was an OC at K State prior to going to Vanderbilt where he finished with a 24-15 record over a 3 year period. They haven't exactly ripped away permier HCs from other P5 programs with their last 2 hires.
How would you grade those two hires?

how in the hell does PSU have the #3 recruiting class for 2018?

Pitt is finished, with PSU and OSU recruiting like this they don't stand a chance in the immediate future

FWIW, O'Brien was an offensive coordinator at Duke before he went to the Patriots as an offensive assistant. Franklin was an OC at K State prior to going to Vanderbilt where he finished with a 24-15 record over a 3 year period. They haven't exactly ripped away permier HCs from other P5 programs with their last 2 hires.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney were also coordinators before they were Head Coaches. So was Bill Belichick and Mike McCarthy. What is your point?

Just wait until you see the final prospects for the 2018 class.
I have read this 5 times and I still have no idea what point you are trying to make. So it's only a good hire if you rip away a premier HC from another Power 5 school? RichRod to Michigan is the closest example I can think of to what you are describing...how did that work out?

I heard he has actually moved on from that TA&M HC job and already hosted a network morning show with Kathy Lee - this morning. Rumor has it he will be announcing his presidential candidacy Monday and SCOTUS appointment should be through Congress by mid-week.

Trump is going to appoint Franklin as the new Secretary of State this weekend after he fires Tillerson.

Reactions: sjw5065
how in the hell does PSU have the #3 recruiting class for 2018?

Pitt is finished, with PSU and OSU recruiting like this they don't stand a chance in the immediate future

whoa is us....we stand no chance. We are doomed!

Go cheer for the nits then if that would make you happy.

whoa is us....we stand no chance. We are doomed!

Go cheer for the nits then if that would make you happy.

Well we don't stand a chance in the recruiting wars which is over half the battle. Sorry I don't see anything positive while Franklin and Meyer are still around this area. Still don't understand how Franklin is doing this because he doesn't seem to be that good of a game day coach

Well we don't stand a chance in the recruiting wars which is over half the battle. Sorry I don't see anything positive while Franklin and Meyer are still around this area. Still don't understand how Franklin is doing this because he doesn't seem to be that good of a game day coach

better talent hides a lot of game day coaching flaws.

Reactions: pbrad
I sure hope Franklin doesn't leave for A&M. Penn St might hire someone I respect to replace him. What fun would that be? It's more fun to hate them when they have that arrogant clown for a coach.

I'm still not convinced that he's a great coach. I think they were pretty lucky last year, let's see how the rest of this year plays out. Barkley and Moorhead are making him look good.

He's an excellent recruiter at the biggest school in the northeast. It would be interesting to see how he would do down there against Texas, Oklahoma, and the other schools in Texas and the SEC.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I sure hope Franklin doesn't leave for A&M. Penn St might hire someone I respect to replace him. What fun would that be? It's more fun to hate them when they have that arrogant clown for a coach.

I'm still not convinced that he's a great coach. I think they were pretty lucky last year, let's see how the rest of this year plays out. Barkley and Moorhead are making him look good.

He's an excellent recruiter at the biggest school in the northeast. It would be interesting to see how he would do down there against Texas, Oklahoma, and the other schools in Texas and the SEC.
Name the last great coach who didn't have great players and assistance. You could say the same thing about Saban and Meyer. If you take away all their 4 and 5 star players and top assistant coaches, they wouldn't be as good. The statement is accurate, but it's pointless. Being a good coach means recruiting good players and hiring good assistants.

Reactions: Hotshoe
First of all, Franklin is not going to A&M. But say if he did. Here is the difference between the Pennsylvania State University and the University of Pittsburgh. At least where football is concerned.

Pitt dabbles in football and revels in our history of having some of the finest players in the sports history walk our hallowed halls. That's pretty much good enough. Penn State is identified with and by their football program. It is the heartbeat of central PA.

If Pat Narduzzi would leave tomorrow, most like Pitt's next coach would be some hot coordinator, or even because of frustration a "Pittsburgh" guy. That's pretty much the list.

If James Franklin would leave tomorrow, PSU is not looking at the Coordinator Du Jour. And despite some internal Paterno sycophants, they will not be looking for a PSU guy. They will go out and hire a Justin Fuentes. Because they can.

That is why I cringe and laugh when I see Pitt fans blast PSU as not being a major football program. Yes they are. Money and support talks. They are a power broker.
I totally agree with everything you said. But saying penn State would be looking at the coordinator is not giving Moorhead nearly enough credit. He's a huge reason, maybe the biggest for their recent success. He is certainly going to be getting job offers soon. If Franklin for some strange reason leaves they would be insane not to give him a serious look. Maybe they wouldn't actually hire him, but I really don't think they wanna lose him.

Actually since I don't really see Franklin even considering this job, maybe A&M should just go after Moorhead.

Name the last great coach who didn't have great players and assistance. You could say the same thing about Saban and Meyer. If you take away all their 4 and 5 star players and top assistant coaches, they wouldn't be as good. The statement is accurate, but it's pointless. Being a good coach means recruiting good players and hiring good assistants.

I didn't say all of his 4 and 5 star players and top assistants, I said Barkley and Moorhead. Let's see if he maintains his current level when those two are gone. Saban and Meyer just reload, we'll see if Franklin is capable of doing that.

Agreed. PITT went through a worse stretch with PSU, OK State, and GT.
PITT also had those opponents early in the season which is a death sentence. Penn State at lest has time to see what each team looks like. Playing 2 top ten teams and a team that should be ranked in the top 25 the first couple games is hard to get passed.

Reactions: VAPITTALUM
Just wait until you see the final prospects for the 2018 class.

I have read this 5 times and I still have no idea what point you are trying to make. So it's only a good hire if you rip away a premier HC from another Power 5 school? RichRod to Michigan is the closest example I can think of to what you are describing...how did that work out?
You don't understand it because you didn't read the post I was replying to. I never said those hires weren't solid, that's a completely different topic.

PITT also had those opponents early in the season which is a death sentence. Penn State at lest has time to see what each team looks like. Playing 2 top ten teams and a team that should be ranked in the top 25 the first couple games is hard to get passed.

And Pitt lost half its team to graduation and self imposed suspension to 2 of our best players (and certainly our best)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT